I've acquired an old (1970s?) stage amplifier / PA unit and wondered whether anyone here has experience of using this model (because I have no instructions). It is a Carlsbro Marlin 1042, four channel mono input, mono output (something like 100-120W). It is 'solid state' (no tubes/valves) and has a spring reverb inside.

There is a Notts. connection in that Carlsbro was founded in 1969 by Stuart and Sheila Mercer in Mansfield and made a range of professional audio/PA equipment; some big names used their gear and it was regarded as creating a distinct 'British sound'. Carlsbro went into administration in 2009 (though the brand relaunched since with different owners) and there's scant information on the Internet for the old gear (I was looking for a schematic diagram or user guide).

• Upvote 1

I do not have any manuals or circuit diagrams etc, but I did buy one of these new from Carlsbro in the 70s and replaced it soon afterwards following various "problems" - one being related to crackling input sockets.

It went back to the shop a few times and they tried to put the blame this on the microphones being used (Beyer) but the mics worked fine with other friends PAs and other makes in the shop....

On occasion (and totally unexpected) the reverb would give out a loud "crash" but this was a minor problem compared to it being unreliable on the road.

What is surprising (and somehow comforting) is that one has survived this long.

I do hope that you manage to sort it out, especially the crackling inputs.

I have a Carlsbro Marlin amplifier somewhere but no documentation. I don't know the number but I think it has 6 channels and output is 300 watts. I connect it to a pair of Carlsbro speakers (150 watts each) which are very heavy as each cabinet contains 2 x 12 inch speakers. I have not used this set up for many years, but remember getting the amp fixed at some stage at the Music Inn. I could do with getting rid of all this some time but didn't know if there was still a market for it.

Smiffy49,

I will be able to sort crackling inputs if necessary, even if that means new 1/4" sockets. I was a little concerned to find the mains fuse blackened and in two pieces but a new fuse got it to fire up. I don't have suitable cab(s) at present to evaluate fully but have found that most of the pots are scratchy when I attached a couple of 8" drivers. I can strip the pots and clean/lube.

Each of the four channels has two inputs labelled 1 and 2. It is all mono so I don't know whether these are mike and line or what. Also each channel has an aux push button. I need to clean the pots then have another play.

The Engineer

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the update, should be an interesting project.

Your mention of the main fuse also reminded me that we used to carry a set of "spares2 as this was often a problem with them blowing for no apparent reason.

I hope it works out and thanks for stirring my memory on something I had forgotten from my youth.

No sign of a schematic for 1042 on that site. Don't actually need one yet - just 'nice to have' if I can find one. A user guide or full spec. might be more useful for now.