The Ward Family Jacksdale

I am trying to trace information about my mother's family who lived in the Jacksdale/Westwood area of Nottinghamshire.

My mother's maiden name was Betty Ward and she had brothers - George, Frank, Jack and Bill (whose surname was Lowe) and a sister, Ruth (married name Forsdick)

Mum wasn't very forthcoming when it came to talking about her family. My Grandfather George Edward Naylor Ward was a miner. His first wife, Lucy (nee Lowe) died in the 1940s and he remarried a lady called Bertha.

I also have relations with the surname Scothern.

All help will be gratefully appreciated.

Hi Nanny0

Welcome

I live at Jacksdale (4/5 years) even though I still class myself as a Nottingham person but I do have a lot of

friends here so I will ask around for you.

Watch this space.

Welcome NannyO

Your George Edward Naylor Ward appears to be illegitimate . I can see a baptism at Underwood Church in 1898 .

No father mentioned , just mothers name Mary Ann Ward.

Unfortunately am away at the moment and my phone has gone into go-slow mode so having difficulties checking census around that time .

There's a possible right Mary Ann Ward , born 1877 living at Underwood on the 1881 Census .

Father is George Ward born late 1850s at Birchwood Derbys and mother Lavinia Ward born Belper .

They are living with Lavinia's mother Hannah Green who was born Heage 1824 .

Thanks for help thumbsup

My main problem is Frank Ward who I can find nothing about and I only know of because Mum included him when she listed her siblings. The only other account of him is a blank entry under his name in an old address book. I would love more info about her siblings an other immediate family as I have lots of photos I cannot identify and sadly mum passed away in 2014 after suffering dementia for many years.

This might be him :

"SELSTON AND SUTTON CYCLISTS INJURED"

A Bentinck Colliery miner. Frank Ward. 29. of Portland-road, Selston, apparently lost control of his bicycle to-day while riding downhill on the Kirkby-Selston road at Kirkby-in-Ashheld. He sustained head injuries

October 7, 1950 - Nottingham Evening Post -

• Upvote 1

Hi NannyO

Have asked around can't find out anything, but you might try the local church yard in Jacksdale/Selston/Underwood, or there is a local paper called Badjer Newas the editor is Dorrienne phone 01773 779492 I'm sure if she knows anything she will help you, or e-mail www.jacksdale.org.uk also there is JACHs who look after the solider war memorial you need to contact Carol

at

MCM 25 mAIN rd Jacksdale NG16 5JU

hope this helps

Good Luck

• Upvote 1

BACK FROM SINGAPORE

.....prisoners of war who were entertained at party held at 20, Castle-gate, Nottingham, to-day, included Pte. G. Ward, of 36, Palmerstone-street, Jacksdale, believed to be the only Notts, man who has returned from Singapore. Pte. Ward was captured by the Japanese, but the ship was torpedoed and Pte Ward spent 4 days in a life raft before being rescued "

March 10, 1945 - Nottingham Evening Post

• Upvote 1

NannyO have sent a private message to you . Look for the envelope icon in the notifications .

• Upvote 1

BACK FROM SINGAPORE

.....prisoners of war who were entertained at party held at 20, Castle-gate, Nottingham, to-day, included Pte. G. Ward, of 36, Palmerstone-street, Jacksdale, believed to be the only Notts, man who has returned from Singapore. Pte. Ward was captured by the Japanese, but the ship was torpedoed and Pte Ward spent 4 days in a life raft before being rescued "

George Ward is mentioned in the book "Return from the River Kwai" by Joan and Chay Blair. We have a copy of the book and it is interesting reading. Please do not see the film which was supposed to be based on the book. It is utter American twaddle and nothing like the real story.

George is the one of the few siblings mum remained close to but I still don't know the names of his wives (I think he was married twice) or whether there are any children.

I find it sad that Mum was so sparing with information on her family. She moved away from Nottinghamshire, joined the NAAFI, met my father and became a naval wife, and finally settled in Winchester when he left the forces and set her sights on a completely different lifestyle. Even her accent changed, although some of a Midlands sound could be heard in certain words such as grass and castle. It was as if she did not want to know her family roots.

This might be him :

"SELSTON AND SUTTON CYCLISTS INJURED"

A Bentinck Colliery miner. Frank Ward. 29. of Portland-road, Selston, apparently lost control of his bicycle to-day while riding downhill on the Kirkby-Selston road at Kirkby-in-Ashheld. He sustained head injuries

October 7, 1950 - Nottingham Evening Post -

This could back up the details of Frank Ward given earlier as the ages tally. Thank you

BACK FROM SINGAPORE

Thank you for this info.I didn't realise he could have been recognised in such a way as many of the Japanese POWs were not acknowledged as it was after VE day.

• 4 years later...

Records here include school admissions and give child's date of birth, so, looks as though Ruth is there ...

Small world etc

So I click on the link and there is the admission entry for my mother-in-law Freda Aindow, later Bamkin, and her siblings. They lived in Palmerston Street, between the Millingtons and the Forsdicks.

Here is my better half aged, I think about 13, and her grandad, William Aindow

Westwood, Notts ... a visit to Grandad's mid 60s.

Here is my album of Jacksdale images

Jacksdale and nearby.

Freda is buried at Jacksdale and so there is a visit every now and then.

B.

• Like 1

I've never been to Jacksdale - or anywhere near it, as far as I know. Its only claim to fame is that in the 1970s and 80s there was a club/pub named The Grey Topper, which always had local groups/DJs appearing. It was much advertised and promoted back in those days.

I used to go to Jacksdale with my pal John Furness, when he used to visit his Aunt & Uncle. We always went to swim in Jacksdale reservoir if the weather was nice. Must have been about 12/13ish at the time. Wouldn't know where to find it now. No doubt Mary1947 could tell me. (or Jill Sparrow will tell me off for polluting the water).