I had a cataract in one eye about 15 years ago and had surgery, where my own lens was removed and an IOL (intra ocular lens) fitted. It was done in day surgery and was totally painless! A nurse held my hand all the time and the doctor kept explaining what he was doing/about to do all through the surgery. I found it strangely relaxing! Your head is covered by a sheet and only the eye being operated on is exposed. You can't see anything while it is happening, perhaps just occasional shadowy shapes AND IT DOESN'T HURT.

When I took the dressing off later that day I could see perfectly. I've always said it was the nearest thing to a miracle that I've ever experienced! Comparing my 2 eyes, the one with the new lens showed everything looking brighter, especially white things. I suppose that's how it looks when we are children, then the lens gets older and things don't look so bright, but we don't notice because it happens so gradually.

For about 12 years the 'new' eye was much better than the old one, but I now have age-related macular degeneration so it's evened out a bit.

• Upvote 9

Thanks for that Margie,i was told the same as Cranky a week or two ago,...........on the subject of eyes i had an extra large 'Bag' appear under one eye a couple of years ago.I asked the Doctor about it,she just said 'oh its nothing' and without meaning to be funny added 'just keep your eye on it'.

Two years on its still there does'nt give me any bother and blends in nicely with my Scars,creases and Wrinkles.............lol.

• Upvote 2

Mrs Loppy had it on both eyes a couple of years ago. They separated each procedure by about six months. She reported no pain and said after a day or two it was now like seeing everything in HD. Only has cheap drugstore glasses for reading now.

• Upvote 1

My wife had both hers done a few years ago .Because there was a backlog it was performed in a state of yhe art mobile operating theatre in the hospital car park . All the staff were flown in from South Africa !

It was like a conveyor belt of patients , wheeled through one after the other .

Completely painless and a huge improvement .

• Upvote 1

Last year I had a "bubble" discovered on the back of my left eye, my good eye.

When I went to have a needle pushed through my eye to pop the bubble, the doctor declined to carry on with the procedure because I had 20/20 vision in that eye with specs on.

Why risk it Catfan ? he said.

No complaint from me.

• Upvote 1

A needle through the eye. FFS , who came up with that bright idea? Dr Mengele ?

• Upvote 4

For anyone needing injections in an eye, I can put your mind at rest.

I have over the last year had a series of injections in my eye for a retina problem.

Like most people probably would be, I was worried about this but the experience was absolutely painless....

A quick swill of anaesthetic in the eye and then an injection, very slight irritation like grit in eye, but that was all.

All over 'in the blink of an eye' as it were.

• Upvote 3

My mum had cataract surgery on both eyes some years before she passed. At one point, we virtually lived at the QMC!

I stayed with her on the second occasion and even went as far as operating theatre ante room before squeamishness overcame me! She was much braver than I when it comes to needles.

The drops were a bit of a pain. I think my technique resulted in mum getting more up her nose than in her eye but it was amazing the amount of new jumpers, dresses and carpets I acquired after her first op. "That's new. Haven't seen that one before!" Well, yes she had, just not with the clarity she had after the op.

I hope it never happens to me because I'm such a 5 star coward, I'd rather have the white stick and a guide cat!

• Upvote 2

In my late 20's I was silly enough to be "angle grinding" on a car I was restoring, I had used some goggles but pushed them up to check my work , then without thinking ground a bit more, and bang something hit me in the eye !

Off to the old eye hospital where they found I had a piece of metal filing stuck in my eye ! straight into surgery and I nearly died when they came at me with a syringe, but after a few eye drops they injected me in the corner of my eye and removed the offending metal splinter with no pain at all, just lost vision and saw a few stars, then they put a patch on, next day was sore but that was all.

I would imagine cataract surgery to be similar, one day I may find out I suppose, but at least it saves your sight.

• Upvote 2