• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If it works I am starting this thread with a photo of probably class 4A1 (1964), a good many of the class stayed on for an extra year to take the new CSE exams. How many can you name?

I recognize some of the faces no names though, as carni says we were working by then. I must say they did look very smart things must have changed after we left carni.

Photo kindly given by Bazzer, first from the left on the back row.

Form4G11963_zpsb604b987.jpg

This is 4G1, 1962/3. I had already been at work a year when the other photo was taken. I have had a good look but don't recognize any faces. Great to see the picture though, I would like to see if any one can put some names to faces. I'm sure some of the other Gedling Schoolites will help when they come on. By the way I am 4th from the left, front row. The only one showing my knees! Told you I was a rebel dint I.

Welcome to Nottstalgia Paradiddle.

• Upvote 3

I recognize some of the faces no names though, as carni says we were working by then.

I must say they did look very smart things must have changed after we left carni.

• Upvote 2

Being as it was probably our last photo, it looks as though we were given the option of uniform or smart casuals. I can remember that jumper as if it was yesterday.

I must say they do look smart in the uniform, but I doubt if I would have said that at the time.

• Upvote 2

Thank you for your welcome carni. I can name nearly everyone on the opening photo but only Mrs Lenunier on Bazzer's photo. Might recognise some names but the oldest year in the school didn't really communicate with the lower years!

• Upvote 1

I remember that feeling as well. I had a sister in the year above me and a brother in the year below and we didn't mix at all at school. you are right there wasn't much communication between the years. I don't think it was considered cool to fraternise with the years below you. Strange how we looked up to the older pupils as if they were something special. I can remember copying the way the older girls walked and dressed, easily impressed was I. :biggrin:

Welcome Paradiddle. Wow ! Thanks for posting the photo.

Difficult to view for me on my phone but I think it's me 2nd from right , top row , standing next to Pete Henson . Far left , top row Ian Hughes , next to him Dave Green ? John Frudd and Paul Hicking also on top row .Mick Shelton 2nd left middle row ? We all look so young ! Sure its 4th year ?

This is dreadful because I am struggling with other names !

Pauline Lawrence, girl to furthest right, middle row ? Mary Strong 2nd left front row .? Carol Detheridge ?

Front row 5th from left Linda Slade ? Pat Heverin 5th

from right front row ? Dianne Humphries ,4th from right front row . Tall girl in the middle row Bridget Thompson ?

David, glad you liked the photo. With Mr Wilson being our form teacher I think it's fourth year but could be wrong! Have one or two more interesting photo's and memorabilia from the mid 60's which I know will interest you. Watch this space!

• Upvote 1

Have had a further look at the pic ,can I see Mick Harold ? The lad next to him with the quiff Mick Savage ?

Look forward to more photos but it has appeared at the wrong time as I am on my travels and not always where there is wi-fi connection . So may be a delay in my replies but will catch up !

A few more names come to light .

Angela Sully bottom left . Andy Marshall next to me .Peter Dickens next to Mr Wilson ? Christine Rowell 6th from right at front . Susan Huckle front right with specs ?

Well, some, DavidW in particular have better memories than me ! I was in 4A1 in 63, so those in the photo by paradiddle, must have been 3rd year then, but I don't recognise any of them. Only the teacher

In Bazz's original photo posted again by carni, I only recognise one by name, keith starting sitting behind you carni. But know the faces of many.

Time to fill in the team sheet for the photo in post #1.  With help from DAVIDW's grey matter, have now put names to most of the faces so hoping other Nottsalgians may be able to fill in the blanks - a full house would be great!

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Upvote 1

Do any of you know if Paul Hicking had an older sister called Marguerite - she used to be one of my best friends, in fact she was my bridesmaid in 1967. They lived in Gedling

Yes, she was always called Marguerite, but I think she transferred to C le W when she was 13. She had a much younger sister called Penny as well. They lived up the hill fairly near to the church

Excellent !

David Griffiths (in the light jacket) must admit I had forgotten about him . Nice lad .

I did have email contact with Paul Hicking many years ago though can't remember where he lived , for some reason, thought he lived the far side of Burton Joyce . When I had contact he was working in the middle-east.

Small amendment ....think it was Sheila Hatherleigh ( not Hatherway).

Girl 3rd from left , front row, could it have been Marilyn Marks ? Though I always remember her having a

pony tail .

I worked on BT before I emigrated and we had a Paul hicking there too, he went to Gedling school,so can only assume it may be him.

I know when BT got privatised lots of the guys moved into different areas of telecoms but know no more, he lived down Cavendish road somewhere, after he got married.

Crikey ,it's 15 years since I had email contact with Paul Hicking and at that time he was working in the oil fields in Iran !!

From the email he mentioned John McNichol , so that must be the "John Nichol" above .

He also mentioned a Sally Lovatt , wonder if she is one of the unknowns ?

• 3 weeks later...

Remembering names and faces from over 50yrs ago is interesting to say the least. The memory sometimes just needs a jog so here is a speech day programme from 1966 which refers to the previous year when the first 5th formers tackled their CSE's.

A lot of the school paperwork was produced on a printing press which I think was in the metalwork shop?

1966SD_zpscv7feuq3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks for posting . I thought it was the same that I posted a while ago but mine was from 1964 . Certainly brings back a few names I had forgotten about .

Mine was a few pages in on this thread .

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4897&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1