A view of Abbey Lane, Dunkirk, which is now buried under the University grounds. The photographer was standing roughly where the arrow is. There appears to have been a bit of building going on since the photo was taken.

aPaUYQc.jpg

• Upvote 5

Always assoiciate Dunkirk with the PDSA,Cricket and Tennis on University boulevard,Boating on the Lake and Fishing on the 'Police Ponds',........another bit of Nottingham that holds so many happy memories.............

What a lovely calm picture Cliff Ton, it's quite staggering when you compare it to todays aerial view.

I was walking around that Boating Lake today benjamin with my trusty hound and what a nice walk it was.

• Upvote 2

Taken from the top of the old Dunkirk Fire Station, looking at what is now the site of the flyover.

The road going off to the top left is Beeston Road, leading to University Boulevard. The dual carriageway centre-right is the ring road going towards Derby Road. The large building on the corner has gone, but most of the others have survived.

dunkirk_zpsjxrj4xku.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • 6 months later...

Who did he work for Ian? And when/where did he die, I presume when you said lost, you meant that he died whilst at work. The jacking community is rather small, so just wondering if I ever met him.

• 2 weeks later...

I vaguely recall taking some legal documentation to the QMC before it was completed or up and running as a hospital. Went in a taxi and it waited for me while I wandered around what was, basically, a construction site. Wouldn't be allowed today! The Elf would not approve.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Me too in the mid 80's and 90's - I used to scrap a Jaguar almost every week - a bare shell filled with as much rubbish as we could find and get between £80 - £100 a time !

• Like 1
11 hours ago, roger peatman said:

Me too in the mid 80's and 90's - I used to scrap a Jaguar almost every week - a bare shell filled with as much rubbish as we could find and get between £80 - £100 a time !

That is quite an old photo, the 2 brothers split the company into 2 separate companies.

John Pownall  kept the steel part of the business.

Michael pownall kept the non ferrous side of the business.

John sold out to the Sims group, and made a fortune.

Michaels business went bust about 18 years ago.

Michael pownall, passed away last year.

• Like 1

Didn’t Jackie Pownall have a yard somewhere in Radford. I remember walking past his yard on the way to the swimming baths - thinking about it it could have been in the Noel St area 

• 11 months later...