You Couldn't Make this Up !

11 hours ago, IAN123. said:

I see the news broke their arse to stress "the alledged terror attacker today was a british national"...Grr!!

So the the cyclists and pedestrians run over by this evil cretin..have alledged injuries..why all this pusstfooting?..

I bet his name ain't JohnSmith.

No, it ain't John Smith, he goes by the traditional English name of Salih Khater https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45193781

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I volunteer as a community ambulance car driver and recently picked up a lady to take her to a hospital appointment. I greeted her with "hello sweetheart, going to the eye clinic are we?" "Tut tut" so

For any youngster reading this.   If you want a great education free and are prepared to work hard join HM forces as an officer.   My friends grandson went to what is now known as

Regarding the Morendi Bridge disaster. I obviously have deep sympathy for all those who have been, and are, suffering from it but (and this is probably not the right time to be querying this) what are those in charge doing about it?

Everybody who's who will be enquiring into what and why it happened there are so many "experts" who think they are right but even the real experts have their own theories. And certainly some heads will roll, as with the earthquake in Amatrice when the students house was destroyed.

5 hours ago, trogg said:

DJ360  since Uckna High Street has been pedestrianised it is just like being on holiday with the recent weather. Sitting outside, in the sun, at a café having a coffee, trying to understand what the locals are talking about as they walk past. Picking fault with everything about them and wondering why they cant be like us. LOL

That's the spirit!  :laugh:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

anyone hear that non-resident Brits could lose pensions after Brexit?

There's something here about it:

http://www.pensions-expert.com/Comment-Analysis/One-year-out-Brexit-is-still-a-major-pensions-risk?ct=true

• Like 1

I am lucky enough not to need my UK state pension so I don't draw it but, I remember some years ago, well before Brexit, that I was informed by the British Foreign Office that my pension was not guaranteed if I took up French citizenship.

I have not taken the plunge yet to become an honorary Frenchman as I still have property and business interests in England but, I have to say that the temptation to become a citoyen Français is becoming more and more powerful as the deadline approaches.

Here is a picture for you jonab it is now a pleasure to walk down the High Street. Plenty of room, no vehicles, no nasty fumes and a delight to sit outside of one of the many cafes with a coffee. Also many more people are using the Town centre now. Best thing to Happen to Hucknall for decades.

highst.jpg

• Like 6

Nice photo trogg.........almost like Bulwell  but only almost.....will have a gander down there one morning have a coffee with you,,,,went into Hucknall early evening bit back.....had a nice Curry in the Libiana (on the photo) and a couple of drinks in the 'Half moon' which was also very nice,,,very different from a few years ago........

• Like 1

Lizzie, I think you missed it by a whisker. When we go to the airport at the end of the motorway we turn left but to go towards Ventimiglia we turn right , so it would be opposite for you and we'd have missed it .

Just now, trogg said:

I have to admit Ben Bulwell has many fond memories for me and will always have a special place in my heart. There has always been that special something about the place.

Thanks, trogg. I would never have thought it possible.

Bibiana used to be Stallards shoe shop. The Boots used to be Wakefields Chemists and a bit further along is the Post office.

Sorry Indian place is 'Bibiana'..........funny how the inhabitants of Hucknall seem so different nowadays to Bulwell folk,, most people i now talk to in Hucknall seem to be from outside Notts,whereas Bulwell seem to more local,,probably because more new housing as taken place,,and the old Mining community is dying out ?

Your right Ben Hucknall is now a dormitory Town, the long term residents don't like it but its a fact they have to get use to. More and more housing is being built with no thought to road links, I am sure you know the problems in rush hour. At one time whatever you wanted you could buy in Hucknall but not now. It is like many other town centres , shops are closing and choice is very limited, but on the upside restaurants and cafes are opening up, no more coffee bars like we knew though.

Lizzie I have been able to find the bridge on Google Earth as I couldnt find anything on film and news clips that I recognised. Its further on after the airport from our end.  We would have passed over it many times going to the coast on that side. Can't remember if its before or after the Aquariam. I did notice that Google have already marked the part that collapsed.

Again many ideas of why and  how .

• Upvote 1

Back to uni topic.... I read a book about non intuitive economics (Freakonomics or sumat like that) & one chapter looked at the economics of going or not going to uni: If you can get it free (Scotland, some other countries?) then go for it if you can. If you have to pay then it's not so simple, if your parents are able & willing to pay then go for it. However if you have to take out loans then you have to factor in course fees, interest rates, how much time to pay, will you ever earn more over the years than you paid for the course plus interest? So many variables to take into account for self payers & no certainty it will be worth it... 

I went to Arnold & Carlton day release college (mining craft C1, C2 etc) paid for by NCB, the Royal School of Artillery (radio operator, radar operator & observation post assistant) paid for by army,  & ADI parts 1 (theory test) 2 (advanced driving test) & 3 (instructing test) paid for by myself. Made good money driving instructing till eyesight problems put the kybosh on things...

I've been twice. First time on a grant, second time I paid. Do I regret it?,  no

Was it worth it monetary terms? probably not, especially the send time around.

Then again I didn't put my learning to good use and get a job relevant to my qualifications until I was in my 40's.

A friend of mine holds a PhD in chemistry, worked as a research chemist for Shell but has spent most of his working life as a tax inspector!

Would I recommend a youngster to do it? That rather depends on what they want to do and how passionate they are about the subject. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...