Do You Still Read A Newspaper?

I used to get the Telegraph every day, but nowadays just on a Saturday. I remember in my youth my parents had the Evening Post and Telegraph every day, while i got the Victor comic once a week and

my brother and sister also got a weekly comic delivered. We must have kept the newsagent going in those days!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watching an old episode of Yes Minister recently, mention was made of the type of people who read certain newspapers. The Mirror....... Read by people who think they run the country. The Gua

Surely the point of buying a newspaper is to be informed about things you don't know ? Treating it as something which merely confirms existing ideas seems a bit of a waste.

When I was a kid we had the Daily Express, which was no doubt rubbish, but since I wasn't really politically aware or informed I wouldn't have been too critical of the news coverage. The Express phot

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 9:58 AM, benjamin1945 said:

I'm addicted MM,.......keep saying going to cut down but do'nt,.....i buy 2 Dailys sorry 3 cos the Post is now a Daily.plus Hucknall Dispatch weekly plus Bygones and Basford By-stander bi-monthlys.,

the Daily Mail is my main Daily,cos i tend to agree with MOST of their views (not all),the Post cos its local same with the Hucknall Dispatch.

I still have a daily paper and a Sunday paper, (The Mail) as I always do the crossword and send it off..........One day they will pick me out to be a winner........

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

I rarely buy a paper, but whilst at my daughters today, I flicked through yesterday's. What utter barm pots these editors / journalists are for thinking that we are all uneducated and ill informed oafs. 

Are we really remotely interested in the Oscar fiasco, David Bowie's long lost 'love' children, Ant & Dec's Saturday Show, deadbeats like Heseltine and Major, the new series of the appalling new Top Gear line up. A super rich brat who regularly parks his Lamborghini in the Lord Mayors parking spot, and openly gloats that he'll continue to do so as he can afford endless tickets. 

Cheltenham council should crush the bleddy thing. Cafe Nero not paying Corporation Tax for ten years. Cambridge students complaining about their meals. Mel C's tattoos.......... Zzzzzzzzz 

• Upvote 1

re#26, We are another year down the line since cutting out the newspapers, that amounts to approximately another £500 saving in the last year. I can't say we have noticed being any richer for it but we must be. I'll be honest, we do buy one very occasionally if there is something happening in the locality  and we want to know what it's about. A waste of money really, because a few taps on my laptop and the story usually comes up on screen.? 

Last year I paid for a years subscription to have Nottm Bygones on line and that finishes in June, I don't think I will bother again, I more often than not forget to look at it.

Michaels newspaper Link is helpful and free, Am I getting tight in my old age. Nah, I'd rather spend it on dudoos.:)

• Upvote 1

Never thought I would,but ive cut the Papers down to two a week........not the same reading the news on line....and somehow miss the comfort and habit of Newspapers.....but as Fly says they are mostly full of crap i'm not interested in...................

• Upvote 2

TV is getting the same Ben. I really have to scrutinise the TVs guide to find something remotely interesting.

As long as it doesn't interfere with HER tripe of course !

TV is as bad.........i'm forever searching with the remote......ive solved the problem of watching the tripe my better half watches..........I go to my man/den room.........and quietly moan to myself.........lol

• Upvote 1

I have just had second thoughts about renewing my Bygones subscription in June, it's definitely on again.

I have just been skimming through the Mon 6th Feb 2017 issue and read a lovely story written by Colwick writer Joy James. The story is familiar to many of us regarding 'The Gas man cometh', that wonderful feeling as we watched him pile the pennies up on the kitchen table in little one shilling piles, discarding the foreign coins that no one has any idea how they got in the meter. Great story.

Also, an account of Gunthorpe Bridge where once stood Roman Legions on guard. Their fort was at Margidunum alongside the Fossway between East Bridgford and Bingham, where in AD62 the warrier queen Boadicea routed men of the 9th legion and then burnt the fort to the ground. What a rotter. Still all's fair in love and war.

Lastly, a story of Peter Stringfella recalling his best days, he went back 50yrs to the days of the Dungeon Club, and how much he enjoyed DJing occasionally there. Of course it was great..... It was in Nottingham.....What else could it be.

Well that is just a little of what is in the Feb issue, three very different types of stories, and loads more. I think I like the Gas man story best, I can just taste the fish and chips, we got treated to when he had gone.

Yep, definitely going to keep my subscriptions going for another year.  Just a little query that you can help me with, after all the years of saying Boadicea, who said we now have to say Boudicca. I just wondered. 

Edited to correct spelling. Still not sure??

I'm with you lot on this topic.  We get the local rag, but it's such a lot of left wing commie twaddle I hardly read it.  The rest seems to consist of the latest robberies hold ups and violence followed by what's going on in Hollywierd.  TV's about the same.  Mrs. Loppy likes to cut coupons out of it?  Says it pays for itself that way.  Hmmmm!  We have a separate room for the tv, so I usually get my laptop out and prowl around NS or watch something on YT that someone here has recommended.

• Upvote 1

Jill, thank you for your reply,  As regards pronunciation of Boudicca/Boadicea, do you think it is just a matter of what ever each school decides. Chris was schooled in W-ton and I in Nottm and yet we both are familiar with the Boadicea version, and only became aware of the other version in recent years. What does the team think. 

• Upvote 1

Carni , Bygones seems good value for £11 per year if they are all like the 48 page sample copy but can you read old back-issues with that subscription ?

Or can you only read the ones you have paid for ?

David, As far as I can see, I can go back to the March 28 2016 edition. Which has the headline 'Elkie Who'. Long story, to cut it short, the connection with Nottingham is that 'Elkies Brooks' real name was 'Elaine Bookbinder', and it was decided on the tour bus by Arden, a very skilled music business operator, who had taken her under his wing, that it would be changed for a more fitting name.

Passing through North Notts; he spotted the sign for Mansfield Rd and told 'Elaine' that from now on she would be known as 'Elaine Mansfield'. Later on in her career she ditched the name that she disliked and became known as 'Elkie Brooks'.

Arden later became known as 'Mr Big', He introduced 'Elkie to his family and she would often stay with them, one of his children Sharon, later became 'Mrs Ozzy Osbourne'.

I have never delved deeply into Bygones, but will take a look and see if I can go into the archives before last year when I joined. Just going back through a few issues tonight, I realise just how interesting the papers are, and must remember to renew my subscription.

• Upvote 1

carni and Jill, i know that the pronunciation is now Boudicca, but several years ago I always referred to her as  Boadicea so that must have been what I'd been told....

Both Chris and I must have been taught the same pronunciation as you Margie. Perhaps it changed after I left school in 1963? 

Or is it the same difference as Scon or Scone and Haslet and Hayslet, spelt Scone and Haslet but pronounced differently by people.

We have been here before....me thinks. lol:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

just 'wikied' the pronunciation...

Boudica or Boudicca (/ˈbdkə/, Latinised as Boadicea or Boudicea /bdˈsə/, and known in Welsh as Buddug [ˈbɨ̞ðɨ̞ɡ])[1] was a queen of the British Celtic Iceni tribe who led an uprising against the occupying forces of the Roman Empire in AD 60 or 61, and died shortly after its failure.

so we were using the Latinised version.  I quite like the Welsh one!

• Upvote 1

Boadicea when I wer' a pup.

edited to add.  Just think though Carni.  If you'd have been on B's team you could have raided every Roman bakery from Saxondale to Newark and taken all the cream cakes hostage.smile2

• Upvote 1

#68. David, I have logged in to Bygones and had a good look around. I can't find anything that says I can look beyond the issues for the year I have paid for. I vaguely remember that one of our NS members wrote a piece that was published in a Bygones issue quite a way back, just wondered if it was you?

Thanks Carni . Yes I did get a mention in one of the issues about one of the Beatles concerts at the Odeon.

• Upvote 1

I've got the issue thanks Carni .  Lizzie helped me out at the time ....Nearly 4 years ago ! 

I wasn't asking about that article in particular but just curious if there was access to back issues . :)

This was the thread it was mentioned in .

• Upvote 1