I have been suffering with a tooth abscess but now on antibiotics.......

I have never experienced this before and wondered if any of you had ? Any advice on pain relief, swollen face, feeling c..p will be gratefully received.....

At odd times, but Jameson's does the trick for me.

• Upvote 1

I had an abscess years ago on a tooth that was crowned. Antibiotics will start to work within a couple of days HG. Don't resort to the drink! Hope you feel better soon x

• Upvote 1

Only joking about Jameson's. Stick with the antibiotics.

Sorry about that Hippo.............Anti-biotics,no drink oh dear,...........i'll send you one of my last surviving 45s to listen to.i know you love Cliff Richard.....very soothing.............

• Upvote 1

At least she won't be able to take a bite out of it.

HG, I am the same as Lizzie, I had abscesses under front crowns, I hope your Antibiotics kick in quickly, but there is one thing you can try. I have just been using it after treatment that I am having at the moment. It is Bonjela for Adults. Believe me, it's nothing like the one for children. It works like a local anesthetic. It is very powerful and I recommend you use it sparingly until you know how much you need to ease the pain. remember, as you swallow it can make your throat feel numb. No problem, once you are aware of it. I didn't like the feeling in my throat, so I didn't swallow, but used a tissue for a while. It worked wonders for my Dental probs. Best Wishes HG.

Very good stuff, recommended to me by the Chemist here in Lytham St Annes.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear about your abcess Chrissie, had one years ago myself, not nice.

You MUST finish the antibiotics tho.

Put your mind off the pain & think about a nice bottle of red when you get sorted !

• Upvote 1

Drill through to vent it and the pain will go away quicker than Antib

Its because the puss has no where to go so it builds up pressure and you get swollen & pulsing

Wont give Antib here as when you really need them you have built up resistance.

Ps if its a upper tooth its more dangerous than a lower as it has a direct route to the brain.

Anesthetics don't work when its abscessed.

Ps if you have a puss bleb on the gum you can always pop it & that will vent it (Not Kidding)

Benjamin has the same problem, hippo girl. :biggrin:

Cheeky Michael,.........its only coz i got a shakey left hand............lol.

• Upvote 2

# 18, blimey dgbrit, Hippogirl will be worried about pus on her brain now!

I do remember having my affected crowned tooth being drilled and an antiseptic root filling put in but I thought it was after a course of antibiotics.

• Upvote 1

I've had plenty of abscesses. That's what my front teeth are a mess now. I was would have been in my early 20's when I had the first then at regular intervals. Tooth drilled to drain off and then root treatment. The dentist then did warn me that the treated teeth would eventually disintegrate - well that happened! The last was about 5 years ago and the attitude from the dentist was just to take the offending tooth out straight away. I avoid dentists like the plague now.

• Upvote 1