If you are reasonably computer savvy, it is possible to remove the irritating popup that tries to get you to install Win 10.

It is update KB3035583 and you can un-install it by going to:
Control Panel
Programs
Programs and Features
Installed Updates

Just make sure that you don't re-install it the next time you do a Microsoft Update (i.e. review the updates before agreeing to install them).

This whole thing makes a mockery of the idea that Automatic Updates are the best thing for your computer.

What Microsoft 'recommends' might well be good for them, but not necessarily for you !

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Catfan, with all due respects, read the article, you'll see where I'm coming from. The popup they keep sending has been "fixed" so when you click on the X, the normal way of refusing anything, MS Win1

I see Microsoft being sued over this issue, a Lawyer could retire after suing a case like this, I'd say this stupidity, or rather greed, could well end up with Microsoft going bankrupt. All that is ne

With all new versions of Widows it's best to let the dust settle before upgrading. If your PC still works most likely many of your programs won't.

http://pxc-coding.com/portfolio/donotspy10/

DoNotSpy10 is the world’s first antispy tool for Windows 10. Its straight-forward user interface allows you to manage
how Windows 10 respects their privacy. Microsoft introduces many new “diagnostic” features with Windows 10. These services help Microsoft collect
usage data and thus to provide a better service. However, collecting and sharing your data with one of the world’s leading technology companies
puts your privacy at risk. There are services which are able to record your keyboard input, your speech and any other actions of the user. Others share
your WiFi credentials with your contact or connect you to networks shared by your contacts.
DoNotSpy10 provides you with the opportunity to easily manage what you want to share and what not. While many of the settings represent what
you can configure using the Settings and various other apps, there are also tweaks that are not easily accessible through the apps Windows provides.
DoNotSpy10 combines them all in one application – it’s time to protect your privacy
  • 2 weeks later...

I also have windows 12 installed through the "back door" pressed the x and away it went all on its own. I only have one problem I have a problem downloading pictures from my camera but I contacted a computer engineer and my son will call in the morning. Come in useful sometime and will only cost a coffee and bacon sandwich.

• Upvote 2

Do not like windows 10 (caftan please note) even with help from my son regarding the uploading of pictures prefer the old version. Hopefully my "engineer" will be able to return me back, don't mind progress but only if it makes things easier.

Yes, and all the peripherals worked too, Michael. Now there's no perishing drivers available for them. So you might as well buy new ink guzzling printers / scanners etc. They're all making money out of us.

Re #34

Yes, Windows XP was a superb OS - much to the chagrin of Microsoft who realised that most people didn't want to 'upgrade' from it to their next MS offering (Vista) because everything was working great and their new stuff was full of problems and offered nothing new.

So they set about crippling XP to try and force people to move and get back to the 'churn' of:

a new computer, new software, new peripherals, buy, buy, buy.......

Re #27

'Trusted company' ?

There is a saying in the IT world:

'Microsoft - talk like hippies, act like Sicilians'

If you don't automatically buy their products, then you must be forced to. And God help anyone who makes a rival product !

• Upvote 1

Don't blame M$ if your peripherals don't work with a new o/s, they had plenty of time to write updated drivers, but no, they want you to buy new printers, scanners etc instead !

I wonder why ? :jumping:

HP seem bad for this. Can't speak about the others. We had good software with the scanner and printer that worked well with XP but they never updated it for Win 7. I worked around it with Linux. It should have been easy for a skilled programmer to have tweaked that software, but no.

The whole situation with Microsoft is that they have had the monopoly for too long and resent any encroachment on it.

They are entirely market-driven because the money markets expect them to bring out a new operating system every 5 years which boosts their profits and re-starts the whole 'churn' thing that I mentioned earlier.

PC manufacturers promote their new machines with the new OS bundled on them. Software manufacturers force you to buy the new version of the utility that you've been perfectly happy with until now, and YES the manufacturers of scanners, printers and other peripherals want you to buy new ones instead of writing drivers to make them work on the new OS (which they could very easily do).

But what happens when they bring out a turkey like Windows 8 ?

Manufacturers end up with warehouses full of machines that nobody wants and the whole re-buying thing doesn't get going because folks don't want to move.

Take XP.

Win XP SP3 worked great. So, to try and force everyone to drop it, Microsoft crippled Internet Explorer.

They warned us that we'd have to get the new version of IE - but there isn't a new version for XP.

So, therefore we'd have to get the new OS and more than likely, a new computer.

(Most people just used Firefox or Chrome instead).

Now if they made something that was really great, with new features and better ways of doing things that were laborious before, then they wouldn't have to resort to the kind of shenanigans that we've been discussing here, but no, they want everyone to do things their way - and if what they deliver isn't something that we're really keen to get, then we must be forced!

I don't doubt that Win 10 is good, but is it worth all hoops that they want you to jump through?

Even giving it away hasn't seen it taken up by everyone.

It's certainly a very intrusive system which doesn't much respect your privacy, and there are still lots of devices that don't have Win 10 drivers available.

I am certain that Microsoft want us all to be on the end of their hook in future and that their ultimate aim is to 'rent' out their OS which will then live in the 'cloud' (ref. Adobe) but they are going to have to do better than just plain 'coercion' if they want our 'hard-earned' in future.

I can only report my own experience, which is that my HP printer dates from 2001 and was initially used with Windows ME (remember that??).

Since then I have successively upgraded to using Windows Vista, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and recently Windows 10 and had no problem at all with the printer working.

My Canon scanner dates from 2007 and has also worked successively with Windows 8, 8.1 and now 10 with no problems.

Maybe just lucky!

• Upvote 1

Re. #40

Yes. I think so.

I have a really good quality Acer scanner.

It was quite expensive when I bought it and it worked great on XP, but Win 7 onwards it refused to work and Acer never made any more drivers for it.

I guess they assumed that people would just re-buy another scanner.

However I found a programme called VueScan that got it working on Win 7.

Then a friend of mine alerted me to a forum where some guy had written a driver to get it working on Win 7 AND 8.

It still works great now!

How ridiculous it would have been to have had to have thrown it away. (Not very 'green' either).

I'm not sure that it will work on Win 10 though.

I'm certain a lot of people will be mightily pissed off to find that after waiting an hour and a half for their computer to install Win 10 (even though they hadn't asked for it) their printer or scanner will no longer operate.

That may be, Mick but why sneakily force it onto unsuspecting folks rather than being upfront about it? At the minimum they have wasted hours of your time. Sounds like a glorified virus.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got rid of windows 10 - son put computer back and one very happy silver surfer LOL. He said that if you didn't revert back before having 10 installed after 8 weeks you are stuck with it, also read that a woman in America sued windows for installing without her acceptance messed up her computer and won.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 years later...

I have been using Win 10 and have had absolutely no problems but yesterday Microsoft sent me an e-mail saying they were introducing Windows 11 early next year and included an app to check if your computer would be able to accept the upgrade to Win11.

I have 2 laptops, a three year old Acer with an AMD A4 chipset and a similar age HP with an Intel I5 chipset and guess what? The app said the neither could run Win11. Are the barstewards having a lend of us or are they going to upgrade chip compatibility? If they don't then for me it will bye bye bye Microsoft.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Windows10. WARNING !!!

Well I am looking at buying a new computer in the not too distant future. What I buy may well have Intel i5 processor. Every new computer from a decent manufacturer that has Windows 10 installed comes with a free upgrade to Windoze 11 when it becomes available. You will still be able to use Windoze 10 in any event.

I am into computers and have used Linux for a good few years now but I do have a windows 10 machine which rarely sees the light of day. There has been a lot of discussion on computer forums etc about the system requirements for Windows 11 which effectively render many machines of fairly recent manufacture unable to run it. Microsoft say that Windows 10 will be supported until October 2025. For simple browsing and email I use an iPad which is about 90% of the time, maybe more. So there’s no rush to do anything just yet as you have a few years left. 

11 minutes ago, The Pianoman said:

Well I am looking at buying a new computer in the not too distant future. What I buy may well have Intel i5 processor. Every new computer from a decent manufacturer that has Windows 10 installed comes with a free upgrade to Windoze 11 when it becomes available. You will still be able to use Windoze 10 in any event.

Not all i5’s will support windows 11 so don’t assume you’ll be okay. Get a cast iron written declaration it’s upgradable to 11.

This PC is running Win 7, except that after a blue Screen of Death event a couple of years ago, I lost Microsoft Word etc..and also Microsoft have basically dumped Win Media Player etc..which I used a lot... :angry2: My machine is 32bit with i5 processors.

I deliberately went for Win 7 because I didn't want to get into the supposedly 'better' options at the time.  I couldn't see much wrong with XP...

Anyroad up, I was thinking of buying a new PC earlier in the year, but was warned off by a much more knowlegeable pal.  His advice was to wait for Win 11, but also to wait for the processor shortages etc, caused by Covid, to be resolved.  His view was that in the absence of the newer stuff, the major retailers are selling effectively 'end of line' old stuff on a 'Mutton Dressed as Lamb' basis.

Since I also want to continue (or resume) using my PC for creating, copying and burning music CDs, I was advised to go to one of the companies which will basically build you a PC to your required specs, rather than getting some package from Curry's/Dixons.  All the 'big boys' are working on the assumption that nobody uses CD, or any other sort of solid state drive anymore and we are all happily streaming media.  Well I'm not..

I'll give my chum a call and see what his current view is.

Dare I say you Windows people could switch to a Mac. There are programs to transfer your data. All your troubles will be over and you’d wish you had done it years ago! I’ve had involvement with computers since 1962 when there were hugh mainframe reel to reel machines. I first used a Mac in 1984 and I have dabbled with Microsoft from time to time but Mac has always been my first choice.