In the early 80s I had reason to go round Bestwood quite a lot. I was at school and there was a girl I fancied who lived up there. I'd pedal over from Mapperley so soppy was I back in them days! Anyway, whilst there I remember there was a fish and chip van that would come round. I bought some chips from it a couple of times and they were pretty good! So this gets me to wondering if there are any fish and chips vans still operating in Nottingham and, if so, where? Anyone got any info?

I've not seen one for years, especially in this country. I saw one a few years ago in Brittany that was run by two English folk.

I think there are so many fast food outlets these days that there's no requirement for them. Especially in towns and cities.

I did see one doing the rounds of several villages in the Yorkshire Dales about six years ago, but nothing in Notts.

• Upvote 1

Tom and Simon's Kitchen have a van that does Lowdham, Southwell, Farnsfield, and East Bridgford. I think they are hireable for functions at weekends. I bought from them in Southwell Co-op car park once and they were quite good.

• Upvote 1

I remember in the early '60s a mobile chippy toured Bilborough, smashing chips where a bag of chips would easily feed two & cheaper than the local chippy.

All OK until the chippy owner on Chingford Road moaned to the council & got the van stopped.

No "free enterprise" in those days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In the early 80s I had reason to go round Bestwood quite a lot. I was at school and there was a girl I fancied who lived up there. I'd pedal over from Mapperley so soppy was I back in them days! Anyway, whilst there I remember there was a fish and chip van that would come round. I bought some chips from it a couple of times and they were pretty good! So this gets me to wondering if there are any fish and chips vans still operating in Nottingham and, if so, where? Anyone got any info?

I recall a van that toured Bestwood Est. That was the time when I'd come down from Merseyside with Mrs Col and the Kids, or sometimes on my own, and stay at Mum's in Southglade. The one I recall used and extremely loud and annoying horn to signal it's presence! It was a very high pitched horn. I hated it! :)

• Upvote 1

#8 Yes I seem to recall a horn myself as well so likely the same van. The girl I was interested in lived round the corner from Southglade as well so it all fits.

Excellent! Never tried the chips myself or spoke to the trader(s), but the van always struck me as a mobile firebomb! :)

Col

#11 Yes! Only in retrospect have I considered that the girl I liked lived on a hill (and Bestwood estate has a lot of hills!) and huge friers full of fat will necessary slosh around. But I guess they must've had all this figured out. Still, if it had been me I would've stuck to flat roads and driven slow!

There was one going round Bestwood Village years ago, probably same one as went round Bestwood Estate, Mams dog would go berserk when she heard his horn as she'd always cop for a few. Yup seemed a bit dangerous: hot fat & propane, presume they had sealed fryers or somat..

• Upvote 1

Mapperlyman #11

Only three real hills on Bestwood Est proper.

Padstow Rd, which is literally round the corner from Southglade.

Eardly Road which is a little way along Andover Rd which is round the corner from Southglade.

Hove Rd, which is further along Andover.

The rest are just gentle slopes.... ;)

My money is on Padstow. Wonder who the lucky lady was?

FWIW, I went out with a girl from Mapperley for a good while back in the day.

Col

• Upvote 2

Padstow ? MM could have been.....Carol,Christine or one of two Sandra's..........lol.

• Upvote 2

Like most women she was cruel and heartless and dumped me when a better prospect came along. So I lost her and my chips from the chip van! Her name was Tracey.

• Upvote 1

There was no such things as Tracey's in my Day MM,...........So it wer'nt me that nicked her....................lol.

• Upvote 4

True, you never heard of Tracies, Kirsty's, Kylies & Bryony's. My first girlfriend was called Pauline, second Linda, who caught me kissing Wendy, then the sh*t hit the fan & I was suddenly girlfriendless for some reason..

• Upvote 2

Tracey is so 70's. It's all Skylars and Saskias and Brookes and Baileys these days. And that's just the lads...

Mine included a Barbara, a Linda, a Carol, two Karens, a Sue and a Jenny. Then I met a Holly and went upmarket a bit..

• Upvote 2

In my young teenage years i fell in love with a girl off every street on Old Bestwood,........except Hove rd which only has about 10 Houses.............lol.

• Upvote 1

I was in with a shout then Hippo girl..........even if it was only in your earlier days................lol.

• Upvote 1

We have a fish and chip van visiting our village once a week, also a fresh fish van on a different day. We also have a Chinese chippie, but they don't seem to object to the visiting van.

On a different note, MapperleyMan is considerably younger than you, benjamin, so (possibly?) his girlfriends might have been too young for you to be aware of!!!

• Upvote 3

Margie, there were exotic female names in the early 60's, I was always looking for a Marianne or a Francoise. LOL.

• Upvote 2