Help !!!! with little problems

This Topic is really on behalf of Mary 1947,who had a problem removing her Ice Cream cake wrapper......and we also have probs with them little butter wrappers...........there are so many of these little 'irritations' for us oldies nowadays.....ive had a right 'chesty cough for about a week can't get rid inspite of buying a bottle of Cough medicine...........it would help if i could get the bleddy top off................lol.

• Upvote 5

Don't start me off, I could moan for hours about child safety caps, bloody 'ell, they don't realize we oldies could be dead before we got "fings" open!

• Upvote 3

Van I was driving over the weekend had a rear shutter that wouldn't lock so we had to buy a padlock. Thing is, the stupid blister pack the lock came in took more getting into than the lock would have... :angry: ...

• Upvote 2

I never buy trousers or jeans with fly buttons. Far too fiddly. Zips only.

I've definitely not reached the stage where I require elasticated waistbands yet though.

• Upvote 1

I agree with you about fly buttons, FLY2. You fiddle about putting them on and taking them off, it's absolute murder. My wife once bought me a pair of jeans with buttons and I told her never to buy me any again. It was quite a while ago when she got them for me and I wore them when we went to a carvery for lunch. After a while I was busting for a pee and went to the Gents. I stood at the urinal fiddling about with the buttons. Because the jeans were new the buttons were tight and it was taking me ages to undo them and I was aware of the men in the other urinals looking at me. When I got back to my table my wife said that I'd been a long while and was everything all right. Yes, it was, apart from my embarrassment in the Gents. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Maybe things started when we were children?

Try Liberty Bodice with rubber button's Plus us women had to put up with stocking's now don't you men get excited because they were not very comfortable to wear.

Long hair our mums used to nearly drag our hair out by the roots when brushing it, and theirs more but I'll save it for later.

You men had it easy.

• Upvote 3

Mary, you didnt know how bad us lads had it.

I recall that some "modern" underwear in the late 70s and early 80s was synthetic instead of cotton. It caused a rash from your navel to your knees and was as comfortable as having a troop of hedgehogs camping in your skiddies.

• Upvote 2

Had a bottle cap so tight the other week I had to go and get my slip joint pliers to get the stupid thing off.

Those blister packs are a pain. I read recently that a lot of folks end up in the emergency room with deep cuts trying to get into those things.

This is between you and me! I am the culprit, responsible for all the little dents down the hinge side of the kitchen door; where I have trapped bottle lids in, pulled the door to and twisted the bottle to unscrew the lids. It Works. Don't split on me will you? :biggrin:

• Upvote 7

Just run the jars, bottles etc under a warm tap for a couple of minutes eases the cap somewhat. Other than that, then the inside edge of the door.

It's a good job you manage the cream cake packets Carni, or there would be all hell let loose !

Or use one of those strap wrenches, we always keep a small one in the drawer to open tight jar lids, bottle lids etc, cheap as chips and give extra leverage.

• Upvote 1

We have just got back to our Apartment from a round trip approx 10mile cycle ride from Lythum St Anns to B-Pool. A good two hours walking on the prom and around the shops. Tea is made and you are right Fly2, no problem opening the Greggs box containing the two fresh cream iced fingers. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Mary i also remember the rubber button on the dreaded liberty bodice and as you got older rubber suspenders !!!! Long hair in my house meant hair wrapped in wet strips of cotton to make ringlets for special occasions, sleeping in them was torture.

Gem and Mary, I remember those rubber buttons too. I had to wear woollen stockings in winter when I was little because I kept getting chilblains. My mum wrapped my hair up in rags every night so I had curls the next day. You're right - they were uncomfortable to sleep in

• Upvote 1

After benjamin1945 started this topic for me I thought that I should add to it,

You get the top off the milk then the hard bit when you try and get that little paper cover with the bit to hold on to, rips off, so you get out the pointed knife and dig it into the paper top, yes!! your right the milk shoots out of the bottle and you and the floor are covered.

Next those packets of peas with the lockable zip, first it tells you to tear off the top section (DO NOT CUT) it say's have you ever tried to tear the top section off, it's like trying to tear a rubber tyre apart, so again you get the scissors out , yes! your right kitchen floor covered with peas.

If you want to get jar top's off just bang the jar lid on the floor and the top comes off easy. Don't take scissors to it.

PS I think that a man invented the lockable zip for the peas.

• Upvote 1

I found that when mum ask me to do the ironing those rubber buttons if caught by the iron would melt.

Girls can you remember when we would go to bed in rollers next day half of your hair was curly and half was straight.

When we went to the hairdresser and you had your hair backcombed lacquer and combed smooth it would not move for at least a week, then when you tried to brush/comb your hair you would lose half of it in the brush.

• Upvote 1

When I first tried making jam I had a problem getting it to set so I got some commercial pectin to add. I put this in and boiled it well then put the jam into jars. It set so that problem was solved. I gave my mum some. She had a problem trying to get it out of the jar! My mum was not one to give up easily. She stood the jar in a bowl of hot water, ran a knife around the inside of the jar and eased out a cylinder of jam. Mum then sliced the jam to put on her toast! Problem solved. My jam that needed slicing remains a family joke and we have loads of laughs.

• Upvote 4

With the child-proof tops (mouthwash, bleach, ant-powder, weedkiller, etc.), I modify the first one (by cutting the internal tabs off with a craft knife) then transfer the 'special cap' each time I start a new bottle. Mind you, when modifying one my knife slipped (close shave but no blood drawn). Why don't they give us a choice between 'sensible adult' and 'child-proof'? We're not all numpties.

Another way into tight jars is to stab the lid with a paring knife (me and my knives - you'd never know I used to work in Health and Safety)

Today, a colleague handed me a Nescafe coffee sachet and asked me if I could open it for her as she was struggling. One of those where you tear the end off where it says "tear here" (she hadn't noticed that instruction).

When we had our first freezer I used to go to the farm shop to buy vegetables, prepare them and freeze them. The problem was that they would stick together. I used to hit the pack on the worktop to separate the veg and I would complain about having to do this. When it was my birthday my husband gave me two presents. In the first parcel was an engineering hammer! The perfect tool to solve my problems with frozen food. I still have it and use it to smash apart frozen food when I need to. My husband intended this as a joke. I am still thanking him for a very useful gift!

• Upvote 1

As every sheet metal worker knows, if you hammer metal against a hard surface it will stretch it. So, when you have a jar of something that you just cannot twist the lid off, then get something hard, like a knife handle, and tap it fairly hard around the edge of the lid. Hey presto, it will release its grip.