Miller Bros used to be the Central Garage. Some weeks after the opening there was a problem with the toilets. The toilet drain seriously overflowed into the store warehouse, once the garage workshops area. Lots of damage was done to the goods. The owners saw an opportunity here and decided to add lots more stuff to the list of damage for the insurance claim; they even brought stuff from other stores to add to the pile. Someone, who shall remain nameless, was outraged by the flagrant deceit, had a quiet word with the loss adjuster - who had already noted discrepancies in types of damage.  That someone was later given a new TV and video by said adjuster as a thank you for his honesty.  Anyway, I digress; the point I was going to make was that flooding continued for some time until it was noticed that the pavement outside had, at some point, been dug up and work had been carried out all the way along the side of the old garage. It turned out that a new drain had been installed along the roadside and in the process, the sewage drain from the (Then abandoned) garage, had been cut completely through and left disconnected. As a result, there was nowhere for the sewage to go except up the drain hatches in the warehouse.  Half a day's work by the council finally put things right.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eric’s shoe shop was next door to Flints newsagents which was owned by my wife’s grandparents. The shops here did very well as they got a lot of footfall from Players factories.

Indeed. A much better looking building than the 60s monstrosity which replaced it.

Looking at those photos of Maid Marion Way brought back memories of Brentford Nylons. Whilst searching through some drawers recently I came across some of their products. Several sheets, pillow cases

Blimey, that brings back some memories. Andos had a passage down the left of the shop where folks took rags/old cloths to be weighed. My dads shop was two doors to the right of Andos, he sold his shop to Reg King (the bookmaker/ boxing/wrestling promoter) who eventually got his money back from dad, due to his fondness of gambling!.My grandmas cafe was a further two shops along, next door to Nobles the cleaners, formally some tyre place.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bilborough Girl said:

I think Judges also had a shop on Plains Road in the early 50s when we lived in Mapperley. 

It’s now Bread & Bitter pub with the bread ovens still in situ

• Upvote 1

They do a superb Full English breakfast too Lizzie.

Glad to see my memory didn't let me down as I had completely forgotten the existence of Judges until I read about them up-thread and remembered that was where my mother bought bread circa 1950. I love the way this forum can take me back to things, places and people I haven't thought about in years. It's very encouraging to find that I CAN remember them with a bit of help!

• Like 1

I remember the one on Mansfield Road Sherwood,, from when i managed Thrifty opposite side of road,,about 1967,,from memory it was between Pork farms and Brittons fruit and veg shop,,they always seemed to have the more mature lady assistants,,

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

I remember the one on Mansfield Road Sherwood,, from when i managed Thrifty opposite side of road,,about 1967,,from memory it was between Pork farms and Brittons fruit and veg shop,,they always seemed to have the more mature lady assistants,,

I went out with Tony Britton for a while, he ran the Sherwood shop.  He had a very nice Mercedes sports car with a 'pagoda' roof.  Then I met the man I ended up marrying, he saved me from spending a lifetime selling spuds 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I took a girl out from there Lizzie,,beautiful she was,can't remember her name,might have been same time,,i had to do a runner she found out i was going out with someone else,,and got her brothers from St Anns on me case,, lol

• Like 1
16 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Mansfield branch was even better..wonder if our mate Oz ever ventured in there?

Yes I certainly did, bought my hiking boots there and they served me well over many years, stitched welts and commando soles, only ever used saddle soap on them.

My most important purchase was a WWII gas mask bag, just the right size for my Tupperware sandwich box and a Thermos flask that I used throughout my apprenticeship.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought Skinner and Rook originally occupied the premises on the corner of Long Row and Clumber St. The next occupiers were Horne Brothers the gents’ outfitters. I always thought Skinner and Rook was a most inappropriate name for a shop! I believe they moved to yard referred to subsequently.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I thought Skinner and Rook originally occupied the premises on the corner of Long Row and Clumber St. 

Indeed. A much better looking building than the 60s monstrosity which replaced it.

rsZHPXN.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
23 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

I agree, although in the above example there's a very non-Georgian extractor pipe/vent coming out of one of the upper windows.

Major Allen Rook, one of the owners of Skinner and Rook lived at Stragglethorpe Hall, just beyond Newark. In the 60’s he established a vineyard. At the time it was the most northerly vineyard in England. I remember going to see it. It occupied less than two acres. I believe it had gone by 1970. If I were much younger I would be tempted to start a vineyard on my land. Just a dream now.

On 5/2/2016 at 11:02 PM, ValuerJim said:

I used to buy fishing tackle from a shop on Milton Street, just below Victoria Station. There was also one on Canal Street and another just down from Canning Circus on Ilkeston Road? Can't remember their names. Tom Sharpe rings a bell.

The one on Canal street Jim was Watsons,, used to buy our Bait early Sat or Sun mornings from there before catching a Steam Train at Midland station to Barrow-on-soar.........mid 50s

• Like 1

I used a fishing tackle shop at the top of Radford Rd., just below what was then a bank. Remember the owner well but can't remember his name? Seddon's (or was it Staddons with the clock) was almost opposite.

"Three pennerth o maggits please Mr?"

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

Seddon's (or was it Staddons with the clock) was almost opposite.

I'm pretty sure it was Staddons....something else I didn't know I remembered until someone mentions it....but I can see that clock in my mind's eye now!

35 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

• Like 1

That building had an interesting history

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/whatnall1928/oriental_cafe.htm

I remember there was a lot of controversy over the destruction of the Oriental Cafe's ceiling some time before I left Nottingham in the 1980s but I don't recall the details. Does the actual building still exist?

• Like 1