• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looking at those photos of Maid Marion Way brought back memories of Brentford Nylons. Whilst searching through some drawers recently I came across some of their products. Several sheets, pillow cases

Indeed. A much better looking building than the 60s monstrosity which replaced it.

Eric’s shoe shop was next door to Flints newsagents which was owned by my wife’s grandparents. The shops here did very well as they got a lot of footfall from Players factories.

Just wondering if any of you may remember a shop on Alfreton Rd called Linneys or Lineys I'm not sure of the spelling. It was in the row of shops between Newdigate St & 

Raleigh St and it sold stationery and artists equipment. 

My mum bought me a very nice fountain pen from there when I started Manning, together with a bottle each of blue and black Quink ink and some colouring pencils in a tin.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, RadFordee said:

I can remember the Judges shop on mansfield rd, it was next door to the Noor Jahan indian restaurant. My mum used to buy pikelets from there which were lovely.

Despite not having been a Judge shop for many years, the name is still on the wall.

https://goo.gl/maps/4RLe9XL6oSjp9zjw7

• 1 year later...

When our city had real shops??

Person's great shop but when i first married and went into the Kitchen dept=ment to look at a fitted kitchen, the sales man ask me what I was looking at (their was a pull down slatted blind which I liked) at this blind was my reply.  Sales man well if I were you I would not look any more as you won't be able to afford it. British customer service never changes!. 

Griffins an' Spalding

Used to walk though G/S just to feel that 4" carpet under my feet, as at the time not many of us had fitted carpets.                                             If you know G/S in the middle of the building was an oak stair case half way up the stairs was a shelf with a very thick book on it, written in the book was the names of all the staff who worked  in the back ground and the shop assistants.     Would loved to have had a look at this book, going back some years my mum trained to be a tailoress by G/S and was taught to make wedding dresser's so if you had a Wedding dress from G/S 10/1 it was made by my mum.

Jessop's 

Just another great Nottingham shop till it moved into Vic center then named John Lewis still a good shop but lost a little appeal.

Tobys 

One of the best china and Glass every.

Henry Farmer

lots of members say this was a music store but the only Henry

Farmer's I remember was the store top Exchange Walk which sold

material.

BIG CO_OP

The only place to go at Christmas  for children to see Santa's grotto.

Big and Little Woolworths

They had the reputation for selling nothing over 6d when first opened.

Remember those big wooden counters?

Baker n Plumb 

Furniture store Cash Only

Waring n' Gillow 

Classy furniture 

Hopwells 

A real Nottingham family furniture Store 

The Hopewell family lived on Robin Hood Chase. 

And of cause we must not forget the family who did so much for Nottingham 

BOOTS!!!!hearteyes

• Upvote 2