She sought pastures new, as we all have done at some time. 

Sorry folks!  I didn't mean to drag up the Brexit issue or any other politics.  It is not just the UK. Same problems seem to exist in most of the Western world these days.  Housing costs have gone way ahead of the general inflation rate, along with auto, and tuition costs.  Wages just do not seem to have kept pace and neither were they the reason for the crazy price rises in the first place.  Seems more like corporate greed to me.

On 26/08/2016 at 9:08 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

#17 House prices here can be ridiculous and are now way beyond most single purchasers, \snip\

I live in Caithness, in the far north of Scotland, where my stand alone house (Former railway station), nearest neighbour almost half a mile away, and two acres of land turned over to garden and park-like area are worth around £180k.  If the same place was in the 'Home Counties or the South of England it would be worth millions!  House prices in UK are nothing short of insane.

• 1 month later...

Just watching a documentary on favorite foods in Britain. Full of useless comparisons, the introduction was that last year Britain's consumed enough milk to fill the river Thames for one and a half miles? How stupid a comparison is that, at the source (disputed, but in Gloucestershire), it would not need much milk, but down near the barrage a whole lot more.

Apparently Britain ate enough potatoes, boiled, chipped or baked, to fill Trafalgar Square to the height of Nelsons Column 25 times over?

Britain also consumed cheese to the equivalent weight of 24 cruise liners (big ones or little ones?)

Enough apples to fill up the entire Clifton Suspension Bridge surely they would all fall out of or off the bridge.

To be fair they did later clarify the amounts in number of or in litres and kilos.

Why do they fill documentaries with useless comparisons, do they really think it makes it easy to visualise? Or is it sensationalism aimed at making us stay watching?

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

The useless swimming pool comparison rears its head again.

Apparently the South Australian grain harvest this year will be enough to fill 3500 Olympic sized swimming pools or 10.5 million tons.

If you tell me the tonnage I don't need the useless comparison.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Just reading an article on my favourite "hate",  useless packaging, and came across this packaging for a coconut in plastic foam mesh, cling wrapped with two stickers on the wrapping. It went on to say that since being invented the world had produced 8.3 billion tons of plastic, equivalent to the weight of a billion elephants.

An elephant weighing 8.3 tonnes, I'd like to see that.

Coconut in plastic

• Like 1

From the ' Boys own book of useless facts'     (Google)

Heaviest elephant weighed in at eleven tonnes

Average bull elephant  six and a half tonnes

8 minutes ago, Brew said:

From the ' Boys own book of useless facts'     (Google)

Heaviest elephant weighed in at eleven tonnes

Average bull elephant  six and a half tonnes

Agreed, the average weight is around 6 tons but we are talking about useless comparisons and how many people knew that an elephant weighed that much?

10 minutes ago, Brew said:

So really two average elephants are equal to a double-decker bus!

How do you get two elephants on a double decker bus …….  easy ……..  one upstairs and one downstairs

Well done Brew you have invented another comparison.

• Like 1