can you think of any more?

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We used to have a baker that delivered daily. A van with ironmongery and hardware came once a week. The railway station had magnificent displays of flowers in Summer. There was a coal fire in the wait

I remember the patriotic songs we had to sing at primary school - as well as those you've mentioned there was one called 'Hearts of Oak' I think, which had the phrase 'we'll fight and we'll conquer ag

I've posted on here before that I couldn't care less if people aren't always correct with their spelling. If they've got something to say then I want to read about it. I can still reed it evun if it's

The Gypsy ladies who used to knock my door and sell pegs, bits and bobs or offer to tell my fortune. They would come around every so often and I haven't had one knock my door since around the 1970s.

We still get the milkman, gas man, electricity man (who doubles as the gas man), the fish man, the tea man, the old ladies' lunches man, and the postman, but we live up north.

• Upvote 1

#7. They are still around. The last two that came to our house were riding bikes! God must have trimmed the budget.

Edit: Now I think about it, they were Mormons. Makes no difference, they still had that misguided view of life.

• Upvote 1

I was at a loose end the other week, so when a Mormon knocked on my door I invited him in. 'What shall we talk about', I asked. 'Dunno', he replied, 'I've never got this far before'.

• Upvote 2

I remember someone who came to collect the pools coupon on a Friday evening (Littlewoods or Vernons I think?)

We sometimes get some Swiss Company, think they are called Yodel?

phil, I'm sure God DID know what the nun wanted, but because you turned her away, you still don't know! Perhaps you should have asked her when you had the chance?

She just might have been lost and wanting directions to the nearest convent. Strange that she was on her own - don't nuns usually walk round in pairs?

The Davenports man, ..................." beer at home means Davenports" , as the advert went

She just might have been lost and wanting directions to the nearest convent. Strange that she was on her own - don't nuns usually walk round in pairs?

Yes they walk around in pairs to ensure the other nun doesn't get nun

When we lived down Ashleigh Street the Davenport man called every Friday. One friday me mam and dad where having a big row as he popped his head round the back door saying cheerfully - Davenports. Oh Shit mum shouted. "Yes madam some people call it that but I am suppose to say Davenports," he replied

Row forgotten

Best wishes

Peter

• Upvote 1

My mate was a TV repairs man and called at a house as the wife was going out and she told him the problem. She said he husband was in but he was stone deaf. Any road up Andy repaired the TV then shouted at the man in the arm chair is that OK? Yes he replied but there is no need to shout. Your wifetold me you were deaf The man smiled Yes she's thought that for the past 12 years!!!!

Best wishes

Peter

The chimney sweep.

The paperboy.

Of course the rag and bone man has been replaced by the man who takes anything metallic that is not bolted down.

• Upvote 1

Just read the lists. We still have a Betterwear lady, but it's a brochure now, not a suitcase full of samples.

• Upvote 1

We're in a throw away society now I'm afraid. If its worn, it's just replaced.