You Couldn't Make this Up !

And I agree with you too Mary. Not sure we can ever all be equal, but we certainly should have equality of opportunity. 

I'd also like to see something done about the huge pay differential between bosses and workers, the ludicrous way that some people can 'earn' more in 'Director's Fees' just for turning up for a few hours board meetings per year than most of us earn in years,  and the huge gap in Govt spending between London and 'the rest.

That'll do for starters!

Col

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I volunteer as a community ambulance car driver and recently picked up a lady to take her to a hospital appointment. I greeted her with "hello sweetheart, going to the eye clinic are we?" "Tut tut" so

For any youngster reading this.   If you want a great education free and are prepared to work hard join HM forces as an officer.   My friends grandson went to what is now known as

One of the factors in my decision to emigrate was the class system.  I got more than a little tired of being told,. "The tradesmans entrance is at the back."   Often said with a toffee nosed disdain.  I can understand that some folks don't want you walking right through the house if the job is at the back that's o-k.  Just say so, don't act like Mrs Bucket.

I now realize there are class systems everywhere.  They are less obvious here in North America, but they are still there, mostly based on money.  In the UK they seemed to be more based on birth.  You could be born working class and if you won a million you would never break into the so called 'upper classes'.

My parents were, "working class and proud of it." types.  I guess I didn't see eye to eye with 'em on that.  My attitude has always been that I don't care who you are or where you were born. Treat me as an equal human being and I'll treat you the same way.  :rolleyes:

Rant over, sorry. :). It was all Mary's fault.  Lol.

Not much to do with education / apprenticeship.  I'm coming down with whatever Mrs. Loppy has this morning.  I think it's making me more carmudgeonly than normal.  :(

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I mostly agree with the previous two posts, but total equality is utter pie in the sky. You could distribute every penny in circulation between the population of the UK, and within a month, maybe less, there'd be millionaires, and then there'd be the penniless destitute.

As for birth denoting which category one falls into, well, that's a good one. How many lottery winners have changed from lower to upper  class solely on the result of winning a fortune ? Non I'll bet. 

I know folk with class, elegance and grace , but were born working class and had a good upbringing, and have worked hard for a better lifestyle.

I also know folks who have been born with the proverbial silver spoon in their mouths, and have squandered it woefully, and have plummeted down the social scale. 

Funny old world isn't it ?

• Like 6

I agree with you, Fly.  Maybe I misunderstand you a bit too.

I wasn't suggesting there could ever be total equality.  We are all born with different gifts and abilities and we gravitate to where we feel most comfortable and useful.  Usually anyway.  I guess my thoughts are that if you are born with enough ability to be a medical doctor you should not look down on the guy who empties your bin or fixes your car.  His services are necessary too.

My comment about birth determining your category is where I'm not quite sure whether you agree or not.  I simply meant if your are born little lord so and so you probably stay there.

I know it was fictional, but the tv series Upstairs Downstairs a few years ago portrayed it well.  Best you could hope for in the servant's hall was Butler and he sure kept the status quo.  If you were born to the upstairs crowd you stayed there for the most part.

As you said, funny old world.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes, I agree. The majority of the population tend to remain in their predetermined niche in life. 

I definately agree regarding the doctor/ bin man scenario. We all depend on one another at sometime. That's why I always acknowledge my bin man, window cleaner, postman etc. They're no better or worse a person than I am. 

• Like 4
58 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

I agree with you, Fly.  Maybe I misunderstand you a bit too.

I wasn't suggesting there could ever be total equality.  We are all born with different gifts and abilities and we gravitate to where we feel most comfortable and useful.  Usually anyway.  I guess my thoughts are that if you are born with enough ability to be a medical doctor you should not look down on the guy who empties your bin or fixes your car.  His services are necessary too.

My comment about birth determining your category is where I'm not quite sure whether you agree or not.  I simply meant if your are born little lord so and so you probably stay there.

I know it was fictional, but the tv series Upstairs Downstairs a few years ago portrayed it well.  Best you could hope for in the servant's hall was Butler and he sure kept the status quo.  If you were born to the upstairs crowd you stayed there for the most part.

As you said, funny old world.

Then there are the "Do you know who I am ?" types. The times I've had that thrown at me with the stock reply  "NO & I don't give a toss either"

• Like 2

'Social Mobility' is one of the answers to the rigidity of the class system.  However, how to make it happen is always contentious. It's been as much of a political football as education is for as long as I can recall.

Social mobility was one of the cornerstones of my work.  Opening young people's eyes to possibilities.. getting them to see beyond the end of the street or the local factory and believe that they could, with the right application.. do better.  But that is not the same as telling kids 'you can be anything you want to be'.  You can't, but you shouldn't let anything or anyone stop you from being the things that you can be. 

Another thing, which always strikes me is the way that many Brits have a problem differentiating between providing a service, and being servile.  It's related to what a couple of people have said about nobody being better than anyone else and seems to be a hangover from the old servant/master days.  The best way I can put it is that if two people both own restaurants, they should be able to swap roles easily between, customer and proprietor when visiting each other's premises.  They swap roles.. not worth.

Col

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ha, ha, that reminds me of a time many years ago, when I frequented Plessey Social Club at lunchtime. For years, I'd shown my membership card on entry, but one day, I was feeling confrontational and just strolled in, only to be apprehended by an officious little Captain Mannering ex corporal type. He stormed up to me, demanding to know if I was a member. I replied "yes" . He then stood in front of me and said "Yes what?". I replied "Yes I am" then made for the bar. I fully expected him to request that I salute, and call him "Sir". After that, I used to refer to him as 3P. Primal Donna, Pipsqueak Pr1ck. 

• Like 2

1970s Plessey subsidised lunches were great though! 50p for a big dinner and pudding - or was the pudding an extra 10p?

22 hours ago, loppylugs said:

more or less giving a prize just for showing up  

Spot on Loppy.............i attend a lot childrens sports events..........and see them coming out with big Trophies and Cups.......and they aint won owt,

All my years playing football and Cricket.....i got just one a tiny Medal in 1956,..........:angry:

I agree with most of what has been said about "equality" but wouldn't it be a fairer world if we could all have an equal start in life?

Most of us did not and children born now do not!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I'm afraid it's been the same since day one siddha, and nothing will ever change. Anyway, I was always told that life is what you make it !

The old social hierarchies still exist but realistically class these days is all about power and influence. All stems from nature's natural order of things, food chains, top predators, the survival of the fittest etc. As FLY said, make everyone equal and soon there will be winners and losers. 

I was reading about Napolean recently, part of the Revolution despite being well-born himself. After the king and aristos were turfed out and everyone became equal, Napolean was soon in power, next he's made his brother the King of Spain. Didn't take long for things to get back to normal. That 'comedy' that used to be on, To the Manor Born didn't make me laugh but was actually true to life.

Then there's the Old Boy Network, that bastion of the Upper Classes which now looks after all those who have power and money, doesn't matter whether you were born with a silver or plastic spoon in your mouth, perpetuating the divide. As Col said, and I agree totally, it's a disgrace the disparity between many directors and workers. For those at the very top it's a gravy train, for those at the bottom it's a zero hour contract if they're lucky.

Haven't a clue what the answer is though..

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

There isn't one ! We just keep plodding along

• Like 1

I feel sad today for the kids born to what are called Chavs over there.  Kid or kids born to a couple of drug and drink sozzled parents on welfare.  Even assuming there are two parents together.  Love and marriage are foreign concepts to them.

At best they are dragged up with an entitlement mentality and the idea that if you don't get what you want the answer is violence.  I guess it just becomes a self repeating cycle.  If a kid can break out of that he/she has done very well.

• Upvote 1

Just the same here loppy.  Oafs breed oafs, who breed oafs who in turn breed more oafs , and so it goes on infinitum.

• Like 1

Well said Margie. I noticed that when I sat people watching in H of F cafe this morning. LOL. 

Anyway, I'm only 72. 

• Upvote 1

Plodding on, very probably FLY. But if one looks around the world...there is a saying 'history repeats itself'. If the so-called burgeoning 'underclass' gets to a point where it has absolutely nothing to lose and the time, circumstances and charismatic folk bent on anarchy are all in place. Come the revolution... Scary..

• Like 2

Ben.  Re prizes just for showing up.

This procedure does the kids no favors.  After all if everybody gets the same prize anyway, why strive to be a winner at whatever one is trying to do?  In the end it will just result in mediocrity alround.

Edited to add:. Right on TBI. I fear that we are approaching that tipping point right now and it won't be pretty.  I can never understand why those in leadership can't understand this and show some genuine empathy.  Greed I guess.

• Like 3

Don't like to think i'm Plodding yet............but at the weekend had a game of Babminton and about 20 minutes five-aside football..........i was playing against 40 ish others........and while i still had the co-ordination my reactions were much slower....same as Fly 72,........still enjoyed it........went in goal and took my glasses off..........did'nt see the first 3 goals i let in........lol.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

I feel sad today for the kids born to what are called Chavs over there.  Kid or kids born to a couple of drug and drink sozzled parents on welfare.  Even assuming there are two parents together.  Love and marriage are foreign concepts to them.

At best they are dragged up with an entitlement mentality and the idea that if you don't get what you want the answer is violence.  I guess it just becomes a self repeating cycle.  If a kid can break out of that he/she has done very well.

It's just the same here loppy !

• Like 1

Same everywhere.  Hollyweird and television  along with a lot of rock and rap have been brainwashing 'em for years.  :(.  Not to mention deliberate dumbing down in the school system.  They recently did away with cursive writing here.  Now you just print.  Why learn anything if you can just pull it up on your phone.  Assuming you can read.

Rob them of their ability to think critically and soon you can have them all back to a Middle Ages serf type class.  Dangerous but serfs nonetheless.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

All Americans write the exactly same (cursive writing) which I've always found odd ..... there's no individuality in it.   

How many of us actually write much these days, apart from Birthday and Christmas cards oh and shopping lists which I personally find very necessary as I age!    

My favourite comedian Peter Kay did a sketch about going back to school after the 6 week summer holiday and not remembering how to write!!   

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1