'Swarb' hangs up his bow.

As soon as I get my record player up and running again I shall play my Ian Campbell Folk Group LP. Dave played on that. Possibly one of his earliest recorded gigs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Swarbrick

Around 15-20 years ago, I walked into the Sunday night folk club in the upstairs room of the Eagle and Child, Billinge. I had no idea who, if anyone of note, was playing. It was a club which had swapped pubs a few times recently after quitting its origins in the now long gone Traveller's Rest in St Helens.

I barely noticed the chap who took my small entrance fee on the door as I went to stand with my back to the bar, watching and listening to a couple of local lads playing something on fiddle and concertina. I also barely noticed the chap standing next to me, until a pause between songs had him turning to me and saying "They're good aren't they?"

I looked at him and it slowly dawned.. (Very little quickly dawns with me these days..) that I was talking to British folk legend Martin Carthy. We went on to have a very interesting chat for a few minutes. He was a genuinely unpretentious and pleasant chap. Then he went up to what passed for a stage, to play and sing with the bloke on the door.. who was Dave Swarbrick.

It was a magical evening.

R.I.P. Dave. And thank you.

Col