With terrorism rife in parts of the world and the news of the Egyptian air disaster I'm quite happy to stay within these shores.

To hell with airports and international travel....I'm here on this planet just the once and I intend it to be the longest stay possible.

Come to that you can keep London too....

• Upvote 1

Well each to their own Poohbear, on my way to London now to granddaughters birthday party,

Last weekend party in Mallorca......it depends on how much you want to stay in your backyard or how much you want to enjoy.....

You could be in danger within your own 4 walls without the fun

• Upvote 2

All of life is a gamble but I like to improve the odds as much as I can. :-)

Edited to add. Went to Bognor once. They had a factory there that made refrigerators. I was sent there on a course. Wonder if the factories still there? Probably moved it to China. Bognor was not a bad place as I remember it. Bit different to Skeggy.

• Upvote 1

It's pointless hibernating and becoming reclusive, life goes on. I'm still going to fulfill my holidays and travelling plans.

I could be mugged in Bulwell or be mown down on Hucknall Rd. The terrorists will NOT win!

• Upvote 4

Id love to see the Pyramids and visit places in Turkey...but not nowadays. Not that I could afford it anyway...the state pension doesn't allow for holidays..

Exactly, there's more chance of being injured within five miles of home.

You have to be choosy where you visit. Everyone knows areas south and east of the Med are dubious FFS. How much more news coverage does one need!

Stick to northern and Eastern Europe . I'm doing Liverpool Whit weekend, Scotland in July, then next year resume my travels in Europe.

You've just got to be sensible, it's that simple. Egypt .... Forget it.

• Upvote 1

Poohbear, purchase the Sun newspaper from tomorrow, Saturday, and there's an offer on for 4 nights (Mon-Fri) in caravans and chalets throughout the UK for £15 pp.

I've had loads of these over the years and have visited some great places. I rarely use the onsite facilities, and just use the van as a base. Try it!

• Upvote 1

We are off to Holland again next week via the Harwich ferry .

With all the security checks at airports for luggage etc makes me wonder why cars aren't checked more going onto ferries .

Unless there is security we don't know about , the only check is at the gate for passports and issuing cabin keys . A car exploding in the middle of a car deck would make a heck of a mess !

loppylugs, don't start calling Skegness because a lot of us grew up going to Skegness for our holidays. It was like a second home to us when we were kids. Bognor better than Skeggy? No way. :biggrin:

(loppylugs, just in case you were wondering, my post's in jest)

• Upvote 3

I think it was Edward VII who, on being advised to spend some time in Bognor for his health said - bogger Bognor! Actually, It is a nice area, all along that coast.

Nowt against Skeggy, Michael. Had some happy enough times there. Just mentioned Bognor because it came up. I wasn't there for a holiday, although I did take my wife along.

Hippo Girl #7. Who was stabbing who and why? I guess we will soon need a license to own a knife eh?

Edited for spelling. Rotten Ipad!

What worries me about these Med holidays is the poor misfortunates that boated in from Syria are still in apartments in these resorts..not paying thru the nose at Thompson Travel for a gaff when next door twenty are squeezed into a flat/driving battered Lada's and frying goats heads ...peeking at me in me Speedo's!!

I think it was Edward VII who, on being advised to spend some time in Bognor for his health said - bogger Bognor! Actually, It is a nice area, all along that coast.

Actually I was alleged to be the last words of George V - Bugger Bognor. Sorry but I'm a pedant!

I'm sure if I tell him I've got hold of some secret tapes,Tony Blair might put in a good word with his old mate Cliff and get me a free stay at his pad in Barbados.

King George 5th liked Bogner.......thought you might like that useless bit of information......

Actually I was alleged to be the last words of George V - Bugger Bognor. Sorry but I'm a pedant!

Be very careful who you say that to..... some people can only grasp a syllable at a time... :Shock:

Col