• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eric’s shoe shop was next door to Flints newsagents which was owned by my wife’s grandparents. The shops here did very well as they got a lot of footfall from Players factories.

Indeed. A much better looking building than the 60s monstrosity which replaced it.

Looking at those photos of Maid Marion Way brought back memories of Brentford Nylons. Whilst searching through some drawers recently I came across some of their products. Several sheets, pillow cases

Safeway,Fords,curtess,Peter Lord,Lord John,Benbows,Littlewoods,Co-op,Dewhurts,Oddbins,Midland Wine,Texas Home care,Habitat,Peter Brown,Our Price Records,DER.

My life in defunct shops!!

Not a large store but a corner shop. As a boy in Mapperley I went to the Cub Scouts that was held in the recently built basement of Mapperley Methodist Church. Across the road on the corner of Eaton Street there was a corner shop run by a Pakistani family. I mention it only because the name on the outside of the shop was D R Sohal.

It took an older Cub Scout to point out the funny side of this name.

Geddit?

The shop now no longer exists and has been turned into a flat.

#5 Catfan

God there's a name from the past, Alex Owen, we rented our first colour tv from them, it caught fire first night ! but they replaced next day with a new one, which lasted a couple of years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When i lived in Cambs i helped two Asian chaps set up a shop their names were Kunte and Arshy...........took me ages to convince them not to put their names on it...............lol.

• Upvote 2

Had cause to drive into Aspley (roker close) and Nottstalgia forum came to mind thru the names of the roads that have all been mentioned on here,Minver crescent,Hilcot,Shernborne and many more........then onto Strelley rd and the shops that have gone recently Coop big store,Broxtowe lane both Coops,and the Cocked Hat Pub............things are changing so quickly.........

• Upvote 1

Worked two Christmases at Pork Farms factory in St Annes in the 60s, rendering lard, boiling polony, and linking sausages. 12 hour shifts, 6 'til 6, with fantastic pork-oriented breakfasts and lunches.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

MapperleyMan, 65 years ago I used to go to the Sunday School in the old basement of Mapperley Methodist - way before your time!!

• Upvote 2

I know we went to Primary School together, Phil, but did you also go to the same Sunday School as me then? Because you were christened there, you would have been on their 'Cradle Roll'.

I presume you meant you were christened in the church, not the basement ....

What about Wigfalls tv rentals? They had a shop on Clumber street. Me mam got a telly from there. Fourteen inch Ultra, B&W we thought it was great.

TV repair guy used to call it Wiggy's super service. That TV had a lot of issues over time.

I used to buy fishing tackle from a shop on Milton Street, just below Victoria Station. There was also one on Canal Street and another just down from Canning Circus on Ilkeston Road? Can't remember their names. Tom Sharpe rings a bell.

I know we went to Primary School together, Phil, but did you also go to the same Sunday School as me then? Because you were christened there, you would have been on their 'Cradle Roll'.

I presume you meant you were christened in the church, not the basement ....

No idea. I was too young to notice! I think my first Sunday School was held at Arno Vale School but this ultimately moved to the new church hall between Arno Vale Road and Wensley Road (behind the butcher's shop.) I remember this being built and seeing the Bishop of Southwell turning the first sod. I think it's now a library.

I went to my ballet classes in that church hall - bet you weren't there!