Yes, even Morgan have Ford and BMW engines. Nothing is wholly British anymore. I look at my own British made Jaguar and see the ‘country of origin’ labels stuck on the various components. France, Czechoslovakia and many others and Jaguar/Landrover are owned by Tata, an Indian company. Their new all electric I-Pace is made in Austria. There’s nothing ‘British to the core’ these days. We live in a world economy and that really is what makes the world go round. We can’t be insular anymore. We’re not a superpower but we are still a significant player. It’s still best to be ‘British’. ;)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a memory, Benjamin 1945! Talking of Sunlight soap, my mother had a miscarriage in 1953 and was rushed off to Peel Street Women's Hospital in the early hours of the morning. She never forgot the

Dolly tubs and ponches! Brings back childhood memories. Monday washday, Sunlight soap, the kitchen copper boiling away and my mother doing the washing. Gosh, did she love that old mangle? In later yea

benjamin, I had to smile at the way you reel off the prices of all the items for sale at Marsdens. That was 56 years ago, how can you remember that? I didn't know you worked at Marsdens, you should've

I doubt if Britain could make candles without the wick or the wax or both being imported!!

• Like 1

We could also say 'what goes around comes around'. Some of the big U S companies that bought out or owned the British car companies are hitting hard times themselves.  Eg.  General Motors got a big bailout of public money a few years ago.  Chrysler always seems to be on the verge of bankruptcy.  In fact the only one seeming to do well is Ford.  The F150 series pickup has always been a good reliable truck and their Explorer SUV has been a good seller.  We bought one a year or so ago and have been happy with it.  Haven't put many miles on it actually.  The Asian car makers seem to be beating us now.  Honda, Kia, etc.. Don't know how good they are but I guess the price is right.

A lot of engines these days are reconditioned/reworked by Caterpillar,an American earth moving equipment manufacturers

Rog

2 hours ago, loppylugs said:

We could also say 'what goes around comes around'. Some of the big U S companies that bought out or owned the British car companies are hitting hard times themselves.  Eg.  General Motors got a big bailout of public money a few years ago.  Chrysler always seems to be on the verge of bankruptcy.  In fact the only one seeming to do well is Ford.  The F150 series pickup has always been a good reliable truck and their Explorer SUV has been a good seller.  We bought one a year or so ago and have been happy with it.  Haven't put many miles on it actually.  The Asian car makers seem to be beating us now.  Honda, Kia, etc.. Don't know how good they are but I guess the price is right.

Far Eastern companies seem to have a strategy that works.  They sell good quality inexpensive products at the bottom end of the market, thus gettng the volume sales.  then they introduce more 'high end' stuff.  Honda did this with bikes, then cars.  Kia started out with some cheap and cheerful cars and now compete with the 'big boys'.

My Honda Civic is 14 years old.  Everything still works, it still looks good etc.  Very nicely built car.

• Like 3

Somebody said that since the power plant melt down seven years ago, Japanese cars even glow in the dark.  Makes 'em easier to find in a dark parking lot.  How's that for innovation?  :biggrin:

• Like 1

My daughter-in-law’s got one of those, plus the matching tumble dryer, more expensive than the Hotpoints I’ve always favoured but it seems money’s no object to them, she’s got a hairdryer that cost £300, my recent one was £25 I think!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

My daughter-in-law’s got one of those, plus the matching tumble dryer, more expensive than the Hotpoints I’ve always favoured but it seems money’s no object to them, she’s got a hairdryer that cost £300, my recent one was £25 I think!

Money’s no object to me when my wife is accepting this as her birthday present!  smile2

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Just to complete our washing machine saga we’ve just bought a Samsung. Purely by chance, when we got home, my wife found out it was a “Which Best Buy”. Here’s hoping!

No mate, she's bought a telly by mistake !  smile2

• Like 1

Out of curiosity I Googled the Hoover Keymatic.  I was surprised to find that they have become almost a cult classic.  At least one guy was still using one at nearly 54 years old.  (The machine I mean). Parts became pretty much impossible to get after 1980.  They were 99 Guinnies (spelling). new.They thought if they said over £100 folks wouldn't buy them.  So if you've got an old one rusting in the garage it might be worth something for parts.

• 1 year later...