over several weeks my computer has been getting slower and slower, thus I decided to phone the local PC shop seeking advice of what could be the problem, the advice given was that I probably needed more ram..

but after purchasing said item, it now appears I have another problem, inasmuch the blighter keeps eating the carpet and headbutting the furniture, and to top it all, the computer is still running slow!

has anybody any other ideas what might be the problem?

;) Ilko if you are serious about the problem i defragment the hard drive every so often but i think you are having a laugh mate...

over several weeks my computer has been getting slower and slower, thus I decided to phone the local PC shop seeking advice of what could be the problem, the advice given was that I probably needed more ram..

but after purchasing said item, it now appears I have another problem, inasmuch the blighter keeps eating the carpet and headbutting the furniture, and to top it all, the computer is still running slow!

has anybody any other ideas what might be the problem?

How often do you clean out the cookies and temp files?? You may be overloaded with that crap. You may also be infected with adware too!

My wife spent most of Sunday afternoon cleaning out crap adware that had got past her anti adware software and the computer ran 1000% faster.

I clean the cookies out daily and all temp files out daily, that keeps me running faster.

Thanks for the advice chaps, all of which you suggest is excellent advice and would normally cure the problem, but suspect it goes deeper, as all has been tried, even to the extent of reformatting the hd and a fresh system install to no avail..

I'm actually wondering how long the lifespan of a motherboard and processor are supposed to last, especially when they've been worked overtime and get overheated.. maybe it's time for a system overhaul.

Thanks for the advice chaps, all of which you suggest is excellent advice and would normally cure the problem, but suspect it goes deeper, as all has been tried, even to the extent of reformatting the hd and a fresh system install to no avail..

I'm actually wondering how long the lifespan of a motherboard and processor are supposed to last, especially when they've been worked overtime and get overheated.. maybe it's time for a system overhaul.

Could be your CPU on it's way out then Ilko, if you've done a reformat.

I'd be inclined to do a "full reformat" first though, not a repair type (soft) of one. I once did three reformats as my computer was running slower than a dead rock! The first one didn't seem as though it had been done right, so I did two more and I had no more troubles for ages.

Regarding Mobo's & CPU's. I have no idea how long they are meant to last for, i suppose it just depends on and your luck with them.......

I know you have tried it but like ayup i too clean out the internet junk every time i shut down only takes a couple of minutes to do..............

It maybe what you said ilko, CPU overheating. Have you tried another fan, one that's a little more powerful ? I think one would cost you about £15

"CPU you say ?.....

I've had a word with old Jim.....his son works with bleeding computers this is what his lad says..

1. Take off the lid and use the Hoover to clear the crap out

2. Make sure your fans (if you have any, which is not likly) are working

3. If it's an AMD Athlon, they last about a year and then start going downhill fast

4./ Chuck the bleedin thing in the bin....buy a box for about £300 from PC world, transfer the data over using Norton Ghost...back in business

5. Don't be such a prat....the inbuilt prat detector limits and slows down PC's (looking at yer post reason 5 seems to be the problem !) ....thats what Jim's lad said.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me guess, he gave her a good shove?!! ;)

That's what he gets for marrying outside his species!!

• 8 years later...