A run out on the Co-op van

Really enjoyed watching the film even though I don't really know that area. Sobering thought, though - even the youngest child on the film would now be in their mid eighties!

I watched some of the other old films on the site, like Daybrook laundry, and another couple in Leicester and Cambridge. Very interesting.....

We have some cine film from 1967 - 1980 .... mainly us and our own children, but in places like Woodthorpe, Ingoldmells, Skeg and Derbyshire. Although it is now on a DVD I would have no idea how to put it - or parts of it - on here or anywhere else. (And our children might see it as an invasion of their privacy anyway!)

When we moved to Bramcote in the late 60's there was a solitary Co-Op store on Sandringham Drive,

It seemed a curious place to have one - in the middle of a housing estate, all on it's own.

But apparently this was because there had been a Co-Op van on this route when the estate was being built, and they'd made a commitment to continue supplying groceries. So a space was left for a store. (They also left a space opposite for a pub).

It didn't last too long and was replaced by a Hi-Fi store (!) which also didn't last long either before the space was used for more housing.

The patch of ground opposite was vacant for years as locals resisted Hardy Hansons ambitions for a pub, but eventually they built 'The Rose Grower'. That closed in 2008.

I think it's now the site for a care home.

Absolutely brilliant little film,..........worked in some of them Coops..........Station st (met 1st wife there) Castle Donnington,looks like same site,East Leake and Kegworth............

Great now/then picture..............even the Window cleaners wore Ties............but what is the Lady in the door -way waiting for ............lol.

• Upvote 1

Funny story about the Castle Donnington Coops of which there are two,one is/was run by the Midlands Coop the other is part of Coop Group Manchester,.....we sent two Store Detectives for a full day to work in the Coop group store (the one in the picture)........you guessed it both S.D.s worked in the wrong store,............ended up having a laugh over it,and Midland Coop paid for the day........and they did catch 4 lifters............