• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eric’s shoe shop was next door to Flints newsagents which was owned by my wife’s grandparents. The shops here did very well as they got a lot of footfall from Players factories.

Indeed. A much better looking building than the 60s monstrosity which replaced it.

Looking at those photos of Maid Marion Way brought back memories of Brentford Nylons. Whilst searching through some drawers recently I came across some of their products. Several sheets, pillow cases

Two bakers that I think closed years ago were Flewitts on Mansfield Road and Richardsons on Forest Road - the latter in the short parade of shops between Mansfield Road and North Sherwood Street

Austin Reed the latest to go,traded over 100 years,...............finished in the Exchange Arcade last friday,they did some nice quality stuff,..........wearing one of there shirts as i write this,had it at least 10 years still looks good..........so much nicer shopping in stores like this rather than ya 'Primarks'........lol.

• 2 weeks later...

In the 1950s and 1960s on the left hand side of Mansfield Road as you headed north out of town there were lots of independent shops:

- McGowans the Grocers

- The Creamery

- J.Shine antique dealer

- Midland Stamp Centre

- Flewitts bakery

- Day estate agents

- an art shop -? Augustus somebody

- Leslie F Crawley Estate Agent

That's all I can dredge out of my memory!

• 2 weeks later...

Contradicted mesen today and purchased a shirt from 'Tesco' that took my eye,......£7,............made in 'Bangladesh'......no wonder shops like Austin's are going to the wall..............shame really got no service like 'Suits you sir' oh thats a good choice etc,.....just the lass on the checkout asking 'wanna bag for that'........lol.

• Upvote 1

Looking at those photos of Maid Marion Way brought back memories of Brentford Nylons.

Whilst searching through some drawers recently I came across some of their products. Several sheets, pillow cases and a bedspread. All of them well over 40 years old! They look like new! Hardly been used. Impossible to sleep on due to the static!

I once bought a set of satin sheets and pillow cases. They ended up in the drawer as well. Kept sliding out of bed all night!

Now I'm an old biddy and have acquired more sense, I've taken to pure cotton sheets and pure wool blankets. Blissful sleep is more important than glamorous, impractical bedding!

• Upvote 5

Sadly Jill...........this is true........but its nice to have the memory of Satin sheets int'it..............

• Upvote 1

I still have 2 lemon cellular blankets which came from Brentfords. The blankets themselves will never wear out but the binding (nylon, of course) became rather tatty so I removed it and replaced it with new lemon satin ribbon. Good as new again! Listen, I'm a child of the make do and mend generation!

They are on one of the spare beds. I don't use the rest of the Brentford's stuff. A bit too vivid...purple, orange and turquoise. Very 1970s! I'll hang onto it though, because it may be needed one day!

Those Alan Freeman ads drove me up the wall! If it wasn't Brentford's, it was Daz!

Didn't Green Shield Stamps used to be on Maid Marion Way?

Dad used to bring them home in reams from the petrol station and it was always my job to stick them in the book! They tasted awful and the tiny dots from the perforations stuck to your tongue!

It was quite exciting going to choose your gift. Long before the days of places like Argos!

• Upvote 1

Another shop I visited regularly was Jeanette's in King Street. What happened to that? It was there for years. Then there was the Silver Bird Boutique on Alfreton Road. I bought some beautiful things from both these shops but unlike Brentford's bedding, no longer have them. Put on too much weight! Was a size 6 to 8 in those days. 18 inch waist which went the same way as all these vanished shops!

• Upvote 2