Help !!!! with little problems

Shirley's concrete jam reminded me of my late Mum's attempt at baking bread, it was so hard it could have been used as a house brick, we'd have broken our teeth had we tried to eat it.

Chulla and annswabey. Thank you for the tip. I have never tried your method of removing lids, so the next time I can't open my beetroot jar, I will give it the "tap, tap,Whack and twist test". It's marvelous how long a jar of beetroot lasts when you can't get the lid off! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

I mentioned a strap wrench on the first page of this thread, we keep a small one for jars and I keep a large one for pipes, screw on oil filters etc in the workshop, very useful tool.

Eileen, I do the same thing because metal (the lid) expands more than glass (the jar) when it gets hot

• Upvote 1

I use a teaspoon to "pop" the lid, by easing the edge of the lid away from the rim. Usually opens easily after that.

All the talk of the packing things come in reminds me of Jack Dee (or it could have been Michael Mackintyre) and buying a pair of scissors to find you need the scissors to open the pack that they come in!!!!

• Upvote 1

Most bubble packs are designed to stop thieving..it's harder to swipe a piece of stiff card with the goods attached than just the contents.Poly bags can be puntured with fingernails,,,,bubble pack plastics are much harder.

• 2 weeks later...

Post No.1 Benjamin: I have an engineering vice in the garage that I use to remove "Childproof" tops from tubes, jars, bottles, etc.. Simply clamp the top firmly in the vice and gripping the tube, bottle or whatever in both hands push and twist at the same time. Make sure that you twist your hands and not your body or folk will think you are dancing.

• Upvote 1

A tip from my engineering days re: removal of metal lids from jars. Take one gas welding torch and use flame to create a "Hot-spot" on the edge of the metal lid. The hot spot causes the metal to expand and break the seal, thus enabling one to turn the lid and remove it with ease. Don't forget to wear leather gloves for this operation as heat can burn.

:crazy:

• Upvote 1