The co op had to sell off a lot of shops, due to buying some other company.

Arleston drive is now a mcolls.

Ilkeston road is now a mcolls.

plus a few others. I always regarded mcolls as a newsagent type of shop.

I read that the McColls deal was to get rid of a few stores that didn't fit their portfolio. Otherwise, new stores seem to be springing up all over the place. It would be ironic if this flood of new "corner shops" killed off the supermarkets in the long run ;)

• Upvote 1

We have a McColls nearby in Southwell. It's open to 10pm daily. It's handy on a Sunday when everywhere else is closed at 4pm and it provides part time work for youngsters.

Radio vision house. Southey street/Bentinck rd. It was a TV and radio shop but had a comprehensive collection of model aircraft kits. I bought all my balsa wood, tissue paper glues and dope from there. 

Griffin and Spalding, what happened to them?

Don't have the same Ring to it, used to love that toy department in g and s

Smarts on the left..i recall Bus Stop and Limeys along here..and the city's first Pizza Hut in 1982...salad bowls were tiny then! Many years ago where B&B is on this picture..a store called Leylands stood  any info?1acaa607055df2bc3f010b5e42da1fdc.jpg

Two nice WBUDC brown/cream platform buses :P

Backenders!

• Like 1

Worked there early 60s, Mr Marshall Manager,

Lancaster & Thorpe .1970 on Bridlesmith Gate- had a branch opposite the Yorker at this time.63072.1.640.640.FFFFFF.jpgEye Eye..Bains on Milton St.192667437.1.640.640.FFFFFF.jpg

There was a branch of Lancaster and Thorpe near where we live. A decent optician and nice to see they were based in Nottingham. Bit of nostalgia! They closed and were taken over by Vision Express. My husband thought Vision Express pricey so he took our son's advice and went to Specsavers! 

I used to go to Lancaster and Thorpe for my NHS specs.  I don't recall exactly where.. just somewhere in town.  They used to have a 'Pocket Microscope' in the window.  Ohh how I longed for one of those, but 12 Shillings was just not going to happen..

• Like 1

City  Center Salon's that have gone!

"Stanley Dennis"  "Stanley Barbers"  "Conntinenal"  Clarks school of Hairdressing (you could become a budding hairdresser in 6 months after paying £500)  "John Cornels."  "Hollywood Salon", "John Lewis salon" 

"Co-op Salon"  to name but a few, but in the lead and still going strong is  "PEPPERS" It used to be a salon and a wholesalers, they kept the salon and opened another salon on market street, I can remember having to fetch hairdressing stock from Peppers whilst working as an apprentice this was around 1963, so how long has long has it been trading? Later much later after teachers training I use to visit Peppers salon to check that the juniors were receiving the right training, Mrs Kinnell was the person in charge  but I'm sure she was in late 70s early 80s 

it would be nice to know if she is still there and how long Peppers has been trading. 

Later salons to pass by "Ann Martins"  "Browns"  there are more but my brain has now given up.

Is Pendred hairdressing still around?

I used to go to a salon on Long Row in the late 70s. It was accessed from an entrance next to the West End Arcade. Quite a big place and good stylists. Can't remember what it was called.

Around 1976, I had my hair permed at Hair by Tony on Pelham Street. The stylist said she didn't think it was a good idea but I insisted. Wish I'd listened. It looked awful and I just had to wait for it to grow out! :wacko: