If you are happy with your older 7 or 8 Windows or even older, BEWARE, MS has turned to deceit to make your computer download Win10!!!!!

Read this and take note before you click on the X in the nagbox popup!!

http://www.wnd.com/2016/05/bill-gates-of-hell-windows-10-hijacks-computers/

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Catfan, with all due respects, read the article, you'll see where I'm coming from. The popup they keep sending has been "fixed" so when you click on the X, the normal way of refusing anything, MS Win1

I see Microsoft being sued over this issue, a Lawyer could retire after suing a case like this, I'd say this stupidity, or rather greed, could well end up with Microsoft going bankrupt. All that is ne

With all new versions of Widows it's best to let the dust settle before upgrading. If your PC still works most likely many of your programs won't.

Yes. I noticed this too.

It smacks of desperation on Microsoft's part.

They've tried everything to cripple previous versions of Windows in order to coerce you into getting Windows 10 - the most intrusive and invasive OS yet.

They constantly tell us that Windows 'recommends' this and Windows recommends that, the most prominant one being Microsoft Updates.

If you dutifully allow 'updates', then a popup will constantly appear (since Windows 10 arrived) telling you to 'upgrade'.

They've now taken this a stage further by organising the irritating popup so that when you dismiss it, it automatically starts to install Windows 10 anyway !!

Idiots.

If they developed something that people actually wanted or needed (or addressed some of their blatent flaws) then they wouldn't have to resort to such ridiculous tactics.

I am afraid that is exactly what happened to me. I ended up not being able to get rid of the popups and one day somehow it just started installing itself. I thought perhaps I had zoomed my cursor over an install sign. Once it started, I tried everything but could not stop it. I am now on 10, but can't say I have noticed anything better or worse, but I only use my Laptop for entertainment not work related.

Edit. After reading the link, it explains exactly what happened, it wasn't my fault, the cross to get rid of the popup was set to install when pressed. It did as well.Crafty Move.

• Upvote 2

I see Microsoft being sued over this issue, a Lawyer could retire after suing a case like this, I'd say this stupidity, or rather greed, could well end up with Microsoft going bankrupt. All that is needed is a class action suit being filed at $1000 a pop, 5 million or more joining the lawsuit and Microsoft is toast.

My next upgrade will be a linux based upgrade, 7 will be my last Microsoft product, and I've been seeing many others posting similar around the internet over this issue.

• Upvote 2

A word of warning from someone trained in such things. If Windows does start installing or upgrading don't try to stop it as this may render your device unusable as it will "get stuck" as neither one thing or the other. Once it has started you need to let it complete before deciding what you want to do next. If you have the software on disc or somewhere else to revert back or re-install then you can do that then. If not, carry on with the upgrade. But trying to stop it once it has started is not advised at all.

Yes that's exactly what happened to me. I don't think anyone believed me when I said I had clicked the X

Oh dear Grandma is having a senior moment again.

Can't see a problem with this free upgrade at all. If you really don't want it then it can be easily refused, just do a simple Google search for answers like I did.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-prevent-windows-10-upgrade/

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-stay-on-windows-7-8-forever-stop-upgrade-notifications-3614204/

http://www.windowscentral.com/heres-how-stop-free-windows-10-upgrade-your-computer

Those are reputable sites to look at, it is that easy.

My wife told me it happened to her, she couldn't stop it downloading, so just switched her computer off. It's not about whether it's any good or not, having it thrust down our throats by deceptive means is sooo wrong.

I do not want it, I'm happy with Win7, and when I get a popup I don't expect some corporation to down load their crap when I close the popup by the accepted means, ie by clicking in the X.

This mess MS has created has turned me totally against them, it will be Linux Ubuntu for me when I'm ready to upgrade now.

Catfan, with all due respects, read the article, you'll see where I'm coming from. The popup they keep sending has been "fixed" so when you click on the X, the normal way of refusing anything, MS Win10 automatically takes over and starts downloading, that's the problem, forcing people by any means to accept 10 and the hell with it.

If you and others like it, fair enough, but how would you have taken it had it been forcibly loaded onto your machine against your will??

That's my argument.

• Upvote 5

You are soooo right, John. Win 10 may be fine for those that want it. That is not the issue. The real issue is being sneakily tricked into installing an OS you did not ask for when you are perfectly happy with what you already have. I'm staying with Linux. I don't like the way Apple pretty much push you into downloading the latest OS for Ipad. It worked best with the OS it came with several years ago. This Ipad will be my last Apple product.

i upgraded to Win 10 because i hated Win 8, what with all those things popping out the side every time i hovered over the right hand tool bar. Must say its much better so no complaints here

We've got two laptops, one on W7 & t'other on W10. On W10 a thing called 'cortana' keeps popping up when I click on owt, drives me mad so go back to the W7 one. Only got the new laptop that was pre-installed with W10 to back up the old W7 one. Managed to transfer music & files to new one OK...

Easily turn Cortana off colly !

I understand what Ayup is saying, taking away people's choice to upgrade or not. I happily upgraded two PCs from Windows 8 & recently bought a new Win 10 machine so being forcibly upgraded without a choice is wrong.

Had Linux Ubuntu as well for a couple of years, dual booting with 10 on this machine. Best of both worlds really, not all progs run on Ubuntu so use 10 for that.

Also we have two Chromebooks ! Totally simple O/S based on ............................Linux ! But only good for internet, emailing etc, not forgetting owned operated by, you've guessed it ....Google !

I have an imac and an ipad. One of the reasons why I made the move was because of MS upgrades which effectively made my computer a box until the download finished and had to reboot. All I wanted to to was check emails and such.

Unfortunately Apple has followed a similar path and can now cause problems on a daily basis due to upgrades. One of the worst was when they recommended that I turned on Firevault to protect my computer. Anyone who has an Apple - DO NOT DO THIS EVER. It will lock your computer completely and render it quite useless. There is a way to stop it but its not easy and could wipe out your hard drive. This was when I upgraded to El Capitan.

As for Windows 10 I do not know but if they are trying devious techniques to get it to install its not good. If it is a good OS people will fight to get it.

I tolerate my imac and largely it has functioned well, but its five years old and is showing its age. The recent Apple imacs are not really that much better. At the time, my imac was the hub for my iphone and ipad, which functioned effortlessly. A few years on Apple has not improved. The iwatch is jus a toy.

Samsung are close to beating Apple with integrated systems but what is a great disappointment is that Apple has lost the lead by a very long way.

I have tried Windows 10.

It's quite good from an OS point of view e.g. boots up quicker, but I was quite happy with what I already had.

Everything was working fine.

I didn't want to change and I really don't appreciate being forced into 'upgrading'.

Some of the things that happen when you migrate to Windows 10 are that peripherals like scanners and printers might stop working because there aren't any Win 10 drivers for them. Software that worked perfectly happily on 32 bit Win 7 might not work so well on 64 bit Win 10.

All your surfing and web habits are reported. You are coerced into the Microsoft 'paid-for' bubble like The Cloud and Outlook, and yet you are STILL vulnerable to things like Cryptoware - which they haven't yet resolved.

I really hope somebody does sue them.

I upgraded to a MacBook Air last July and have never looked back, I would never have another windows device ever again.

Catfan, all my previous programs run easily and faster on the mac, and I have not found any yet that I would use that don't, not saying there is none, but not what I've needed.

I even use Firefox on the mac as I prefer it to apples safari browser. I don't use many Apps either, only maybe Google maps and a few travel type things.

I have friends in the IT business and they tell me that win10 is the most invasive OS ever developed, it reports back to home (microsoft) giving them heaps of your personal info, re your browsing history etc. and to do this uses your bandwidth ! so you are paying to give them your information.

It does this automatically from basic setup, so most don't have a clue its happening in the background.

There are ways to stop this, but not using win now I haven't followed it or needed to, lots of info on the net though.

I never thought I would say this but I love my macbook/Ipad/Iphone, but yes expensive, but I'm a firm believer you get what you pay for.

Its not quite a backtrack. Its just an extra popup to tell you what will happen and an extra chance to say no. Nothing else has changed and Microsoft are still out to upgrade as many connected devices as they can. The upgrade will still be recommended and you'll still have to keep rejecting it ad infinitum.

I have a an iMac running El Capitan OS and use a program 'Parallels' which enables me to also run Windows 10 at the same time on a 'virtual machine' but effectively it is the same iMac machine. I have the best of both worlds where I can slip into Windows comfy and familiar progs whenever I like and don't have to purchase new Mac versions of Microsoft favourites. I run the heavy stuff, videos etc. held on a USB connected 1 TB hard drive which can be switched to either operating system and when switched off nothing clogs up the systems.

A simile I suppose would be 'Like a dog with 2 d****'

• Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Windows10. WARNING !!!