Yes apparently he has recently been seen about by an ex-classmate of ours

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If it works I am starting this thread with a photo of probably class 4A1 (1964), a good many of the class stayed on for an extra year to take the new CSE exams. How many can you name?

I recognize some of the faces no names though, as carni says we were working by then. I must say they did look very smart things must have changed after we left carni.

Bubblewrap, sadly Graham Fryer (2005) and John Frudd (2015), no longer with us. They were still in Nottingham so spotted anouncements in The Post. Those that have moved away and the girls who have married are going to be harder to spot! I think Christine Capel who was school caretaker Tommy Capel's daughter and was younger than us, also left us quite some time ago.

Hopefully most of us are still alive and kicking!

• Upvote 1

Oh dear so sorry to read of John Frudd's passing and also Graham Fryer .

Our nickname at school for John was "Fudge" . The last time I would have seen him was in the late 70s , as we lived next door to his parents on Norman Rd off Porchester , for a short while .

I met Michael Morris in the mid 1980s on Derby railway station & as I remember he was working at Toton diesel depot & living in Attenborough.

P.S. I have not liven in Nottingham since December 1967.

P.P. S. And did hear that John Saywell became a Dental technician(made false teeth)

Some additional names provided by a friend for the photo on previous page .

Barbara Cobb middle row 4th from right .

Elizabeth Gronnert middle 5th from right

Francis Burns between Bridget Thomson and Sheila H.

Pauline Campbell to the left of Sheila Hatherley .

Here's another photo from 1964 with some of the 'faces' from post #1

Stratford_zpsfdzmytox.jpg

It includes Bridget Thompson, Carol Detheridge and I think on the right of Carol is John Spears (Spud) and maybe Mick Newall.

I'm not sure which class the two older ladies are from?

• Upvote 1

Great photo ! I remember going on the trip and remember Bridget and Carol....good looking girls !

Re your previous post , can't remember a Marilyn Wright .

Some names that come to mind (but not saying its any of those above) .....Judith Wales , Michael Harrold . Then there was Pat Gascoigne who died whilst at school but did she take ill before the 4th year ?

• 2 weeks later...

Goodness a blast from the past! I have printed the copy of the 1966 Speech Day programme as my husband Ian Keyworth is mentioned more then once! Kevin Hind came to our wedding .I was in 1A1 and onwards from 1961 to 1966.

The photo from Stratford upon Avon must have been for the top two years as Bridget Thompson and Carol Detheridge were the year above me, but John Spiers (Spud) was in my year. We had to stop the bus on the way home as some of the lads had been drinking and were sick! The lad 1st on the left I know but can't think of his name. I'll ask Ian.

I remember quite a few of the older girls as they sang in the special choir.

Chris Capel was a good friend. Sadly she died of cancer at the age of 40, a few of her old school friends attended the funeral.

• Upvote 1

The lad first left on the Stratford photo may be John Thompson? Notice some of the lads with cuban heels on their shoes/boots. I remember when knee high boots came into fashion. Maud took me aside and told me in no uncertain terms that as my boots had an inch heel they weren't allowed. Another case of "I'm surprised at you Angela, such a nice girl!" He he

Angela, nice of you to join in. Talking of Cuban heels, it was not easy getting your Mum to buy fashionable school wear in the 60's but I do remember the boys wearing metallic looking rain coats available in either blue or brown. The synthetic material was not very good, was not very rainproof and ripped easily - I was the proud owner of a blue one!

Angela, standards must have gone to pot from the time of the photo in post #1. I don't think you'd be allowed in the line up with knee length tartan socks - I bet even the boys were wearing white socks, apart from David Griffiths that is who obviously wasn't told to wear his school blazer!!

Andy, would that be with long trousers or shorts! I was into the third year before my knees were deprived of sunlight - up until then I would no doubt have been wearing standard grey, knee length socks, after then who knows!! How did you manage to keep your socks up?

Both I started off in 1960 in shorts(god forbid) but progressed to grey trousers half way through that term(I think) I kept the socks up with elastic.

also black shoes no trainers in those days.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I wonder if any of the Gedling boys remember the school visit to the colliery?  We were all kitted out with helmets complete with miners lamps and went down the mine shaft, onto a man-rider taking us to a coal face.  A bit spooky but exciting none the less.  Back up top, after a wash and a scrub up, we were taken to the canteen for a meal!

Here is a picture of some surface workers circa 1965, note the gantry and bucket on the spoil heap.  Instead of concentrating on learning we were easily distracted,  guessing where and when the bucket would tip.

1965_GCY.jpg

The spoil tip is now being flattened in readiness for new housing.

• Like 1