An organic bug killer for the garden, I'm going to see how the grass hoppers and crickets like it this year. They are my biggest problem, as far as bugs go.

I tried some on a snail yesterday, it certainly didn't like it, no toxins, all natural, so if a bird eats a bug that DE has killed, he's perfectly safe.

Slugs and snails? AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Snails don't half crunch when you stand on them. If I am up early on a wet morning, I nip round the garden with a torch and take a few out.

Around here, we have fat lazy frogs, overfed and too full to eat anymore bugs. The crickets around here grew to almost swarming size last year, been years since I've seen crickets that big, by swarming, I mean almost as big as locusts.

I've got some DE haven't tried it yet though. They say its one of the few things that works on Bedbugs. Haven't got Bedbugs but they are quite a problem as I understand it and easily picked up in hotels/motels. Hope I never find out.

I certainly do not want to use any poisons on my garden. I bought a book of natural remedies. Seems to feature a lot of soapy water, garlic, and even whiskey in some recipes. Not sure if that's to kill the bugs or make you forget you've got any.

Quite a few frogs around, but I'm not sure if they pull their weight or not. They say a friendly Black snake is good to have around the garden, but I don't have one and not sure I want one!

• Upvote 1

When we had chickens we used diatomaceous earth in their feed - it kept their innards free from parasites. They could pick up a nasty worm parasite if they ate an infested slug. And they couldn`t half get through some slugs in a day.

Anyway - point is it didn`t harm the birds, only the nasties.

• Upvote 1

Chickens pick up worms from wild bird droppings, I usually worm my birds about once a year, but now you mention it, I'll drop some DE into their water. It's also a detox for humans, supposed to remove heavy metals and parasites from our bodies.

Dave, loads of black snakes around here, although they don't have venom, they can inflict a nasty bite.

• Upvote 1

We had a guy in the church a few years ago who had a Black snake in his garden, he even named it. :-). Said it really kept the bugs down and seemed quite friendly. To me, a snake is a snake and I'm not fond of 'em. Didn't know they had quite a bite though.

I kill any I find around the chicken house, they "have eye's bigger than their belly" as me "owd Mam" used to say of me. They will get in the roof space at night, hang down and slime a chicken, chickens are way too big for them, but they end up killing them. Young birds don't stand a chance against them. They also swallow chicken eggs. They are attracted to the chicken house by mice.

And don't forget, they kill the good guys, frogs and lizards!

That's because plants are vegans>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>where's me 'at and coat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Upvote 2

There's always one...

My wife tells me that by killing slugs I'm taking away birds food. I think there is enough to go round.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another little insect eater, the Sundew. These are locally common in the Caithness and Sutherland bogs. this one was photographed near the Garvault Inn, Sutherland - the most remote inn in Britain (they say):

IMG_3460_zpsfxy4rhrq.jpg