Do You Still Read A Newspaper?

This is a nostalgia site so its no surprise a lot of the chat here is about the past. One thing people did more in the past, we are told, was read a paper. I remember my gran in Woodthorpe was a regular reader of the Daily Express in the 70s and 80s (a much different paper then). I was just reading through the site in general and a number of posts complained about this newspaper and that and their supposed influence over people. Yet, at the same time, we are told that these days all newspapers have much reduced readership as things like the Internet give people reasons not to buy one. Most people seem to think papers are full of rubbish anyway.

I started buying a paper when I started working in the 80s. It was something to read during breaks. But my life took various twists and turns, including stints abroad, and now it strikes me I probably haven't read any newspaper for about 15 years. I don't miss it.

So I have two questions for the good folk here:

1. Do you still regularly read a newspaper?

If so:

2. Why do you read the one you do?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watching an old episode of Yes Minister recently, mention was made of the type of people who read certain newspapers. The Mirror....... Read by people who think they run the country. The Gua

Surely the point of buying a newspaper is to be informed about things you don't know ? Treating it as something which merely confirms existing ideas seems a bit of a waste.

When I was a kid we had the Daily Express, which was no doubt rubbish, but since I wasn't really politically aware or informed I wouldn't have been too critical of the news coverage. The Express phot

Not a regular reader since retiring, but was always an avid Daily Mail reader. It printed what I wanted to read. Simple as that.

• Upvote 1

I'm addicted MM,.......keep saying going to cut down but do'nt,.....i buy 2 Dailys sorry 3 cos the Post is now a Daily.plus Hucknall Dispatch weekly plus Bygones and Basford By-stander bi-monthlys.,

the Daily Mail is my main Daily,cos i tend to agree with MOST of their views (not all),the Post cos its local same with the Hucknall Dispatch.

• Upvote 2

I have been a Daily Mail reader since the year dot.I also read the South Wales Echo(obviously the Evening Post before I left Nottingham.)

That covers national and local news.

I tried the Express once,an awful paper.

We go out to the supermarket or coffee shop most days and I will always read the paper they have out preferring the Times and or Mail. My wife used to buy the Mail every week day but now only occaisionally. Not snobbish reading the Times but I have no interest in much of the gossip in many of the papers and still struggle to see why much of it is considered news.

• Upvote 2

Not a regular reader since retiring, but was always an avid Daily Mail reader. It printed what I wanted to read. Simple as that.

Surely the point of buying a newspaper is to be informed about things you don't know ? Treating it as something which merely confirms existing ideas seems a bit of a waste.

• Upvote 5

When I was at work I used to buy the Mail and loved doing the back page crossword every day .

Since retired , doubt I buy the Mail once a month , though did buy one in Alicante airport last week to read on the plane back . 2.20 !!!!

Do buy the weekly local paper The West Briton . Often just to look at the cars and properties for sale.

Yes we have The Times everyday. It's delivered to a collection box in the village since the shop closed. It's a mile there and back. I used to drive to avoid having to get involved in inane chat with people but my wife has taken over and walks. She loves the gossip. Can't start the day without doing The Times crossword. As a subscriber I can read it on line but there's something about having a proper paper on the breakfast table. Freshly ironed to remove the creases of course.

• Upvote 1

'er indoors buys the local papers. We get the Caithness Courier on a Wednesday and the John O'Groat Journal on Fridays. I only look at the Planning apps section to see how many new wind farms I have to object to.

• Upvote 2

We buy the Cambridge Evening News, but only 2 or 3 times a week at that. Read the free Ely News as well. On holiday, we sometimes buy a national newspaper because we've more time to read it then. Depends on my particular mood which newspaper, but I like the puzzle pages in the Mail

Mrs Loppy subscribes to the local paper here. She is an avid coupon clipper and figures it pays for itself with what she saves on groceries. I consider it a pathetic left wing rag that I wouldn't honour by wiping my butt on it. Not only that it would block the septic tank. Yuccch! :-)

• Upvote 1

Why does the American Butt and Ass'......sound so much better than our Arse.............guess Loppy will go figure it out Guys..............lol.

• Upvote 1

Butt and ass are just two of the American expressions for backside - the other is fanny. Warning to Yanks over here, don't go there.

• Upvote 1

We have changed from the Times to the 'I'. The 'I' gives a lot of 'proper' news for 40p. It also has a great puzzle page. Sport and the Financial sections are a bit more limited than the Times though.

Saturdays Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday, definitely not for their political view but the sports pages are good and the crosswords, after that its a firelighter. Oh and Monty Dons tips

I have the Lincoln Echo and the Newark Advertiser every Thursday.

On occasion I pick up a copy of the Sleaford & Grantham local papers.

They are both a good local read and apart from the usual supplement "padding" of houses & cars for sale, offer good value for money.

It is possible to buy the Nottingham Post in Lincolnshire (I think it's also available as far away as Skegness?) but find it a poor version of the old Evening Post from days gone by.

I left Nottingham about 20 years ago and our local paper is 'The Sentinel' but I keep asking for an Evening Post.

I enjoy the Daily Mail - and get ribbed continuously at work for doing so - as I enjoy the cryptic crossword. Not that I have ever completed it!

Not bought or read a newspaper for about 30 years, if I want to check the news then it's the t'ternet instead. As far as I am concerned all newspapers are biased one way or another.

The Sun, Star etc I would never class as newspapers, I wouldn't even have my chips wrapped in them, total garbage.

I would buy a newspaper if only if it contained ONLY good news !

• Upvote 2

We have a newspaper delivered every day. For at least 35 years we had Daily Telegraph plus Sunday Times. A few years ago my husband was working away for several weeks and I realised that the paper was still sitting on the kitchen table unread as I had a lot more to do while he was away. I decided to change temporarily to Daily Mail as it was easier to flick through. When hubby returned home we never reverted back to the Telegraph. We still have the Times on a Sunday and there's certainly plenty to read in that.

When we're away we have a Daily Mail every day.

Stopped buying the Evening Post years ago, it's such old news and not even printed in Nottingham. I buy Bygones occasionally but Nottstalgia is a far superior source of nostalgic info!

We both love having a proper paper to read at breakfast and to pick up during the day. The Sunday Times takes all week to read too.

• Upvote 4

19............Loppy,.......a proper Rhett I reckon mate...............

• Upvote 1

We used to have The Daily Mirror and The Mail seven days a week; plus the occasional local paper. A couple of years ago we decided to stop having all papers and see how we got on. Hard to believe how easy it has been, we never missed them at all.

We estimate that we have saved over a thousand pounds. Now and then we will buy a paper if we fancy a read, and we still use the Link to all of the Newspapers on line that Michael Booth kindly put on Nottstalgia for us. Thanks Michael. :biggrin:

Here is the Link if anyone wants to give it try. http://www.thebigproject.co.uk/news/#.Vzov5ZErLIX

Just click on "More UK" and then on the area you are interested on the map for the local papers.

• Upvote 2

Dad always had the Daily Herald,Nottingham Evening News and the Nottingham Guardian Journal,...........plus the Daily Sketch,........he also loved Tit-Bits and the Revellie (spelling).,and of course the Bulwell Dispatch..............

• Upvote 1