I'm not in any way religious, but I do like a good sing, As a result of having sung in St Aidan's church choir I find myself, 60 years later, able to sing along to any number of hymns, either from the English Hymnal or Ancient and Modern. I even find myself occasionally singing Baptist hymns from my time in the Junos at Queensbury Street. Bring on Love Divine all Loves Excelling or Thine be the Glory! Anybody got any favourites?

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I was at Portland Infant School we used to sing a hymn that started "When a knight won his spurs in the stories of old". It was a great tune and some of us used to sway from side to side to the

When we moved up to Derbyshire many years ago and attended church we noticed that the hymn book was PC . Onward Christian Soldiers, Stand Up stand Up for Jesus not in, ( tune was in but the words chan

Here you go phil. Just two of my favourites.

Victory in Jesus. Good old gospel song. I want it sung at my funeral but that's another thread. If you want something a bit more formal / Anglican. For all the Saints. Very English sounding, tune by Ralph Vaughn Williams.

As a fully paid up atheist I have nothing to do with prayers when I am at funerals; but I do like a good hymn. Those that get me singing are:

The day thou gavest (Lord is ended). Mam liked it so we had it at her funeral.

All things bright and beautiful,

Amazing Grace.

Abide with me.

Might not get a seat at Gods table, but might get me past St Peter.

• Upvote 3

When I attended Trent Bridge school we had assembly every day in the school hall. We'd always have to sing a hymn and two that I loved singing were Jerusalem and There Is A Green Hill Far Away. My friends would stand near me, giggling as I sang from my heart. The words to the songs were shown on a roll that hung from the wall.

• Upvote 3

I really love 'Gather The Grain',totally different but gets me weepy-

'You Are Near'.

Regardless of what church/chapel you attend the common thread is goodness to mankind as a whole..some days I fall down,but I try.

When at sea on a Sunday the Captain always held a church service the final hymn was always the Naval hymn which I Always felt was Entirely appropriate especially when we were dived at 600ft in places we really shouldn't have been. It remains my favourite hymn.

• Upvote 3

#16 so how do you feel about the modern tunes Chullah, I love the 'traditional' tunes and remember many hymns from school assemblies and Sunday School. I was at a wedding a few months ago but didn't recognise the tunes to any of them!

My favourites are 'O Jesus I Have Promised' and 'Onward Christian Soldiers' :)

• Upvote 3

I know what you mean, OA. There are Christmas carols whose titles I am familiar with but their tunes are totally alien, and none of them better than the originals.

Just your opinion, Chulla. The other tunes have always been there, but each church or school or wherever decides at some point which tune to have, and that's the one you remember. I 've always quite liked it when a different tune to the one I'm used to is played because it makes me think about the words more. I suspect that people sometimes sing along to a familiar hymn tune and don't think too much about what the words mean!

• Upvote 3

Some good nominations here. To me the tune is the important ingredient, as the lyrics are often contrived and banal. When a favourite hymn is sung to an unfamiliar tune can be a real bummer.

• Upvote 1

When we moved up to Derbyshire many years ago and attended church we noticed that the hymn book was PC . Onward Christian Soldiers, Stand Up stand Up for Jesus not in, ( tune was in but the words changed ) also in many hymns gender changed to obliterate any reference to 'him'. I joined the Parochial Church Council and as Church warden changed the hymn books back to the more traditional ones. Of course the C/E has tinkered with the liturgy for many years and it puts many people off.

Happy memories of St Faiths Church in the Meadows and morning worship at TB school.

Kind regards,

Tony

• Upvote 4

When I was at Portland Infant School we used to sing a hymn that started "When a knight won his spurs in the stories of old". It was a great tune and some of us used to sway from side to side to the music. We got told off for that. Now I rarely hear this hymn and I think it has had some of its wording changed to be politically correct. Shame.

My favourite hymn is "Be still for the presence of the Lord". It has a lovely tune and it is the first hymn that our son ever played the organ for in a Church service. He was still at junior school at the time and having difficulty reaching the pedals! A very special moment that I will never forget.

• Upvote 5

My infant school was All Hallows Gedling, and we spent most celebrations just around the corner in that lovely old Church on Arnold Lane Gedling. That is the time and place that I learnt so many of our old Hymns. There are many that have stayed with me in my life, from that time in my childhood. I try to think of one special one, but as soon as I do, another favourite pops into my mind. Here is a good site where we can see the words to so many of those lovely old Hymns. I hope you enjoy reading them as I have.

http://www.songandpraise.org/

• Upvote 1

I've checked out the top 50 faves, Carni, and there's no place for Love Divine, or even Dear Lord and Father of Mankind. I guess its a Euromission jury.

• Upvote 1