• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I was at Portland Infant School we used to sing a hymn that started "When a knight won his spurs in the stories of old". It was a great tune and some of us used to sway from side to side to the

When we moved up to Derbyshire many years ago and attended church we noticed that the hymn book was PC . Onward Christian Soldiers, Stand Up stand Up for Jesus not in, ( tune was in but the words chan

Here you go phil. Just two of my favourites.

Jim started a great topic here,because it actually got me thinking and remembering mass at the Cathedral and school assembly.

The Lord is My Shepherd has I suppose been with me all these years without Really thinking about it...though for me St.Anthony takes on that roll- an ideal patron for the likes of me!!

• 3 years later...

Having had religion stuffed down my throat every morning for 10+ years via school morning assembly probably helped lead me to the beliefs I hold today, that and the logical application of science and common sense.

That said, some of the songs sung still stick in my mind were mostly those that were sung at Harvest Festival time such as :-

We Plow the Fields and Scatter and Come Ye Thankful People Come

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ValuerJim said:

At the last funeral I attended they played Ed Sheeran's Supermarket Flowers. Not a dry eye in the house.

Jim 

That song is heartbreaking,  it was 21 years ago last week that I lost my mum. It would have been a fitting tribute to her too.

I never knew that Ed Sheeran did stuff like that, I shall look at his music in  a new light.

At our dearest friend's funeral , they played "I'll be seeing you, in all the old familiar places". He used to live off Thackerays lane, Woodthorpe. His wife still lives there

• Like 1

I think we've  had this discussion before Phil. Do you know the big house on the corner of Park rd. and Thackerays lane? He used to live there. I once did a painting of that place, from across the other side of the road.

It had a Thackerays lane door number, I think it's no.5. Our friends who lived there wanted to downsize, so they had a bungalow built in the back garden, but kept the garage which is just round the corner going onto Park rd.

When building was finished, there was still loads of room for both homes to have decent size gardens. I may be wrong but, I believe the 'vicarage' is at the back of the church.

Edit... Just had a look on Mr.Googles map and it looks like the vicarage is in between the church and the house on the corner. B.

one of my favourite  hymns when i was younger was "Onward Christian Soldiers"

When it was my dads  funeral and because he used to be a pub singer has our friends/family went into church we gave them each a white handkerchief  what is this for they ask?       "just wait and see."  was my reply

So when the song Goodbye, Goodbye, I wish you all the luck Goodbye, was played  we told in fact no-one needed telling they all stood up and waved their handkerchief.

What a lovely end for a pub singer.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Stand up stand up for Jesus my dads aunt played this on the piano we had a sing song on Sundays in her front room along with other hymns another one she played was All things bright and beautiful the front room was full of family and friends way back in the 50s.

• Like 2