Waste Ground next to Fox, Valley Road

Long time lurker, first post!

I've been intrigued for ages by a patch of waste ground next to the Fox pub on Valley Road. Recently driving past I noticed that it seems to have a patch of reeds growing in the centre. So on Sunday I stopped there and took a couple of photos.

26580971902_a70a83b3a7_z.jpg

26068060464_84c9b285eb_z.jpg

My first though was that this might have been where the railway crossed Valley Road, but this was quickly disabused when I looked at the line of the railway. Checking old maps on the city council website shows this as tennis courts either side of WWII, so it was presumably an old recreation ground. The land backs on to the site of the Vernon Road works so I wondered if the two were associated.

More mapping here: OSM-Nottingham.

Many thanks,

SK53

• Upvote 3

Will have to have a look SK53,..........I would think the water source is from the old 'Daybrook' which flows into the Leen...............

Will have to have a look SK53,..........I would think the water source is from the old 'Daybrook' which flows into the Leen...............

The Daybrook emerges from a culvert under the Fox and then does a right-angle bend along the east side of the old sports ground. All easily visible from the overflow car park of the Fox.

I think it then turns again to run along the north side.

I presume one reason this hasn't been developed is that it's in the 10 or 25 year flood risk area for the Daybrook: there's an Env Agency paper about this which I read recently.

SK53

PS. Another project is to work out where the Daybrook culvert goes between the Fox & the High School playing fields.

Thought folk might be interested in a view of the area created with modern(ish) Environment Agency Lidar (laser scanning) data; steet overlay from OpenStreetMap:

26694061345_c06267d0de.jpg