I thought the ceiling had been preserved as it was an important artifact. The Oriental Cafe was a regular haunt of my mother's when she worked in the offices of Radio Rentals above Toby's on Friar Lane in the 1940s.  She and her three best friends, Noreen Biddulph, Brenda Moll and June Tomlin were often in that Cafe when they should have been at work! One day they were drinking coffee in there at 10 am when their boss walked in. He bought them all cream cakes and never said a word about skiving from their duties. Mum loved the Oriental.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eric’s shoe shop was next door to Flints newsagents which was owned by my wife’s grandparents. The shops here did very well as they got a lot of footfall from Players factories.

Indeed. A much better looking building than the 60s monstrosity which replaced it.

Looking at those photos of Maid Marion Way brought back memories of Brentford Nylons. Whilst searching through some drawers recently I came across some of their products. Several sheets, pillow cases

This is what I reported earlier on this site re. my UK visit Christmas 2017:

When I was in the UK last Christmas I noticed in Chichester Sainsbury's that Pork Farms Pork Pies were still available. I indulged myself and bought one. What a disappointment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Far from being a full of flavour meaty treat, the pie was an abomination of rock hard pastry, NO jelly and tasteless fatty meat. As happens so often, a superior local brand loses all character and quality when taken over by some big conglomerate.

I should add that I gave some of the pie to my carer to try. Bearing in mind he is French and used to eating all sorts of strange things, he spat it out and declared it as inedible.

Since then, I have been told that Pork Farms sausages and pork pies originally contained at least one 'secret ingredient' but after ingredient declaration became mandatory, this was removed because it was feared that some consumers wouldn't appreciate this material being in a pork product - hence the beginnings of the tasteless rubbish on sale now.

1 hour ago, jonab said:

Pork Farms sausages and pork pies originally contained at least one 'secret ingredient'

Would that be pork meat Jonab?

Rog

• Like 1

Redbowen, Burtons were a part of the Fine Fare group way before the 80's.They were in the Council House shops and also had a branch in Southwell. They were serviced by the Fine Fare depot in Hucknall at Broomhill Park

McFisheries were where Wetherspoons are now located opposite slab square.

Does anyone remember the shops on Wilford Road in the Meadows. Astles fruit and veg, Battersby's shoe repairs, Aucklands butchers near the doctors surgery, Fords next to a mini supermarket called Bellwood Discount, Vernons supermarket, Doyles news agents, Simmons pot shop with the cheeky innuendoes in the window,Toulsons the pork butchers, Boots, Dewhursts, the shoe shop next to Boots, Clays sweet shop, Marsdens,Meadow Dairy - cant remember any more at the moment, can anybody add any more? All your mam's shopping in one go:blink:

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Not lived there since 1962 BK so I doubt our paths would have crossed.

Understood. Pardon me !

Just read on the Post website that Jermy & Westerman, Bubblewrap’s favourite bookshop, is closing down in a couple of weeks.  What a shame, another old Nottingham establishment disappearing.  

• Upvote 1

What's happened to him ? I noticed him walking past my house a week or so ago, and he looked OK.

On 5/28/2019 at 1:59 AM, IAN123. said:

Alex Owen , Carrington Street..ao-nottm1.jpgthings were going well for Nottms Alex Owen shops..well enough for Terry Thomas to open this City branch.

Some desirable signage there, my preference would be the Decca

also love the HMV.. possibly neon? not familiar with EKCO so googled:( bought out Dynomic in '54 apparently..I mentioned some  throwaway mic's previously that were great, same brand, no way 1954 though, I think early 60's.

• Like 2
On 5/8/2019 at 8:27 PM, IAN123. said:

Devoured books as a nipper( Lending Library thread.)sisson-and-parker-1.jpgeven when Athena gategrashed the first floor..spent some dollars on Winsor & Newton and hogs and sables.

Greatly missed.

Wasn't there three floors? 

• Like 1
On 3/1/2019 at 1:58 AM, IAN123. said:

The Electricity Board Showroom was demolished on Carrington Street...to make way for Broad Marsh re-developments.48371821-2576603522355898-77246330112531

Can hear my Grandad saying 'What do think this is!  Blackpool Illuminations! 

• Like 1

I seem to remember on the second floor of Sisson and Parker there was a section where us young boys could re-plenish the used chemicals and glass ware from our chemistry sets, this would be mid sixties,I should imagine these days it would be classed as supplying equipment for use in the illegal drug trade or classed as bomb making equipment,how times have changed

Rog

Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask on, but i'm after info on a cafe that used to be next to Woolworths opposite C and A, a small doorway entrance and downstairs to what I assume was underneath Woolies or WH Smith? Was quite a large place with a 60's / 70's decor. And what is it now?

Long gone I'm afraid Martin. I think it was under Smiths. It was ok for breakfast or a snack, but was pretty well patronised, despite being rather  dated.

15 hours ago, Martin Lock said:

i'm after info on a cafe that used to be next to Woolworths opposite C and A, a small doorway entrance and downstairs to what I assume was underneath Woolies or WH Smith? Was quite a large place with a 60's / 70's decor. And what is it now?

Obviously Woolies disappeared several years ago, and I don't remember exactly who occupied which unit, but was it this entrance ?  Woolies would've been on the left and WHS on the right.

tNgfQ1c.jpg

That whole area is a bit of a ghost town now. With Broad Marsh Centre effectively dead, there's no reason for anyone to go there unless they're going through to the railway station or beyond. And there isn't anything beyond.

• Upvote 1

I've been shocked at the state of that end of town in recent visits to Nottingham. Getting to and from the station is like negotiating an obstacle course. Does anyone know what the intended outcome of all that construction work is, when it's intended to be finished and if Broad Marsh Centre will ever open again?