Discovering Britain - Nottingham Caves

• 1 month later...

When I was at Central Fire Station in the late sixties, we had a key to a door in the corner of the yard which took us down steps to three levels of caves. Most had evidence of wartime air raid shelters. There was still Elsan type toilets . There was no ventilation, it must have stunk during air raids ! The Police had a firing range in one corner. I did my breathing apparatus training down there. Smoke not required, pitch black is an understatement !

Great days, pity the old place is to be pulled down.

• Upvote 1

I worked for some years at 24 Low Pavement in Nottingham which was then the offices of Warren and Allen Solicitors. The building itself was a Georgian town house built by the Gawthern family. By the time I worked there, the interior had been divided up into offices but it was still a very interesting place as the original fireplaces and friezes were still in situ. Up in the Attics were the Old servants quarters which were used for storage of files and I did once go down into the cellars. From there, it was quite easy to see caves running off in all directions, some of which must have gone underneath Bridlesmith Gate and others up towards High Pavement.

At the back of 24 Low Pavement, beyond the garden which still had, in my day, part of its original stone fountain, I believe there was some sort of cliff face and a sharp drop downwards in the land level. When I looked out of the window of my office, I could see at a much lower level, the car park at the back of the Broadmarsh Centre.

• Upvote 1

Thought provoking when you think that where you sat in your office was the very first place in Nottingham where early settlers made their home.

(And no I don't mean the stationery cupboard :biggrin:)

The ideal place for early settlement with the natural defenses provided by the sandstone cliffs.