There was a branch of Lancaster and Thorpe near where we live. A decent optician and nice to see they were based in Nottingham. Bit of nostalgia! They closed and were taken over by Vision Express. My husband thought Vision Express pricey so he took our son's advice and went to Specsavers! 

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eric’s shoe shop was next door to Flints newsagents which was owned by my wife’s grandparents. The shops here did very well as they got a lot of footfall from Players factories.

Indeed. A much better looking building than the 60s monstrosity which replaced it.

Looking at those photos of Maid Marion Way brought back memories of Brentford Nylons. Whilst searching through some drawers recently I came across some of their products. Several sheets, pillow cases

I used to go to Lancaster and Thorpe for my NHS specs.  I don't recall exactly where.. just somewhere in town.  They used to have a 'Pocket Microscope' in the window.  Ohh how I longed for one of those, but 12 Shillings was just not going to happen..

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

City  Center Salon's that have gone!

"Stanley Dennis"  "Stanley Barbers"  "Conntinenal"  Clarks school of Hairdressing (you could become a budding hairdresser in 6 months after paying £500)  "John Cornels."  "Hollywood Salon", "John Lewis salon" 

"Co-op Salon"  to name but a few, but in the lead and still going strong is  "PEPPERS" It used to be a salon and a wholesalers, they kept the salon and opened another salon on market street, I can remember having to fetch hairdressing stock from Peppers whilst working as an apprentice this was around 1963, so how long has long has it been trading? Later much later after teachers training I use to visit Peppers salon to check that the juniors were receiving the right training, Mrs Kinnell was the person in charge  but I'm sure she was in late 70s early 80s 

it would be nice to know if she is still there and how long Peppers has been trading. 

Later salons to pass by "Ann Martins"  "Browns"  there are more but my brain has now given up.

I used to go to a salon on Long Row in the late 70s. It was accessed from an entrance next to the West End Arcade. Quite a big place and good stylists. Can't remember what it was called.

Around 1976, I had my hair permed at Hair by Tony on Pelham Street. The stylist said she didn't think it was a good idea but I insisted. Wish I'd listened. It looked awful and I just had to wait for it to grow out! :wacko:

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:15 AM, jonab said:

Is Pendred hairdressing still around?

Pendreds gone never to be hair again

• Like 1
On 5/7/2018 at 8:23 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

I used to go to a salon on Long Row in the late 70s. It was accessed from an entrance next to the West End Arcade. Quite a big place and good stylists. Can't remember what it was called.

This salon was "Stanley Dennis"

Mary I remember Peppers. Can you remember the rep that used to visit Mr Lambert. He lost an arm and had a hook that used to fascinate me. I wondered how he could manage driving his van.

Yes Pendred hairdressing used  to charge for taking on apprentices, dont think it even paid for the 3 yr apprenticeship and 2 years improvership. Hard going for a pittance of a wage.

I wouldnt do it again would you Mary?

^^^^^^^^^Remember Stan very well indeed and not always for the right reasons.

Back in the late 60s I decided to join my future BiLs and take up shotgun shooting with them up in Buxton. At that time I was a total newbie to the game and knew bugger all.

Called in Stan's and explained I was starting rough shooting and was looking to buy my first shotgun, I should have known to beware when the first question he asked was "How much have you got to spend?"

He took me over to the rack and showed me a gun within a fiver of the amount I had quoted, nice looking gun and I duly made the purchase.

Next weekend off to Buxton with the gun and a box of Eley 6s in my pocket, the result was 25 empty cases and bugger all to show for it. After a month of failure I went to a local clay shoot and hit bugger all again then a member there came over and began to put me right, having looked at the gun he told me I had been sold a wildfowling piece with 30" long full choke and full choke barrels, at 20 yards the pattern was only a foot across great for the fens but no damn good at all for rough shooting in Derbyshire.

Fast forward to 1985 when I was a RFD and who should walk into my shop/workshop to see if we could repair a pistol he had taken in. I took great delight in telling him the story and he showed disgust at it until I told him it was him and where he could put the pistol which would have made his eyes water if he had tried.

Gunsmith my backside all his repairs went to Birmingham smiths just a snake oil salesman.

• Like 2
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:10 PM, nonnaB said:

Mary I remember Peppers. Can you remember the rep that used to visit Mr Lambert. He lost an arm and had a hook that used to fascinate me. I wondered how he could manage driving his van.

Yes Pendred hairdressing used  to charge for taking on apprentices, dont think it even paid for the 3 yr apprenticeship and 2 years improvership. Hard going for a pittance of a wage.

I wouldnt do it again would you Ma

HI nonnaB  sorry I never had time to talk to you when I saw you at meeting, yes I remember Mr Lambert I also wondered how he drove, can you remember how our wages were sorted out? by the wagers council it used to be a booklet hanging in the staff room also it would tell you what and how much holidays you were allowed,  Would I go into that trade again hu'mmm I did enjoy my work so yes I would go into the same trade  ps its a good job we had tips, and commission if not how would we have lasted did you by any chance know Mrs Kinnel of Peppers?

• Like 1

Keith Hall was a later salon coming to Nottingham if I remember this salon on King Street was also a training school I think you paid them a fee and they taught you hairdressing but you did not achieve City & Guilds qualification, correct me if I'm wrong. Also at first it was only Keith Hall I think Adrian came a little later on,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

no Mary I didn't know mrs Kinnel. Yes I too was sorry not to have spent time talking to you but just a couple of hours meeting its impossible to talk to everyone and not upset or offend the others and there were a lot of members.

• Like 1
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:19 PM, IAN123. said:

A great place for threads.9261.jpg

I seem to remember this place opening it was much better than C&A The Bird Cage had very modern fashion. Hopefully I'm correct.

• Like 1
On 5/12/2018 at 7:01 AM, mary1947 said:

.......did you by any chance know Mrs Kinnel of Peppers?

I don't know that name but living round the corner from me on Marshall Hill Drive , Mapperley was a Duncan family . The mum was nee Pepper and as far as I remember at least 3 of the Duncan daughters worked at Peppers in the 60s . I never really knew what their dad did but recently read that he drew cartoons for the Football Post . 

As I recall things, C&A catered for the likes of my mother and granny whilst Birdcage was more for my (younger) sister (if I had had one).

21 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

I don't know that name but living round the corner from me on Marshall Hill Drive , Mapperley was a Duncan family . The mum was nee Pepper and as far as I remember at least 3 of the Duncan daughters worked at Peppers in the 60s . I never really knew what their dad did but recently read that he drew cartoons for the Football Post . 

Hi DAVIDW sorry the name doe's not ring any bell's I only got to know Mrs Kinnel by being a hairdressing training tutor and having to check that the juniors were receiving the correct training. You could be right maybe it's the same family, seeing as 3 daughters worked at "Peppers" 

• Like 1

Anyone remember the 'Head-shop' "Mushroom" when it was on Arkwright Street? Must have been ealry 70s.  They had a free tea and coffee facility in the back room and of course you got those who would donate some tea, coffee of milk and those who would always drink the tea/coffee and put nowt back in.  

13 hours ago, Compo said:

Is that a Greaves or perhaps a Villiers, Ian?

Looks like a Villiers engine to me.  They were used in Greeves, Cotton, Dot, James, Francis Barnett and maybe others.  My recall isn't what it was..

• Like 2

I didn't realise that whole bikes were made under the Villiers badge.  They were mostly known for producing small two stroke engines which were used by other manufacturers, including those wanting engines for other things such as mowers etc.  The bike in the pic has a name on rthe tank but it's very difficult to read.  If I had to guess I'd go Greeves. Something like this... but I'm not putting any money on it.

eb2865c6e92997d635ed43f78c464c12--bike-s

Most Greeves, Cotton and Dot machines in my youth were sold for Trials or Scrambles.  My old mate Roy Hardy from the Greasley Street area in Boowul had a 250 Dot scrambler. We went to see him race a few times at Teversal.  I've got some pics somewhere..  Dot supposedly stood for 'Devoid of Trouble'  When I was a 'mature student' biking to and from Manchester on a 125 Honda twin in the 80s, there was a building which still bore 'Dot Motorcycles' painted on a wall.  It was around the junction which is now the Deansgate Interchange.  It's unrecognisable now.

Some interesting stuff here:

https://www.thoughtco.com/villiers-motorcycles-743325

Col

• Like 1

.. actually.. I've had another look.  The whole bike in the original pic looks very lightly made.  Pressed steel swinging arm for example, as opposed to the tubular steel more common on Brit bikes.  Looking again at that fuzzy logo on the tank, I'm wondering if it might be a 'Forrin' bike, possibly a Garelli 90 or similar?