Phyllis rings a slight bell, but I did know a pair of twins and one of them was a Phyllis (the other one was Lillian, those names seem to have died out). I did move with my boss to start up a Times Furnishing (the very posh cav-woodhouse stores, quite expensive mostly down south especially London. The Peckham store was a nightmare) default department so she could have been there after I moved. 
Must admit I did enjoy that job, was there for a long time. Great satisfaction tracking people down and getting the money owed paid. That is probably where I got my cynicism (spelling?) and “prefer dogs/cats to people” attitude from!! 

• Like 1
  • Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eric’s shoe shop was next door to Flints newsagents which was owned by my wife’s grandparents. The shops here did very well as they got a lot of footfall from Players factories.

Indeed. A much better looking building than the 60s monstrosity which replaced it.

Looking at those photos of Maid Marion Way brought back memories of Brentford Nylons. Whilst searching through some drawers recently I came across some of their products. Several sheets, pillow cases

She was certainly there in the late 70s but had always worked, right through her daughter's school years, so may have been there much earlier. Small, dark haired lady. Quite a strong personality. I would imagine she'd have been ideal for dealing with bad debtors!

I think I can vaguely remember her,  it was a big department took up a whole floor of Talbot House and when I moved over to Times we were in a separate room until we moved to an annex across the road next to the cemetery. I did enjoy working there, my boss was my mentor, taught me more than I ever learned at school and pushed me to succeed. Don’t think I would have got where I did or be who I am now without him. Happy memories.

I can remember when Phyllis'sdaughter was getting married, she and I along with the two junior bridesmaids went to Lipman's on Derby Road to look at wedding dresses and bridesmaid dresses. Mrs Seymour was at work but nipped round the corner from Talbot House to join us. This would be very early in 1979. She had worked at Talbot House for some time by then.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 11:11 AM, PeverilPeril said:

Nottingham Scientific Exchange. A very interesting shop for the engineering fraternity. Think it's been mentioned before somewhere. They were originally on Peveril St them moved to a corner shop on Derby Rd just up from Hooleys. I lived 2 doors down from the Ingles on Peveril St in the 40's and 50's. 

I borrowed this from the Nottm from the Owd Days Facebook Group, but they got it from somewhere else anyway.

rYGmOAl.jpg

• Like 1

That picture would be about 1960. I lived 3 doors to the right of that behind and above Bruce Roper's off license. To the left was a hosiery factory entrance with a block wooden floor. It also served as the entrance to our back yards and to the back gardens of the bigger houses on Alfreton Rd. There were 6 shop fronts in that row and then some waste land and derelict houses with a twitchel at the end leading to Aspley place. That was my short cut when at Bentinck infants school. An air raid shelter was built on the waste land during the war and I was taken in there a few times when the sirens went off.

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...

Who would go into a Thornton’s shop and buy their oversweet gooey stuff?You can buy their products at supermarkets if so you desire but there are better quality products on the shelves. I’m surprised they’ve lasted in shop form for so long. I’m surprised that a company like Ferrero Rocher bought them out.

• Like 2

When I was out and about in a van up to 2 or so years ago Greggs were opening up in small units on trading estates.

My younger Son did a stop gap nightshift for a few months at the Thorntons factory, before Ferrero bought them.

I don't remember getting a single chocolate out of that.

Geoff's and Geoff's junior.... Used to get all me northern soul gear from Geoff's junior.... Got me first Oxford bags and cromby from there.... Think Geoff's was on Hockley and Geoff's junior was in Vic Center

Yep LizzieM you are so reet.... Knew it were one of the Jeffs/Geoffs

• 4 weeks later...

Nottingham

Queen of the Midlands   "ONCE"

OH !!  where have all our classie shops gone?

"Griffin n' Splading"  used to work at top Canning Circus finished at 4 00 on Wed had to catch bus home from the square, before getting the bus, had to call in Griffin's only to walk up the large mahogany stair case, and walk though the shop on there 4" deep pile carpets.

Tobys  best china shop ever.

Pearsons  another class shop gone 

C n A   coats an Hats  not a class shop but hay/Ho if you were 5 to 30ish ideal if you wanted something modam and did not want to pay the earth.

Big CO_OP Not a bad place to shop with those large revoling doors some things a little old fashioned, but Top floor at Chritmas was brillant.

"Jessops"   now John lewis   sold good quality goods.    Quality rememberd while price forgotten. Still thought it was better in town.

"Farmers"    every piece of material you wanted you could buy here.

"Woolworth's"  first store where every thing cost 6d  Still have some of there wine glasses which my mum brought for her wedding 1936  maybe i have got it mixed up sorry "Sherry Glasses" but they still only cost 6d

"BHS"  Always sold a good selection of lights.

Marks and Spencer still going strong   Goods they used to sell were only brought by a certain age group, but they came good with the help of twiggy. Little secret use to style a Mrs Oaklands hair and she was a personal friend of Mr Spencer and Mr Marks did you know they started on the markets they were barrow boys.

Clumber St   at least 25 shoe shops at the last count       NOW NONE.

NOW ONE OF MY FAVOURITES GONE FOREVER

"""BURTONS""""  you thought when shopping here that you were in Harrods this was one of the best.

My opinion is that we have to allways copied off America   shopping centers are what has killed off our city center, not the viris, not the internet, not even the people. 

Or is it change ?  

or                                                            Council planners  could we not have saved Dury Hill? 

• Like 3

I can remember going to Roughtons, up near Canning Circus if I remember correctly, to buy material for dresses, skirts etc. They cut off the amount you wanted from a large bale. Also the Rubber Supply Company which sold shoes. I can remember going there with my mum to get my first pair of high boots in the 60’s. I loved those boots wore them until they dropped to bits. Like Mary1947 I can remember the shoe shops on Clumber Street, Saxons, Dolcis, there was one that began with an M was it Manfreds - not sure. 
C&A for the latest mod fashions, you didn’t want to pay too much as the fashion changed so quickly.

Our high streets and cities have also been affected by the removal of decent car parking. Where we live car parking is being reduced and the land used for building new hotels and shops!  I rarely went into the town, preferring to go to the out of town shopping areas where there is adequate free parking. 

I remember all those fantastic shoes shops on Clumber Street and Long Row. They were my second home in the 1960s! I am sure you are right about Manfreds Stavertongirl although it's a name I had forgotten until I read your post.

Those shoe shops were great fun. I have very small feet, size 3, so at sale time there would be rich pickings! It got ridiculous in the late 70s and 80s, as I had so many boxes of shoes, many of which I hardly ever wore.  It was 4 inch heels in those days. Now, it's ballet flats! Getting owd!  Happy memories. Friends always complained they could never find any size 5s in the sale. Tough. As the song says, "Your feet's too big!"

There was, indeed, CT.  To me, they all seemed better than Clays,  Erics and the sensible clodhopping shoes of my childhood! My father used to shake his head in despair after insisting I wore sensible shoes but I'd already ruined my feet through ballet. My teacher wouldn't tolerate anyone wearing heels, though. "Get those heels off! You'll shorten your Achilles tendon!"

First time I've heard Erics mentioned in years, it was a relatives shop yet I never went in or bought shoes from there.