Do You Still Read A Newspaper?

It was the Daily Herald for my dad, as well, but we were an Evening Post household. We considered ourselves a cut above those of our neighbours who took the Evening News. A bit like BBC and ITV.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watching an old episode of Yes Minister recently, mention was made of the type of people who read certain newspapers. The Mirror....... Read by people who think they run the country. The Gua

Surely the point of buying a newspaper is to be informed about things you don't know ? Treating it as something which merely confirms existing ideas seems a bit of a waste.

When I was a kid we had the Daily Express, which was no doubt rubbish, but since I wasn't really politically aware or informed I wouldn't have been too critical of the news coverage. The Express phot

Thanks for reminding of old Sundays past Lizzie, until he passed my Dad always got the Sunday Times and The Observer.. All those fantastic photographs and features from '66- '76 I'd say was there heyday: moonlandings/Nazis/Montgomery/Cassandra/Queen Mary fire/Terence Donovan etc.. Great ads as well!!

Got me into reading big time.

My parents always had the Journal then the Post and also the football paper. We do not have daily papers. I check daily news on line but the advertising that goes with on line papers are a pain. We get a Sunday Times every week from the supermarket.. After lunch I like to put my feet up and read the Sunday Times main paper, Money and Business. Then I check the TV programmes in Culture. Style and the Sunday Times magazines are good to read through the week as I drink my coffee in the morning. I spend a lot of time using a computer and so it is nice to have books and a Sunday paper to read.

In the 50s and 60s my father took the Sunday People and the Daily mirror along with the Nottingham Evening Post. Occasionally, he would also take the Football Post. I don't recall him ever taking the Guardian journal. Our papers were delivered and it was my job to go down to the newsagents once a week and pay the "Paper bill."

Used to deliver the papers in our village and one of the few joys in the winter was being the first footprints in the newly fallen snow.

Enjoyed Saturdays delivering the Football Post and the Football News, usually made heaps on tips from the blokes in the pubs.

Sunday was always hard work because of the size of the papers and the "extras"

In Adelaide the local paper "The Advertiser" can best be described as a comic not bought it for years. I get my news from t'interweb these days.

I do use the link that Michael Booth put on to read the UK newspapers now and again.

Used to deliver newspapers around Highbury Vale for Stirlands at Vernon Rd post office and Westons on Tollerton Green. Tuesdays and Thursdays were the best, when Dandy and Beano came out, and as Oz says, Sundays were a pain; take one bag so far, then go back for the second. But when I got my Trent Tourist, with a rear wheel pannier rack, I was sorted. There were some decidedly odd customers.

• Upvote 2

When I was a kid we had the Daily Express, which was no doubt rubbish, but since I wasn't really politically aware or informed I wouldn't have been too critical of the news coverage. The Express photonews often had some great shots though.

We always had the Sunday People. No doubt another quality rag..

And the Nottm Evening News.

It's been said above. The national newspapers are all politically biased and so you either get your prejudices confirmed or challenged. Not much point in that IME. I don't want to be fed anymore lies and spin.

Two papers I will never buy, no matter how desperate I am for a read: 1. The Mail. Some of it's lies are beyond the pale, even for a known tabloid rag. After that idiot in Derby burned all his kids to death, the Mail claimed that there were 'thousands like him' in the country. Most people on benefits have enough to deal with without being tarred with the same brush as him. I put in an official complaint about that. 2. The Sun. Too much of a comic for me to buy anyway, but since their lies about Hillsborough they will never get my cash.

The only paper I've regularly purchased was the Times Educational Supplement when I was working in Careers. Once my job was ruined and turned into a numbers game by the likes of Gove, there wasn't even much point getting that.

Don't get any of them now.

Col

• Upvote 4

I always remember my first visit to America and seeing the paper boy, on Sunday, throwing the paper on to the lawns of the houses. The Sunday edition of the Los Angeles Times, with its supplements had well over 200 pages (or was it over 400?).

my dad always had the Daily Mirror, which I continued buying until my late 20's (mainly for cartoon strips, The Fosdyke Saga was my favourite the "wrong loony" joke was classic from Bill Tidy), then changed to Daily Mail for many years, after which I 'took' the Daily Express.

Only buy papers occasionally now, but both Sat & Sunday Express + Romney Marsh Express + "Looker" which has local news

ValuerJim#37

I delivered my papers on a Trent Tourist too, three speed Sturmey Archer gears and a front wheel hub dynamo for the lights.

Never had a pannier rack, used to balance the paper bag on the crossbar. The shop owner used to drop the second or sometimes third bag at a prearranged spot on the round. Loved going around on Saturdays to collect the paper money, got lots of tips then too.

• Upvote 1

I haven't seen anybody mention the "The News of the World." Now there was a Sunday paper! If you liked the sordid stuff. Certainly an introduction for a seven year old to things he hadn't a clue about. Not the best place to learn it either. Is that rag still going?

Yup, Oz. Collecting the paper money on a Saturday certainly widened my experience of the world. The bored housewife and the sad manboy spring to mind, but the tips at Christmas were good, and the odd fiddle used to boost our earnings. I was once pulled in by the police at 6:30 one morning - I liked an early start. Apparently it was illegal to employ someone under the age of 13 before 7am.

Never knew that it was illegal to work before 7:00am before the age of 13.

I used to try and get my round done and be home by 7 to have breakfast with my dad or brother who had just come home from the night shift.

Yes Jim, you did see some "interesting" sights, on one of the streets I delivered to I was never sure who lived in which house as I often saw the same people at different houses?

• 6 months later...

Watching an old episode of Yes Minister recently, mention was made of the type of people who read certain newspapers.

The Mirror....... Read by people who think they run the country.

The Guardian...... Read by people who think they ought to run the country.

The Times.......Read by people who do run the country.

The Daily Mail...... Read by the wives of the people who run the country.

The F T. ....... Read by people who own the country.

The Morning Star...... Read by people who think the country should be run by another country.

The Telegraph....... Read by people who think it already is. 

The Sun...... Read by people who don't care who runs the country as long as page 3 has big boobs. 

Amazing to think that this episode was over twenty years ago.

• Upvote 5

Exactly Lizzie, and you read the Mail ! 

Now now Den...... Quality not quantity !

We have The Times everyday but since the village shop closed last year we have to do a half mile walk to a box in the middle of the village where it is left by a newsagent. My wife usually goes as it's a chance to catch up with village gossip! If I go I drive as I'm antisocial!

Friends of ours, many years ago, had the village shop in Willoughby on the Wolds. It sold a bit of everything, including being a post office. The newspapers were delivered very early and usually left in bundles on the doorstep. If it was raining at delivery time, they would be left in the phone box. But, if it rained between delivery and our friends taking them in, then they had try and dry them before the paperboys came. They said they'd have them on radiators and be ironing them to speed things up.