Oh right.  Thanks Roger. I don't recall it.

Found this about the DOT works I mentioned above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_Cycle_and_Motor_Manufacturing_Company

And this about Itom.

http://cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/itom/Itom-Tabor.htm

Col

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eric’s shoe shop was next door to Flints newsagents which was owned by my wife’s grandparents. The shops here did very well as they got a lot of footfall from Players factories.

Indeed. A much better looking building than the 60s monstrosity which replaced it.

Looking at those photos of Maid Marion Way brought back memories of Brentford Nylons. Whilst searching through some drawers recently I came across some of their products. Several sheets, pillow cases

A DOT was featured on a recent episode of “Shed & Buried” on Travel Channel (one of the obscure Sky/cable channels).

As I recall, the owner wanted a few thousand quid for it, but I wasn’t watching too intently as I can’t stand the bloody awful Henry Cole who presents the programme.

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Remember this place on Manvers St?

Next door to that shop was a "sack bag" shop/store, an old lady sat in there most days selling hessian sack bags,The garage I was apprenticed at was around the corner on Sneinton road

Rog

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/6/2018 at 10:04 PM, Unmade Marian said:

I remember a fur shop near Sisson and Parker called the Canadian Fur Company - I bet you wouldn't catch them selling rabbit fur (that was what Coney was doncha know)

In 1963 I had been doing a lot of overtime so had extra cash to spend. I bought a really good quality sheepskin coat in the Canadian Fur Company's sale which I wouldn't have been able to afford normally. I wore it every winter for years until the edges down the front and on the cuffs began to wear away. I loved that coat and still have it packed away in the loft....although I don't know why since I will never wear it again!

I was also interested to see Jeanettes on King Street mentioned in this thread. I bought lots of things there in the 1960s.  

Anyone remember Rains electrical shops? There was one on Carrington Street and another on either Hockley or Goosegate - can't remember which. There may have been others around the city too. They belonged to a cousin of my husband. My parents bought my first record player from the Carrington Street shop as a Christmas present for me, long before I married into the family.

13 hours ago, Bilborough Girl said:

Anyone remember Rains electrical shops? There was one on Carrington Street and another on either Hockley or Goosegate - can't remember which. There may have been others around the city too. They belonged to a cousin of my husband. My parents bought my first record player from the Carrington Street shop as a Christmas present for me, long before I married into the family.

I don't remember them, but this is from the early 60s.

c91qK7S.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2018 at 8:10 PM, Cliff Ton said:

There were several branches of Millers electrical stores in the 70s & 80s. This is Lower Parliament Street .

UQHGAEK.jpg

I was Warehouse manager here when it first opened. Parking was near impossible in the area sdo I used to cycle in each morning.  Kept me nice and fit and with the added bonus of being able to go to the NTMC for several pints and a sing-song on Friday nights after working until 8pm.  The bike ride home was usually an adventure after the evening in the pub :)

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Even though I posted the photo I don't remember that branch. I'm sure I remember one further up Huntingdon Street near the old bus station.

I think that might have been Bridgers Discount Electricals, opposite the bus station.. '80s.

12 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Even though I posted the photo I don't remember that branch. I'm sure I remember one further up Huntingdon Street near the old bus station.

Looking to the left of the picture near the top was the Palais and behind the bus was the old  central market at the end of the building was a petrol station.so really, you are only a couple of hundred yards away.

I do recall Millers..and just further up a Dance/ fit type studio. Sure there is a pic on here when that was Central Garage..or Market Garage..might be confused.  I only went home that way after overtime to nip in Jaceys for a half. Recall that Antibo's disaster of an eaterie used to be packed!