William Shakespeare

Its about 400 years since Shakespeare died ,not everything is known about him..no real birthdate just a date when he was baptised.There was no one to carry on the family,he had 3 children and one grand daughter who died childless.

But he did write good plays.Many quotes and phrases of his we still use.

NEVER A BORROWER OR LENDER BE

A SORRY SIGHT

NOTHING VENTURED NOTHING GAINED

AND ONE I HADNT HEARD UNTIL TODAY

`HELL IS EMPTY AND ALL THE DEVILS ARE HERE`

• Upvote 3

Hell is empty and all the devils are here.........how true........

2 B or not 2 B was what a teacher at our school used to say every day as he was the class teacher of class 2B, he was nuts though......

• Upvote 2

I read somewhere that there is a school of thought that Shakespeare didn't actually write many of those plays, etc.. Probably an urban myth but who knows?

• Upvote 2

I read the same thing Compo, there is speculation that he was used by a very well educated and wealthy lady to publish her works. Said lady is said to have travelled extensively to places mentioned in the works, whereas himself hadn't.

Still as they say 'A rose by any other name smells just as sweet'

• Upvote 1

Never liked Shakespeare plays myself, couldn't understand what all the hype was about, boring rubbish..........

• Upvote 1

My favourite quote from Two Gentlemen of Verona (Act 4, Scene 4). Lance talking to his dog.

"When didst thou see me heave up my leg and make water against a gentlewoman's farthingale? Didst ever see me do such a trick?"

• Upvote 2

I disagree with the notion (oft proffered by theatrical luvvies) that Shakespeare was the greatest ever playwright. During his lifetime (and in the years before and since) there must have been thousands of playwrights. Statistically, the quality of their work would follow Normal Distribution (most average, some above and some below). Even if he were at the top end of his game, several others would be close; it's just that they didn't get published. Shakespeare had the connections and good fortune to gain the status that would nowadays be called celebrity.

Or maybe I just don't 'get' Shakespeare (despite being force-fed Macbeth for my English Lit. O Level). I prefer the work of another literary celeb, Dickens, more 'down to earth' and relating social history of the 19th century.

• Upvote 2

First listened to a bit of Shakespeare in Henry Whipple junior school,.....but could'nt concentrate as my Wellies were chafeing a bit,.............

• Upvote 2

My favourite quote from Two Gentlemen of Verona (Act 4, Scene 4). Lance talking to his dog.

"When didst thou see me heave up my leg and make water against a gentlewoman's farthingale? Didst ever see me do such a trick?"

Why not try it ?.....

Love Dickens, the movies made of the books are ok too, Janet, Janet Donkeys, brilliant young copperfield, 1935 film the best, being an old F--T, love the film, and Barkis IS willing

Spent the last two evenings watching Henry IV Parts 1 and 2 on BBC4.

All-star cast, with Jeremy Irons, Tom Hiddleston, Julie Walters, and plenty of other top actors, and faithful to the original writings.

Henry V tomorrow night! I will go once more into the breech from the comfort of my sofa.

Beginning to regret that when I made my only trip to the RSC at Stratford, I spent more time consuming pints of Stella than paying attention to the performance. But I was only 14 at the time, and I did get to see Princess Margaret there.

• Upvote 1

I do tend to like Shakespeare, but it takes exceptional acting for it to become truly fascinating. Movies are OK but to get totally immersed in live theatre is something else.

I recall Ian McKellen as Iago in Othello, probably at the Barbican theatres, and it was not a big theatre, very close and intimate, and he crept along the aisles giving his act in a stage whisper, but very very creepy and slimy and dishonest, as Iago definitely is. I cannot recall ever deeply hating a character in a play as much as that. Absolutely compelling acting.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...
On 4/26/2016 at 8:52 PM, The Engineer said:

I disagree with the notion (oft proffered by theatrical luvvies) that Shakespeare was the greatest ever playwright. 

Or maybe I just don't 'get' Shakespeare (despite being force-fed Macbeth for my English Lit. O Level). I prefer the work of another literary celeb, Dickens, more 'down to earth' and relating social history of the 19th century.

I know it's quoting from four years ago, but I absolutely agree with this. I think Shakespeare is the greatest example of "king's new clothes" ever perpetrated. I was forced to read quite a lot of MR S - doing O and A level English - and I really don't understand what all the fuss is about.

I find his work very difficult to  understand, with dated, melodramatic, incomprehensible (to me) language. Either reading it or listening to actors speak it, I simply don't understand what's going on.

Give me Dickens any day.

Shakespeare is about life and you can't know much about life until you've lived it, with all its vicissitudes.  I have never understood why his work is set for O and A level for that very reason. All it achieves is the setting up of barriers and prejudice against his work.

DIckens, for me, was a no no for many years, due to being forced to read him at school when I was 5 or 6 because I'd read everything else they had.  A terrible thing to do to a child who loves books.

I love Dickens now...and Shakespeare. But Jane Austen? :blink:

I’ve never been a reader of fiction. I want facts and information. I have a large collection of reference books on every subject under the sun. I can attempt anything from an appendectomy to stripping down a gearbox. I must admit I have yet to try the former but my time will come!

Not on me, it won't!

I'm not a huge fan of fiction either. However, I have a love of language which the likes of Shakespeare and Dickens fulfils which is why I can spend hours reading their work.  Modern language does absolutely nothing for me.