During a rare ten minutes when there was time for a chat, my colleagues at work and I got onto the subject of our parents.

I was saddened and at times horrified to hear some of the comments they made. From being tolerated only because they provided free childcare to complete avoidance because of childhood abuse, some of their stories made me wince. It also made me realise how very lucky I am to be able to say that my experience was totally different.

At Christmas, I often overhear people moaning about having to invite a parent round to share the festivities or feeling constrained to go and visit them, perhaps for the only time in the year, as though it's some sort of chore.

So, it's wonderful to read such posts as mercury dancer's because there is someone who mirrored my own experience. I cared for both my parents in the months before they departed for pastures new and, tough as it was, consider it a privilege to have done so. After all they had done for me, to do otherwise would have been unthinkable.

So, mercury dancer, although the pain is very raw at the moment, it will pass and the memories you have will not be tinged with guilt, as so many are. I think that's worth more than any treasure you could be given.

• Upvote 7
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With deep sadness I report that my dad is not with us. Stubborn old bogger. He lived for some days after having a bad fall and suffered a severe brain haemorrhage and he is now at peace. Please, m

I had to go back to Russia quickly about three weeks ago. My wife's mother died. We could not make it back in time for her death, and my wife was hysterical in a hotel in Moscow when we found out that

During a rare ten minutes when there was time for a chat, my colleagues at work and I got onto the subject of our parents. I was saddened and at times horrified to hear some of the comments they made

Well said Jill,.......same here ref' parents.......miss them everyday............

• Upvote 3

I've missed my dad every single day for over forty years. My mother...... Neh !

Just read your post MD and it brings back so many memories of my own father, you will look back and the pain will get less but you never will forget all the happy times you had with your father.

• Upvote 1

mercurydancer, So sorry to read your post, I wish we could make this time easier for you to bear, but sadly it can't be done. Only time will ease your sadness. I hope it helps you to know that we all care about how you feel.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I know that this is a very difficult and sad time for you and your family mercurydancer. Know that you are in our thoughts and our condolences to you, your family and your mum. You will all be able to comfort each other and take special care of your mum who will need you more than ever on Thursday.

• Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Thats very sad MD.......but also very touching.......feel for you.............

• Upvote 2

My thought are with you too MD.

Very sad indeed.

Col

• Upvote 1

That is really sad for you mercurydancer, I can't begin to even comprehend how you are feeling.

I have known similar incidents where a devoted couple, such as your parents obviously were, have passed very close together.

Draw great comfort that your parents were blessed with a lfe of nearly 60 years together & all the love they shared.

We will be thinking of you in the coming days. My sincerest condolences.

• Upvote 1

My deepest sympathies.

• Upvote 1