With deep sadness I report that my dad is not with us.

Stubborn old bogger. He lived for some days after having a bad fall and suffered a severe brain haemorrhage and he is now at peace.

Please, my friends here, give him a prayer tonight and bless him peace.

As a father I could wish for nothing better. He made my childhood delightful, and my Christmases very special.I told him this today and hugged him in his final hours. I could wish for nothing more. He was a strength and a source of wisdom. A family organiser, as I am sure that you know that role within a family. He was a kind and gentle man. I love him and I will proclaim this with pride.

He was married, and lovingly, to Dorothy, and they married at St Pauls' Church in Hyson Green on Boxing Day. I was christened at that church ome years later. She was with him for a short time this afternoon. They have been together for 60 years and their love for each other has not diminished over all the decades.

Remember this, and strongly, that this family was good, honourable and principled. Both my mother and father served with the military, with the co op ( and on deeply felt principles too ) with the schools.

A good man gone.

• Upvote 16
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With deep sadness I report that my dad is not with us. Stubborn old bogger. He lived for some days after having a bad fall and suffered a severe brain haemorrhage and he is now at peace. Please, m

I had to go back to Russia quickly about three weeks ago. My wife's mother died. We could not make it back in time for her death, and my wife was hysterical in a hotel in Moscow when we found out that

During a rare ten minutes when there was time for a chat, my colleagues at work and I got onto the subject of our parents. I was saddened and at times horrified to hear some of the comments they made

Sorry for your loss MD. My deepest sympathy.

• Upvote 1

Lizzie I am proud of him.

Not enough is said about the parents who do it right, and provide well beyond their means. Although I got some sponsorship I passed out at Sandhurst. My parents were there.

FRom Hyson Green to Sandhurst is a long path, but I made it and made my parents proud.

• Upvote 3

Mercurydancer, We send you and your family our sincere condolences at this sad time. Your father sounds like a wonderful man and he has given you so much to be proud of him for. Your love for him shows what a special person he was to you.

• Upvote 1

A small story.

My dad was of a big family and went into national conscription. My uncle Cyril died but that is an aside,

My dad told me that on the day my dad got onto the bus to go into conscription his father, my grandfather, kept his distance but saw my father off with a wave onto the bus.

When I joined the army it was a bit tough. When I went through P Company it was more than that. I thought about quitting on one evening. I just put my pack on and went to the bus stop. I wanted to go alone. I got on the bus and he waved me off. it was a display of immense compassion. To this day I have loved him for it. My dad needed to wave me off as his father had done for him.

• Upvote 4

So sorry to hear of your loss Mercurydancer. Your tribute and your obvious affection for and pride in your Dad say it all.

Col

• Upvote 1

Sorry for your fathers passing . Your loss has some resonance with me as my mum was also a Dorothy .

Your tribute is very eloquent and he sounded a wonderful dad .

Mercurydancer: I'm happy for you that you managed to tell him your thoughts on your childhood and Christmases before you lost him. I was unable to do the same due to a major fall-out some time before my dad's death. Your dad will have died with happy memories in his own thoughts.

• Upvote 1

Mercury dancer, you are in my thoughts too, as is your mum. My parents were married for 57 years and parting, when it comes, is extremely traumatic.

If you are very fortunate, you are born to good parents who love you and do their very best for you. Sadly, good parents are not as common as we might hope, so you...and I...have been blessed.

You only have one dad. Mine was very special. Always there, although not a demonstrative man. He never interfered and only ever gave me one piece of advice: "I don't mind what you do, as long as you're happy...and you don't follow the herd!"

He wasn't a follower of the herd and neither is his daughter! One of these days, I look forward to being reunited with him.

• Upvote 2

Mercurydancer, I am so sorry for your loss, it is hard losing a parent, especially one so loving. It sounds like he had a long life, one spent with the love of his life, and a great son. You have been blessed.

• Upvote 1

As with Trerence the other day, we're all here for you mercurydancer.

Sorry for the quoting mick, but this is important, at least to me.

We are all here for you. Those are exactly the words you want to hear. I have been through some wars, literally, and as you would expect, as a nurse I have seen some people through horrible things.

The essential point about those very kind words is that when you feel like you are falling down, there is someone there. Someone will help. Even to know that there is someone there is enough. To listen, to console, to advise, to support.

• Upvote 5

Sometimes we just need to talk, and knowing that someone genuinely wants to listen and cares about how we are feeling, can mean so much. Take care of yourself mercurydancer and find solace in catfans words, we are all here for you.

• Upvote 2