• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eric’s shoe shop was next door to Flints newsagents which was owned by my wife’s grandparents. The shops here did very well as they got a lot of footfall from Players factories.

Indeed. A much better looking building than the 60s monstrosity which replaced it.

Looking at those photos of Maid Marion Way brought back memories of Brentford Nylons. Whilst searching through some drawers recently I came across some of their products. Several sheets, pillow cases

Coop house Nottingham

coops broxtowe lane (2)

coop Bulwell

coop wollaton

coop carlton rd (2)

coop strelley

coop house Ilkeston

coop house Mansfield

coop Arnold

coop woodborough

coop house long eaton............and probably many more............

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

And just for cliff-ton

3 Co-ops in Clifton,

Vernons st anns well rd

Vernons Denman st

Vernons Hucknall

Vernons Willoughby st

Vernons Hyson green

• Like 1

One of my still-unfulfilled ambitions is to find a photo of a Vernons shop.

I don't remember the name at all, but maybe if I see their logo and shop-front design, it might all come flooding back.

• Upvote 1

The only photo you ever produced of a Vernons was Denman st Marsdens that later became Vernons, come on cliff-ton concentrate on Denmam st mid to late 60s..............i know you can do it.

Another small Co-op was the one on Coningswath Rd Carlton .

When I lived in Mapperley would have gone by that shop hundreds of times and never went in it . It closed and was empty for ages .

It changed to a wholesale hosiery firm and when we opened our shop 300 miles away in the 80s , bought stock from them if we visited Notts .

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7278/26396664004_b2920b0d34.jpg

Had cause to find a pharmacy that was open on a Sunday recently. The only one near was on Westdale Lane Mapperley.

While waiting for a prescription to be filled, it made me think of my youth living round the corner.

That pharmacy used to be the Shippos off-licence I went to to get a quart of Nut Brown for my dad. Across the road is a nail boutique, which used to be Haslams grocers. Next to that is a house, which was the butchers, while on the opposite corner is a barber shop which used to be Windales Bakery.

And the newsagents is now a Bargain Booze.

I'm surprised those shops still exist even though they're all different from what they were 30 years ago. I used to buy comics and singles from the newsagent, and sweets from the Shippos. 40 odd years ago now.

I used to visit my mum on the Highbury Vale estate up to around 2009, and often stayed overnight. Try to find a decent off license! I ended up on bloody Valley Road!

Re #47

Rob L what about the little toy shop that was between the off licence and Westdale school ? Is the building still there ?

It used to be Wendy's toy shop, run by Miss Pugsley, and I spent many a happy hour either staring though the window or wandering happily around in the store room when she allowed me to.

But for the last twenty years or so, it has been a Mobile Radio shop.

• Upvote 1

Ah yes Wendys .

Bought many Dinky and Matchbox cars from there .

• 2 weeks later...