Scientists have established that the major cause of global warming is people putting their central heating on in June.

I didn't switch it on. It comes on automatically if it's cold. Normally it wouldn't switch on on June 1st. It's gone off now! My insulation should prevent any of my internal heat contributing to global warming. I do, however, appreciate the irony of your remark. :biggrin:

Gas fire full on since 9.30. It's more like November. Global Warming my a**e !

• Upvote 1

Global warming was around at various times in the past thousands of years according to scientists.

Global warming, as FLY said my ar$e, just another idea for a new tax.

• Upvote 3

There's a major El Nino in the Pacific, expect weird weather conditions until it abates. It affects weather world wide, nothing new, El Nino's have been known about for centuries by native fisherman off the west coast of South America. They create "The Doldrums" known bu ocean explorers for a few hundred years.

Makes for wet times this side of the pond as you're no doubt seeing on the news..Flooding in Texas etc.

• Upvote 1

Read somewhere (new scientist, scientific American, I love science website or somewhere else) that plant life growth has gone into overdrive since the atmospheric CO2 levels have risen. They say because of this that CO2 levels could start coming down & even overshoot causing global cooling & a new ice age. The law of unforeseen consesquences comes to mind...

Wish somebody would tell my veggies that, they are not doing great this year, they have not done well over the last several years, and I have been fertilizing etc. 90 degree heat isn't helping much either. I'm thinking of trying the Biblical practice of letting it lie fallow once every seven years. Take a year off.

The so called experts conjour up all manner of excuses, but it's just the natural evolution of an ever changing world.

Mother Nature will sort it out in her own time.

• Upvote 2

Just been reading in New Scientist that "A quantum fluctuation could at any moment conjure up a bubble of pure vacuum. In that case the universe would eat itself from the inside out at the speed of light - faster than we would ever know." Ooer, that would bugger things up big time wouldn't it?

I'm not sure too many people so far have understood what "global warming" even is. For example, "global warming" doesn't mean it will never be cold anymore. And it being hot or cold on a particular day isn't especially relevant either. Even if the world had "warmed" to the levels scientists say are bad for us there will still be snow, rain and cold.

"Global warming" is based on computer predictions, and on that note, I use our National Weather Forecasting site for planning my work during the day. All computerized. Yesterday started out 20% chance of rain. then 40%, then 10% then 100%. Up and down like a street walkers panties. How on earth can anyone accurately forecast weather in 10 years time when they cannot accurately forecast weather during ONE day?? AND that with the miracle of the latest software available...Computer forecasting is really only a small "step up" from a human forecasting.

Even Al "Bore" got it 100% wrong ten years ago when he forecast there'd be no northern polar ice cap by 2015, New York City would be under several feet of water by 20015, that we would be experiencing SUPER hurricanes and tornadoes by 2015..

There hasn't been a major hurricane in nearly ten years, in fact hardly ANY hurricanes in the last ten years, tornado seasons have been fairly quiet too, nowhere as bad as they were when we first moved to southern Missouri.

And because of low hurricane activity, Jamaica suffered from water shortages a couple of years back, Islands in the Caribbean rely on hurricanes for their water.

• Upvote 1

That's to try and confuse us, but we're not that gullible and naive. We've had it for thousands of years.

They'll come up with another new fangled fancy title in a few years no doubt.

• Upvote 1

Climate change comes four times a year around here, we just call it Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter, makes life simpler.

• Upvote 2

FWIW it seems to me that no one has been around long enough to really give a balanced view of changes in weather patterns over many years. Records of any kind have only been kept for a relatively few years. Looking at tree rings etc. is an inexact science at best. I would not try to argue that weather patterns seem to have changed to a more extreme variety than when I was a kid in England, but that does not prove much over the long haul.

Seems to this old codger that some folks and corporations are making a lot of money out of this. As they say, "Follow the money."

• Upvote 1