Last night, at 00:16 I had a drink of whisky. As I do every 6 June. It was the moment when troops dropped into Normandy on D Day.

About 30 minutes later, I drank a toast to Cpl Bartle, who to my knowledge, was the first Nottingham soldier to land on D Day.

I hope that I find many more Nottingham connections to battles so I can keep drinking whisky.

• Upvote 5

You could end up rather tipsy. I will get you started.

South Notts Hussars, 6th of June 1942 battle of Knightsbridge North Africa ordered to stand and fight to their last round after losing infantry support. Last round fired over open sights destroying the last attacking German tank. D Day landed at 1500hrs.

Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry. July 1940 Siege of Tobruk as coastal gunners. Defence of Alam El Halfa. 24th Oct 1942 El Alamein only unit to breach Rommels line in the first 24 hours of battle. D Day first Yeomanry ashore using swimming tanks they were in the first line of the assault. Recon troop First British unit in to Germany.

Both these TA regiments have glorious records stretching back to the Boer war including serving as dismounted cavalry at Gallipoli in WW1, their histories are well worth a read

• Upvote 2