A few random photos -1

In no particular order...

A trolleybus outside Griffin & Spalding

7MSRgTQ.jpg

The Trip to Jerusalem in the early 20th century

mMN722N.jpg

And a building on Glasshouse Street which used to be visible from Vic Station, and has survived.

klIxerR.jpg?1

• Upvote 4

I could have been on that bus no 40 going home from work, don't suppose you know what year it was cliff? Wonder full photos Cliff

The Mk 2 Zephyr at the side of the bus registered FAL would be a 1960 registration. I suppose at a pinch it could be a 1959 reg. I had 100E Anglia reg. ETV which was 1959 and my Father had a Mk 2 Zephyr which was KTV and that was a 1961. It looks like a new car to me in that picture. Oh and it WAS NOT supplied by Hooleys.

#1. The bottom (colour) picture. I feel sure that the square-looking building down the side-street with the tall windows is where No.412 Squadron Air Training Corps used to hold their meetings - parades held in a car park to the left of the picture. We moved there from Haywood and Seely Schools on Perry Road, Sherwood.

• Like 1
On 01/06/2016 at 8:14 AM, Chulla said:

#1. The bottom (colour) picture. I feel sure that the square-looking building down the side-street with the tall windows is where No.412 Squadron Air Training Corps used to hold their meetings - parades held in a car park to the left of the picture. We moved there from Haywood and Seely Schools on Perry Road, Sherwood.

It's Howard Street, and looks like this from the other end.

Hk9ZJ70.jpg

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

It was the late Pete, but I've seen the photo in various places around the net. I don't know its origins.

uf5JMex.jpg

And this is the reverse angle. They were sitting on the wall here; the Old Dog & Partridge is still there on Parliament Street.

CV8gO82.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Not a fish dock as such, certainly not in the mid 50's - mid 60's, as the fish trains only stopped for water occasionally, not to unload.

However, in earlier days, there could have been fish dropped off.  The north west short sidings near the turntable were in my day, crammed full of parcels stock, or engineering vehicles, as were the south east ones. I never remember seeing any cattle docks either.

Still rummaging through countless books though. You never know !

Loco picture. 

I spy, behind the tender, the covered stairway which led up to the quirky little entrance on Parliament street.

Also the larger windows below the bit of skyline in the top left corner is the top of "R Cripps" showroom building. Purveyor of motor cars from whom my dad bought his Hillman Californian in 1955.

(Argos was the last occupant of that building).

17 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

Loco picture. ....... the larger windows below the bit of skyline in the top left corner is the top of "R Cripps" showroom building. Purveyor of motor cars from whom my dad bought his Hillman Californian in 1955.   (Argos was the last occupant of that building).

If it's Cripps you want......

P1KigCj.jpg

Re the fish dock.... Good pic, but as I said, I doubt it was used as such in the 50's & 60's. Maybe for parcel use in those days. 

I can't even recollect a fishy odour, except when a southbound train was stopped by by signals of for water.

• 3 weeks later...

Re the supposed 'Fish Dock'. I've feverishly searched relevant books for this, but as yet have uncovered nothing, other than a reference to fish vans being examined or dropped off at various locations on their journey to the south, one of those being Nottingham Vic. 

This was in 'The Great Central in LNER Days' vol 1. From the mid 50's to mid 62, I can never recall vans being detached.

However, the slope in the picture is referred to as leading to the horse dock. This of course was when the high and mighty alighted their coaches  to join the train. In the majority of books I've seen, this area was used for parcels and newspaper traffic. 

If there ever was a Fish Dock, surely it would have been situated on the east side of the station in order to cater for the southbound traffic. 

Anyway, any Vic experts out there, please inform us, as I was particularly interested in the Fast Fish trains, due to my late good friend Rob237 being an absolute hive of knowledge on this subject. 

Sadly, after many pints and Johnny Walkers, we never got round to discussing such details.

Any clearer pic ? Maybe a plan !