Anyone want a washing machine - free - works fine. PM me by Wednesday if interested, otherwise scrapman takes it. Cannot deliver.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a memory, Benjamin 1945! Talking of Sunlight soap, my mother had a miscarriage in 1953 and was rushed off to Peel Street Women's Hospital in the early hours of the morning. She never forgot the

Dolly tubs and ponches! Brings back childhood memories. Monday washday, Sunlight soap, the kitchen copper boiling away and my mother doing the washing. Gosh, did she love that old mangle? In later yea

benjamin, I had to smile at the way you reel off the prices of all the items for sale at Marsdens. That was 56 years ago, how can you remember that? I didn't know you worked at Marsdens, you should've

Chulla, you dint say owt about replacing t'washer, so I assume Linda will be tekking wash dahn t'Trent and bashing it on a rock

• Upvote 3

Nahh can't be, they are worth big bucks now to collectors.

Dolly tubs and ponches! Brings back childhood memories. Monday washday, Sunlight soap, the kitchen copper boiling away and my mother doing the washing. Gosh, did she love that old mangle? In later years, she was forever bemoaning the loss of the copper, mangle and dollytub. No washing machine in existence could produce anything to rival the old way of doing things.

When my older sister was born in 1950, terry nappies were...like most other things... still rationed. No more than a dozen were permitted. Not that mum was any good at nappies. When she picked her babies up, they usually fell off! Dad was much more clued up. However, mum took a pride in the whiteness of her nappies, which must never be ironed. That way lay the dreaded nappy rash which we never had.

I remember the blue bags, Robin starch and Oxydol packets. It took ages and then there was all the ironing to do. I'd fetch my toy ironing board and iron, standing alongside mum as she pressed the creases out of everything, handing me the odd hanky to run my toy iron over. Happy days!

• Upvote 8

The old washing-machine is a Servis 6000. We bought it in March 1990. In its 26 years it has had a new motor (in 2004) and last year I put a new door seal on. Never been any other trouble, but Mrs C thinks she is now pushing her luck. Currys had a Meile model left with a 250 pound discount, so we have now got that - is undertaking is first test run as I type.

No doubt the Servis has been a great machine and has certainly paid for itself. It might well be a collector's item because no washing-machines are made in this country now.

• Upvote 1

Dolly tubs and ponches! Brings back childhood memories. Monday washday, Sunlight soap, the kitchen copper boiling away and my mother doing the washing. Gosh, did she love that old mangle? In later years, she was forever bemoaning the loss of the copper, mangle and dollytub. No washing machine in existence could produce anything to rival the old way of doing things.

When my older sister was born in 1950, terry nappies were...like most other things... still rationed. No more than a dozen were permitted. Not that mum was any good at nappies. When she picked her babies up, they usually fell off! Dad was much more clued up. However, mum took a pride in the whiteness of her nappies, which must never be ironed. That way lay the dreaded nappy rash which we never had.

I remember the blue bags, Robin starch and Oxydol packets. It took ages and then there was all the ironing to do. I'd fetch my toy ironing board and iron, standing alongside mum as she pressed the creases out of everything, handing me the odd hanky to run my toy iron over. Happy days!

Yes good post Jill,mangle.copper,dolly tub what memories,........Sunlight soap twin pack 1/3,Robin starch several sizes from 1/- to 2/6,Oxydol E1 1/- E3 size 2/11, and Nobs of blue 6d,........we sold em em all at Marsdens circa 1960.......i used to work there you know............lol.

• Upvote 4

Thanks Michael,.......not saying all the prices are spot on,but i really do remember roughly,........when i started at Marsdens i loved the job so much,i recall names of lots of managers and other staff as well,..........i think when you are 15 and happy with the world it comes back easily,like i can name all (99%) of my schoolmates,............anyway Marsdens did a coffee and chicory in 2oz cans........2/6.............lol.

• Upvote 3

I doubt you can buy em now............but 1oz cans were 1/6 and 2oz ones 2/10,.......Tea was more popular back then Brooke Bond Divi 1/6 Qtr,.Typhoo 1/11,Hornimans divi 1/9 and Lyons Quick Brew 2/-.............

What a memory, Benjamin 1945!

Talking of Sunlight soap, my mother had a miscarriage in 1953 and was rushed off to Peel Street Women's Hospital in the early hours of the morning. She never forgot the way in which she was barked at by the snotty female obstetrician for getting her out of bed at some unsociable hour to carry out the required surgical procedure. She never forgot, either, the callous way in which a young, unmarried woman who had dared to carry out a do it yourself termination was left to writhe around in agony, berated by a starchy ward sister whilst mum was given the best of attention!

Returning home after a few days, mum went into meltdown when she spotted my 3 year sister sporting a sore, red, blotchy face. My father, who had been left to care for his young daughter, had dutifully washed her face with Sunlight soap instead of the Pears glycerine bar mum always used for her children. Well, he didn't know!

I can see it now, Sunlight soap twinpack on the bottom shelf of the pantry, along with brillo pads and Brasso.

You're right, Catfan. In those days,mums and housewives stayed at home with their children, played silly games with them, took them out in the afternoons, included them in the household chores and talked to them. Result: happy, secure, loved children who would grow up in the knowledge that they were wanted and loved more than words can say. No holidays in Disneyland, designer clothes or second car in the drive, just happiness, security and the unshakeable conviction that you were the most important consideration in your parents lives. No amount of money can buy such a gift!

• Upvote 8

There was a whole ethos of snobbery around washdays when I was a child. For instance, the moral standards of a family would be judged on how clean their washing was and the fashion in which it was pegged out! Woe betide anyone who had the temerity to wash on a Good Friday or New Year's Day! That was an indication of a dubious character indeed! Much the same went for the state of people's doorsteps.

If it was a widower, left to do his own washing after the demise of his wife, there would be expressions of sympathy. "Ah, look at the way he's pegged that shirt out!" Or "Those towels aren't fit to wipe the floor with!"

Then, in winter, there would be the aroma of washing arrayed on the wooden clothes horse in front of the coal fire. That's the same clothes horse we used in the summer as a tent frame in the garden with a blanket over it during the long, hot carefree school holidays. Happy memories!

• Upvote 3

Ah yes, great memories, Jill. But what's that got to do with me getting rid of our old washing machine? :laugh:

A bathtub with a built in back scratcher and soap holder......LOL

• Upvote 1

Well, I don't know!!! Can't give it away. Even pigmies in the Amazonian jungle would be glad of it, to wash their cod-pieces in it.

From what I read on here from time to time, Chulla. The thing to do is put it at the end of the driveway with a sign on it that says "fifty pounds or best offer." It will be gone by morning. :-)

• Upvote 2