Thanks Firbeck.............posted on another thread,a fur shop on Market street and could'nt recall the name,it was Van sumat?.........corner of Greyhound st,/?

No, Vans, a couple of doors away from the Odeon on the right hand side.
  • Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eric’s shoe shop was next door to Flints newsagents which was owned by my wife’s grandparents. The shops here did very well as they got a lot of footfall from Players factories.

Indeed. A much better looking building than the 60s monstrosity which replaced it.

Looking at those photos of Maid Marion Way brought back memories of Brentford Nylons. Whilst searching through some drawers recently I came across some of their products. Several sheets, pillow cases

NO Firbeck,it was just the name it was Van sumat on Market street Fur shop

and no not Vann allans..................

It was called Van Allen.........I had a lovelly Coney Coat from there in the early 70's - felt like a million dollars walking don the road in it.....

I once worked at the bottom of Derby Road, over Clement's pianos.........a Solicitors called Healey and Smith........

• Upvote 1

Thinking about it Blonde...........it could have been Van Allen,.......anyway she was a classy bird we got engaged.......but alas it was not to be Trina was her name.

Beecrofts used to sell Merits chemicals in small round tubs, some, if not all, would be considered lethal, dangerous, and in breach of 'Elf and Safety' these days. I used to be able to buy whatever I wanted in order to make my own fireworks back then, went a bit further and worked out the chemical equation and ingredients to produce nitro glycerine, the contents for napalm could be bought for bugger all from that lovely Art Nouveux Boots shop near the Council House, it's a wonder I'm still here!!

• Upvote 2

NO Firbeck,it was just the name it was Van sumat on Market street Fur shop

and no not Vann allans..................

No Vans is still a tradename for what I think is an American shoe company, they still trade and had their own outlet just up from the Odeon, you were clearly not cool enough to go to places like that and probably bought boring black old man's shoes from the Co_Op,tee hee.
  • Upvote 1

Bleddy hell firbeck keep telling ya it was a bleddy FUR shop..............nowt to do with Suede shoes..................lol.

No hippo girl,she was from Carlton and if I had bought her a fur coat,i would;nt dream of asking for it back,.........I really am a gent you know............really loved her.............but 'hey ho;..............

• Upvote 2

When my wife worked in ladieswear at Jessops, apparently they had a refrigerated facility where ladies could store their fur coats during the warmer months.

• Upvote 4

It was a fur shop, as I said I bought a lovelly coney coat from there, they were all the vogue back then, if you owned one you were class.....

There used to a butcher's shop called Vans too.....don't remember van shoes though......

When my wife worked in ladieswear at Jessops, apparently they had a refrigerated facility where ladies could store their fur coats during the warmer months.

My mother in law was posh and she stored her mink coat there in the summer back then............I could only ever afford coney....

• 1 year later...

The co op had to sell off a lot of shops, due to buying some other company.

Arleston drive is now a mcolls.

Ilkeston road is now a mcolls.

plus a few others. I always regarded mcolls as a newsagent type of shop.

I read that the McColls deal was to get rid of a few stores that didn't fit their portfolio. Otherwise, new stores seem to be springing up all over the place. It would be ironic if this flood of new "corner shops" killed off the supermarkets in the long run ;)

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...