63718-1-280-99999-unpad.jpg1955, looking at Skinner & Rook from the High Street..Boots on the right..and a glimpse of the Kardomah on Clumber Street.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2016 at 11:02 PM, ValuerJim said:

I used to buy fishing tackle from a shop on Milton Street, just below Victoria Station. There was also one on Canal Street and another just down from Canning Circus on Ilkeston Road? Can't remember their names. Tom Sharpe rings a bell.

The one on Canal street Jim was Watsons,, used to buy our Bait early Sat or Sun mornings from there before catching a Steam Train at Midland station to Barrow-on-soar.........mid 50s

• Like 1

Skinner & Rooks moved up to the Corner of Maypole Yard..the shop was rather swanky..it then became Skinner, Rook and Chambers..trading on Mansfield Rd...also at Eastwood and Ravenshead.

• Like 1

I used a fishing tackle shop at the top of Radford Rd., just below what was then a bank. Remember the owner well but can't remember his name? Seddon's (or was it Staddons with the clock) was almost opposite.

"Three pennerth o maggits please Mr?"

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

Seddon's (or was it Staddons with the clock) was almost opposite.

I'm pretty sure it was Staddons....something else I didn't know I remembered until someone mentions it....but I can see that clock in my mind's eye now!

35 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

• Like 1

Staddons was part of my childhood. Linen, beds, furniture. I still have 2 bedside cabinets that came from there many years ago.

• Like 1

All three here..66936-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgWillsons...Oriental Cafe..Willerbys Tailoring..all vanished from Wheeler Gate.

• Like 2

That building had an interesting history

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/whatnall1928/oriental_cafe.htm

I remember there was a lot of controversy over the destruction of the Oriental Cafe's ceiling some time before I left Nottingham in the 1980s but I don't recall the details. Does the actual building still exist?

• Like 1

BG.. i posted some old interior photos a while ago..it was impressive..when did it cease as a Cafe?

Was it where Boots and Virgin were?

Where Poundland is now?

• Like 1

I thought the ceiling had been preserved as it was an important artifact. The Oriental Cafe was a regular haunt of my mother's when she worked in the offices of Radio Rentals above Toby's on Friar Lane in the 1940s.  She and her three best friends, Noreen Biddulph, Brenda Moll and June Tomlin were often in that Cafe when they should have been at work! One day they were drinking coffee in there at 10 am when their boss walked in. He bought them all cream cakes and never said a word about skiving from their duties. Mum loved the Oriental.

The ceiling was indeed saved..and was intended for Newdigate House..but ended up in Holme Pierrepont Hall.

But in 1998 it was removed to a big house in London. The all-night Boots and others replaced where the Cafe was..a 17th century building with lovely plaster features..planners..couldn't plan a ....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Got be one and the same mick?..Bill was a smashing bloke..he went up Sandhurst...we got his gaff.

• Like 1

Seeing Bilborough Shirley visit today reminded me that it was indeed Shirley that mentioned this long gone chain of shops:17098731-1665023950180531-19839145377278Home and Colonial Stores on Long Row.

• Like 1

Both my father-in-law and my husband, both keen d-i-y-ers, used to buy tools from Gillotts. The building in the photo is an interesting shape: it looks as though the top has been neatly sliced off!

To the left of Gillotts in this pic was Ashmore's Arcade which was demolished to make way for the new Belward street/Cranbrook street through route.

I know Pork Farms is part of a group of companies now but the name lives on as their pies and sausage rolls are in the supermarket. I always thought their pork pies were the best.

This is what I reported earlier on this site re. my UK visit Christmas 2017:

When I was in the UK last Christmas I noticed in Chichester Sainsbury's that Pork Farms Pork Pies were still available. I indulged myself and bought one. What a disappointment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Far from being a full of flavour meaty treat, the pie was an abomination of rock hard pastry, NO jelly and tasteless fatty meat. As happens so often, a superior local brand loses all character and quality when taken over by some big conglomerate.

I should add that I gave some of the pie to my carer to try. Bearing in mind he is French and used to eating all sorts of strange things, he spat it out and declared it as inedible.

Since then, I have been told that Pork Farms sausages and pork pies originally contained at least one 'secret ingredient' but after ingredient declaration became mandatory, this was removed because it was feared that some consumers wouldn't appreciate this material being in a pork product - hence the beginnings of the tasteless rubbish on sale now.

1 hour ago, jonab said:

Pork Farms sausages and pork pies originally contained at least one 'secret ingredient'

Would that be pork meat Jonab?

Rog

• Like 1

Many years ago there used to be quite a number of D & P shops when we used to use film in cameras. 

8 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Rog

Someone I knew who went round the factory said they just pushed the pig carcass into the mincer and it came out as the finished product. Nothing wasted!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, plantfit said:

Rog

:) :)

Perhaps it was!

• Like 1