Pills, Tablets, Meds

I am sure there will be a few Notsttalgians not so fortunate with their health like mwar, who have to rely on meds probably to keep them alive, and like me, so very grateull.

Just recently because of my irrational fear of the dentist,( I have been known to up and off in floods of tears from "THE CHAIR") I have been introduced to a new pill, I wont say what it's called but it ends with Pam and starts with Loraza. :biggrin: It has done the trick, My first visit to the Birmingham DH was a complete failure (No Pill) I upped and legged it! Three visits since, one being this morning I have sailed through, with my magic pill.

The problem afterwards is that I have spent all day in bed with sea sickness, no balance and feeling really Yuk. The tablet got me to the dentist, but I have lost a day. How these pills get the name happy pills I will never know. But.... for me they have served a purpose and I am thrilled to be having my much needed dental work.

If there are any more scaredy cats desperate for dental work to be done out there, it rarely is worth a visit to the docs to inquire about help. What does the team think, I am sure there will be fores and against. I put my hand up as a for!

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am sure there will be a few Notsttalgians not so fortunate with their health like mwar, who have to rely on meds probably to keep them alive, and like me, so very grateull. Just recently because of

Sod the pills Carni, get yourself a caramel cream doughnut!

I guess there's nothing wrong with happy pills Carni, although I've never had to even consider such medication. You have a very real fear of the dentist and you've found something that helps you. Kee

Not to do with Dentist Chris,but my joints are hell..even as I type- but the medicines which are of a similar nature,knock me for six!

So I smell like a four eyed polo mint at the mo,lathered in deep heat!

But if it was to get me thru a fear...deffo!!

I guess there's nothing wrong with happy pills Carni, although I've never had to even consider such medication. You have a very real fear of the dentist and you've found something that helps you. Keep taking the tablets gel, but only while you're having dental work!

• Upvote 2

Sod the pills Carni, get yourself a caramel cream doughnut!

• Upvote 2

Carni

What ever gets you through it, as most know I suffer the dreaded dental phobia, I would rather have have an arm removed with no anesthetic, than let them in my mouth with a drill, probe or pliers ! so will get my doc to get me some, as a dreaded visit is becoming ominously closer methinks, maybe I'll bite the bullet (excuse the pun) and have what I have left, removed in one fell swoop, falsies can't be that bad, and no more dentists ever !

As an aside, they are very addictive tablets if taken long term, as any benzodiazapam is, my mums drug of not her choice, Ativan,

She suffered chronic anxiety, so was hooked for years on them, but in her early 70's she went cold turkey and beat them. But that's another story.

• Upvote 1

I shouldn't read this if I were you, carni. I am not trying to be macho, or manning-up, but some years ago now I decided not to have an injection when at the dentist having a filling or extraction. I was fed up with leaving the surgery with a numb side of my face, biting my tongue and all that. So I told them to get on with it. 'But you will feel pain' - yes, but the pain will stop when you stop. When the pain hits you it sure makes your head press hard into the chair headrest, but then it's gone. When I had my two front teeth ground down for crowns, she had the syringe all ready, but told her not to bother. Apart from the grinding noise in my head I did not feel a thing.

CHRIS, if you are reading this, take a look at carni, I think she has passed out.

• Upvote 1

Carni, I can't fault you. We all have our fears and if a bit of medication can help us through why not? Last time I went for an Angiogram, they were offereing us all the blue 10mg Valium tabs which will have you not caring what anybody does to you. I'm not fond of dentists, but can usually cope. No way I'd go without the injection though.

That said, and for what it's worth as we all react differently... I have suffered with anxiety on and off for decades. In the 70s I was given Lorazepam and really didn't get on with it. Not pleasant. Since then I have used Diazepam. (Valium) I don't use it often at all and certainly not daily. Although the packet says 'Take one as required', I usually only take 1/4 tab and only then if my usual coping strategies don't work. If I'm really worried about something. (Usually my daughter travelling to 'iffy' parts of the world, or somesuuch) ,I might take a few doses in a few days. But, presently I haven't had any for weeks. So, I don't think the odd tab will do you any harm and getting your gnashers sorted is very important for long term health. If I take more than about 1/2 of a 5mg tablet, there can be a slightly 'hazy' feeling the next day, but it's not unpleasant.

Good luck!

Col

• Upvote 2

My dentist is Swedish, very pretty & blond with light blue eyes. For some reason I don't mind going to the dentist. My advice: get a dentist who you fancy & are semi in love with, works for me, lol..

• Upvote 2

The latest offering I was prescribed for hip & leg pain work great, BUT the side effects are worse.

Instead of being awake all night with pain now awake all night feeling & being sick, no thanks.

I don't mind dentists, it's needles that get me, can't look. In a previous life Mrs Catfan was a trainee dental nurse & what she tells me the phobia of dentists is very widespread. I think a lot of that stems from butcher school dentists years ago.

What colly0410 says about dentists don't work for me. My previous dentist, sadly no longer with us was very homosexual, I couldn't fancy him ! But a fantastic dentist, never met one any near as good as he was.

colly 0410 #8. My previous dentist was a very beautiful Spanish girl from Madrid. She could have extracted my feet through my ears and I've have thanked her..

My present one is an African guy. Excellent Dentist in every way, but somehow he doesn't have the same appeal.... :)

Col

• Upvote 1

I agree miick..I knew a young girl who didn't leave her bedroom for an entire year!!...totally whacked out on tablets for nerve damage to her jaw/face.

I've stopped moaning about my joint pain to herself...because she thinks I Should take these meds!!

Hobgoblin and 33/1 winner works wonders!!

Ian you are my hero!

Seriously, I don't cope well with pain and I just feel fortunate that I only have little bits of it to deal with. I hope you can eventually find something that helps without giving equally bad side effects.

Col

Ey up Col,when I was full scale in the building trade,I used Voltarol suppositories for years...4 hours pain free..but my GP says "no more".

Lately I am the Tipperary version of Max Wall,Glucosamin works if you take it every day..though I think that is a mental thing..years of working in the rain on dumpers and digging footings in wet clay have taken there toll.

A villa in Spain with no lawns and a chiller that never empties would be the ideal cure for my ills...Benjamin is coming an'all!

#14. I tried a suppository once - for what good it did me I might as well shoved up my arse. Ah, the old ones are the best ones.

• Upvote 1

I went to a friends (she's a dental nurse) wedding night due a couple of years ago & my dentist was there, she didn't know anyone & came & sat with us. When the slow dances came on she grabbed me & there I was with my face buried in her soft neck; aaaahhhhhh I so cherish that memory. :) :)

I take It you didn't have the duck suit on that night colly.

She'd have run a mile if I'd got my duck suit on Fly2. She told me all about Malmo where she's from, I was really interested & listened very intensely, drool. SWMBO said "put your tongue & eyes back in" she knows you know..

Don't they all. Well nearly all. LOL

I had a good dentist when we lived in Sacramento, an elderly gentleman, he never used a hypodermic to administer the local anesthetic, he touched the area with some tool or other, anesthetic via pressurized means ?? I know I never felt it, and within seconds the area was numb.

He also never gave unnecessary treatments, I have a couple of wisdom teeth, neither cause me any pain or trouble, dentist before him wanted to remove them, I refused on the grounds that they have never bothered me, he argued, but I stood my ground..PROFIT, was his motive. The old Dentist on my first examination with him, just asked me if they gave me any problems, No I answered, so he said we won't mess with them then.

• Upvote 1

I don't have any wisdom teeth. It's not that they haven't erupted - there aren't any there! The dentist confirmed this by an X-ray several years ago. He joked that I must be more highly evolved than other people. He said that wisdom teeth existed to help replace other teeth that had been lost perhaps through damage or decay. People nowadays often have problems with wisdom teeth not having enough room to come through properly because they aren't losing any other teeth (better diet and dental care). He also said that there seemed to be an increasing problem with children's milk teeth not being lost before the adult teeth start to come through which can cause difficulties as well. This, too, could be because of better diet and care of milk teeth nowadays.

I suppose what he was saying was that wisdom teeth probably aren't needed anymore (and I'm one of the first to be without them - my words). I presume I've got an appendix though and that is redundant for humans...

I wonder if there are other parts of our body we don't need any more, or can do without...

• Upvote 1

She might even be too young to remember the Forest-Malmo final Michael.

• Upvote 2