Pearsons were one of my old firm's audit clients back in the 60's. If you thought it was a rabbit warren in the shop you should have seen it backstage! They bought the old AB Gibson premises and it eventually went through to Parliament St.

Back as far as the 1960s I often had the thought "what if there's a fire" when I was in Griffins! It was such a rabbit warren that people would have a job to find their way out. I was in there a few weeks ago and lo and behold, I STILL couldn't find my way out! Is it a listed building? I have a recollection of being told, or once reading, that the shop consists of a series of wealthy merchants' town houses knocked through to join them up. Certainly, if you stand in the Square and look at the architecture, that could be their origin. It would also explain the higgledy-piggledy interior layout.

The buses to Bilborough had their terminus outside Pearsons in the 1970s. It was a lovely shop.

The 4 Seasons Restaurant in Griffins was the place to go as a 60s teenager.  

It's had the creaking irregular floorboards as long as I can remember. Everything does seem so scattered I'm afraid.

The chef from Griffins restaurant was the husband of a friend of my mother's and he made my wedding cake as a gift.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Bilborough Girl said:

The buses to Bilborough had their terminus outside Pearsons in the 1970s. It was a lovely shop.

This is the 1960s, so almost the same thing.

6Xa8r3j.jpg

• Like 1

Mrs PP worked at Pearsons in the 60's and confirms that the offices were a bit of a warren. She found it an interesting place to work but not as good as Home Breweries. She was a S/H typist- million words a second :biggrin:

• Like 1

Ask her if she remembers Mrs.Waller, Dot Leverton and Don Whitehead, the company secretary. I think the office manager was called Jackson.